ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 11-26-10, 11:32 PM

lkngforanswers is on a distinguished road
Re: Retained primitive reflexes

Yes, I'm interested in the music myself..my DS still has bedwetting a couple times a week!
Old 11-26-10, 11:33 PM

lkngforanswers is on a distinguished road

Also, has anyone heard of metronome therapy? I need to check into it more. We've started the FG diet as well...
Old 11-29-10, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the rough

This is the program we got (thank you, MuscleMama, for the recommendation!):

http://www.visiontherapyathome.com/S...lts.asp?Cat=50

Brian picked it up from the post office this morning. He's been reading the material, and says he's amazed at how much he sees Julian in it. So we're hopeful that working through the exercises will help (although we expect much screaming from Julian and a lot of protesting that it's boring and stupid!).
Old 11-29-10, 04:33 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Great - please keep us updated
Old 11-30-10, 09:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

bunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the roughbunkie68 is a jewel in the rough

So, we did the first test last night, for the Moro reflex. As expected, Julian was horsey about even doing the test - if/when anything shows up as retained, I expect getting him to do the exercises will be a real joy! He was able to do the duck walk all right, but his arms couldn't stay at his side when he was walking with his toes pointed in. So there's some indication that the reflex is there, although not a strong indication. We'll keep notes and keep testing, and go from there.
LynneC (11-30-10)
Old 12-13-10, 11:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

And things have gotten derailed. We've been really busy with preparations for our Christmas music at church, and the exercises just didn't get done like they should have. So, now that we're past that, we'll be starting over tonight.
Old 12-13-10, 11:36 AM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Just keep plugging away at it, it's all you can do and it will add up in time
Old 01-13-11, 10:42 PM

simbella is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this group and just did a search for this exact subject. My daughter (almost 10) was diagnosed in May 09 with ADHD...and her Chiropractor also found that she DOES have the Spinal Galant reflex which was never integrated. I did some research on this when I found out about it and found a lot of issues kids have if they still have it, but nothing on how to integrate it.

I'm not sure what the vision therapy is that you are all talking about it, but I did see someone mention Interactive Metronome therapy. We are starting this in about 3 weeks. I've read great things about it and can't wait to try it. She's been on meds for her ADHD, but it doesn't seem to be working enough and we need to try something else. Not sure if the meds don't work as well b/c her ADHD is caused more by her primitive reflex or not though. I just hope the IM therapy helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to simbella For This Useful Post:
MuscleMama (01-14-11)
Old 01-14-11, 08:12 AM
Forum Guru

Welcome, Simbella

I'm curious how the chiro tested him, how many reflexes he tested for and what he/she recommended for the one(s) they found. I can look up the spinal galant exercises I have here and post some info. The link Bunkie posted on this page is for an at-home program you might be interested in.

Where are you going for IM? Will insurance cover it? How expensive (if you don't mind me asking) and how long do they think it will take? I'd love to learn more about it!
Old 01-14-11, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleMama View Post
Welcome, Simbella

I'm curious how the chiro tested him, how many reflexes he tested for and what he/she recommended for the one(s) they found. I can look up the spinal galant exercises I have here and post some info. The link Bunkie posted on this page is for an at-home program you might be interested in.

Where are you going for IM? Will insurance cover it? How expensive (if you don't mind me asking) and how long do they think it will take? I'd love to learn more about it!
Hi! The chiropractor had my daughter on all 4's (crawl position) took her finger and went down her back to the left and right of her spine. My daughter definitely flinched both times which meant she still has the reflex. She also has all the "signs"...bedwetting (which is rare now, but for a while was many times per week), the ants in the pants, the poor concentration.

We're going to start the IM through the chiropractor. Insurance does not cover it, but I just know that we need to do something. I don't know how her prices compare to others but she is charging us $45 per session and she should need about 15 sessions. She will probably go 2x per week. I am really anxious to get started. I did leave a message for her pediatrician (the one who prescribes her meds) to tell her that the meds aren't working anymore. I'm hesitant to start new meds now but we're not starting IM for about 3 1/2 weeks (we're going on vacation in 2 weeks and she told us not to start til we come back). We need to do something about her focus and fidgeting b/c that's all I can focus on right now.
Old 01-18-11, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbella View Post
Hi! The chiropractor had my daughter on all 4's (crawl position) took her finger and went down her back to the left and right of her spine. My daughter definitely flinched both times which meant she still has the reflex. She also has all the "signs"...bedwetting (which is rare now, but for a while was many times per week), the ants in the pants, the poor concentration.
This is Julian, to a T. I had him kneel on the floor and ran the curved side of a wooden spoon down both the left side and the right side of his back. I barely touched him with the spoon before he was flinching and twitching and squirming all over the place. We still struggle with bedwetting, too, and his teacher says he's still having problems with concentrating and impulsive behavior even though he's on Strattera. Perhaps I should look for a good chiro in this area?

