ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-10, 02:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

brainstorm07 is on a distinguished road
Re: New here and NEED your opinions and advice

I'm going to psychologist, I have an appointment and I hope he will recomend me the right treatment.
Old 12-26-10, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Europe, but in the US, psychologists provide only counseling, and psychiatrists are medical doctors authorized to write prescriptions. Believe me, though, the quality of treatment you get varies widely from one doctor to the next, whichever kind you see.

I've been getting therapy for the better part of 20 years, and medication for about 15 of those. Because of my insurance coverage, I've seen a lot of sub-par doctors, and a couple of excellent ones. My current therapist specializes in ADD, and has it himself, as does his (adopted) son, as did his mother, and that makes a world of difference in the quality of his advice. I've finally found a psychiatrist who specializes in ADD, and the level of care and trust is the highest I've ever gotten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
brainstorm07 (12-27-10)
Old 12-30-10, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have another question for you,my friends. How do you describe brain fog?

I don't know if it is brain fog what I feel, but my head is in chaos! I can't read, have the strange feeling that something is moving inside my head,like flying (this part especially I want to hear your opinions about).

My mind is restless,I can't shut it down even now when I don't have anxious thoughts.

Did anyone else experienced that weird feeling in head? I'm realy worried about that.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-10, 07:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

PLEASE please someone respond me!
Old 12-31-10, 11:16 AM

Thanked 23,667 Times in 10,944 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstorm07 View Post
I have another question for you,my friends. How do you describe brain fog?

I don't know if it is brain fog what I feel, but my head is in chaos! I can't read, have the strange feeling that something is moving inside my head,like flying (this part especially I want to hear your opinions about).

My mind is restless,I can't shut it down even now when I don't have anxious thoughts.

Did anyone else experienced that weird feeling in head? I'm realy worried about that.
I don't know if I've felt anything moving inside my head. For me 'brain fog' felt like my head was stuffed with damp cotton balls. I had so many different thoughts, ideas, creative stuff going on, but none of it could find it's way through the cotton to make the right connection and do anything with it.

I would be talking or writing something and suddenly the word I wanted would disappear into the fog and I'd work so hard to remember what I wanted to say or write. Sometimes using a dictionary or thesaurus would help me get the word back, but by then I'd lost the train of thought and didn't know how to finish it.

I do sometimes get the fading-into-the-distance, changing-size thing. Sort of like Alice in Wonderland Syndrome (google it). But not as often since I started taking fish oil.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
brainstorm07 (12-31-10)
Old 12-31-10, 06:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

I feel like that too, just like you wrote but this thing realy worries me.
I describe that like flying empty thoughts.

When I'm not deep into thinking or creative working, I feel what I wrote in the post above. But when I start swinging my leg or doing something with my hands, it stops. I have to do something all the time so it would disapear.

Thank you Lunacie for responding
Old 12-31-10, 08:13 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I feel like that too, just like you wrote but this thing realy worries me.
I describe that like flying empty thoughts.

When I'm not deep into thinking or creative working, I feel what I wrote in the post above. But when I start swinging my leg or doing something with my hands, it stops. I have to do something all the time so it would disapear.

Thank you Lunacie for responding
I've always done my best thinking while sitting in a rocking chair or while walking - even walking behind the lawn mower works good. It's like it keeps one part of my brain busy so it doesn't get distracted from what I'm thinking about.

I used to make my mother crazy swinging my leg(s).
My granddaughter was making all of us crazy swinging her legs.
I guess I grew out of it.
Either she grew out of it or the meds helped her mind settle down so she didn't need the activity to settle her mind.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
brainstorm07 (01-01-11)
Old 12-31-10, 08:36 PM
Contributor

Icecream is a jewel in the roughIcecream is a jewel in the roughIcecream is a jewel in the rough

It is possible.The condition that must be met with your dr is that adhd must be diagnosed before the age of seven. My psychiatrist wrote a letter stating I have ADHD, that is (1) permanent diagnosis (2)that it has been present for me since the age of eight (3) includes a persistent pattern of impulsive behavior, mood swings etc.
The testing that was done (K-Bit, MCMI-III, MMPI-2, HTP, The Hand Test, Rorschach, Mental Status Exam) however, diagnosed ADD , Predominantly Inattentive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icecream For This Useful Post:
brainstorm07 (01-01-11), meridian (01-13-11)
Old 01-12-11, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

How the hell can I explain to my doctor that I may have ADHD even if I wasn't diagnosed as a child?!
I'm taking meds for anxiety, and I'm not anxious anymore, thanks God, but my racing mind drives me crazy!

My body has urge to move all the time just to keep in "harmony" with my head, even when I'm tired and physically exhausted.
I'm not thinking about anything in particular, just random thoughts and I can't stop them.
The Following User Says Thank You to brainstorm07 For This Useful Post:
meridian (01-13-11)
Old 01-12-11, 03:08 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,122 Times in 8,152 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How the hell can I explain to my doctor that I may have ADHD even if I wasn't diagnosed as a child?!
I'm taking meds for anxiety, and I'm not anxious anymore, thanks God, but my racing mind drives me crazy!
If I've missed something in a past post forgive me. I was diagnosed by a mental health counselor when I was 25. I was evaluated by a child study time in elementary school, but they said that because I could hyperfocus on sports that I didn't have it.

Many people are diagnosed later on in age. Why do you feel like you need to explain that to your psychiatrist?
brainstorm07 (01-13-11)
Old 01-13-11, 07:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

He doesn't believe!
Old 01-13-11, 10:07 AM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My body has urge to move all the time just to keep in "harmony" with my head, even when I'm tired and physically exhausted.
I'm not thinking about anything in particular, just random thoughts and I can't stop them.
I was diagnosed as an adult at age 59.

There are many reasons that some of us were not diagnosed as children, but that doesn't mean that symptoms weren't present at that age.

I find that Adderall helps a lot with racing thoughts and squirming, restless muscles.

Quote:
He doesn't believe!
Find another doctor!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
brainstorm07 (01-13-11)
Old 01-13-11, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I was diagnosed as an adult at age 59.

There are many reasons that some of us were not diagnosed as children, but that doesn't mean that symptoms weren't present at that age.

I find that Adderall helps a lot with racing thoughts and squirming, restless muscles.

Find another doctor!
Brainstorm lives in Europe and their understanding of ADHD is far behind ours here in the States. It can be very difficult to find a doctor and get a diagnosis for a child there, far more difficult for an adult.

Hopefully, the European medical community will become better educated about the facts, like the fact that ADHD is present from birth but may not be diagnosed until one is an adult (especially in a society that disbelieves in the diagnosis at all). And I agree that, although it may be very difficult to find a doctor who does understand ADHD and is prepared to diagnose and treat it in adults, the OP needs to keep looking. It's worth it.

brainstorm07 (01-13-11)
Old 01-13-11, 04:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks people for responding and support! I hope I'll find some remedy. It's realy difficult.