We're going for an OT appointment tomorrow. I'll be taking my information on retained reflexes. Not sure if that's something they'll be familiar with or working with, but it can't hurt to talk about it! And Julian may be more likely to do the exercises if someone other than me tells him he needs to do them.
Old 01-18-11, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkie68 View Post
This is Julian, to a T. I had him kneel on the floor and ran the curved side of a wooden spoon down both the left side and the right side of his back. I barely touched him with the spoon before he was flinching and twitching and squirming all over the place. We still struggle with bedwetting, too, and his teacher says he's still having problems with concentrating and impulsive behavior even though he's on Strattera. Perhaps I should look for a good chiro in this area?

We're going for an OT appointment tomorrow. I'll be taking my information on retained reflexes. Not sure if that's something they'll be familiar with or working with, but it can't hurt to talk about it! And Julian may be more likely to do the exercises if someone other than me tells him he needs to do them.
I'm not sure if all Chiropractors are familiar with the reflex or not. Ours happens to specialize in working with kids which helps. Another thing I learned about this particular reflex is that it often happens when the baby has not spent enough time in the birth canal. So, it's more common if you've had a c-section or had a quick birth. Rachel was born too quickly. I had a fast labor and only pushed 2-3x before she was born. My younger dd (almost 4) was also born very fast, but so far she doesn't show any signs of ADHD. So, I'm assuming she probably integrated this reflex.

When I spoke to my pediatrician about Straterra, she told me it's a useless drug. Of course, this is a pediatrician and not a psych and I'm not 100% sure I trust her instincts on meds (even though she is the one who prescribes Rachel's Vyvanse).
Old 01-18-11, 03:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbella View Post
I'm not sure if all Chiropractors are familiar with the reflex or not. Ours happens to specialize in working with kids which helps. Another thing I learned about this particular reflex is that it often happens when the baby has not spent enough time in the birth canal. So, it's more common if you've had a c-section or had a quick birth. Rachel was born too quickly. I had a fast labor and only pushed 2-3x before she was born. My younger dd (almost 4) was also born very fast, but so far she doesn't show any signs of ADHD. So, I'm assuming she probably integrated this reflex.
I had a c-section with Julian (both my kids, actually, but so far, my younger son seems to be pretty neurotypical - he crawled, which Julian didn't do, and his coordination in some areas is better at age 2 than Julian's is at age 8). I'll see if I can find any chiropractors that work with kids - in this area, I'd imagine I can, it's just a question of how far I'd have to drive.

And from what I'm seeing, right now, I'd agree with your pediatrician. Strattera isn't setting our world on fire, that's for sure. I just hate to take Julian off of everything with the statewide standardized tests coming up in April - unmedicated, he'd flunk it for sure. His teacher says his attention span is better now than it was at the beginning of the school year, but not great, and his grades bear that out (as does the fact that he's gotten some zeroes for not turning in homework assignments - he did the work, it just didn't make it out of his backpack).
Old 02-16-11, 10:53 PM

Is anybody having any luck integrating the reflexes? We started IM last week and have had 3 sessions so far. It's too soon to know anything. I did a little reading the other night and think my daughter may have some sensory issues instead of or in addition to her ADHD. Her chiropractor agreed with me and was thinking the same thing. IM works with SID anyway, so that's not the problem.

BUT...I spoke to the chiro today and we had a nice long chat. She said she is starting a new program that focuses on neureodevelopmental techniques and works on these retained reflexes. This is what she is basing it on http://www.eaglecanyonwellness.com/patients.shtml She is recommending doing this over the IM and said she will likely still integrate IM into some of the sessions as well. I'm just not sure I want to do it. There is no proof that what she's going to do will work and I've heard good things about IM. I'm leaning more towards sticking with the IM and adding some neuromuscular massage therapy which is supposed to help with sensory issues as well.
Old 02-16-11, 11:21 PM
Forum Guru

Neurointegrative Exercise Programs
Movement through space is essential for proper areas of brain development; particularly important is the movement of creeping and crawling on all fours. Many children with neurodevelopmental disorders have delays in reaching various developmental milestones or have never reached them. These children may also have retained primitive reflexes, reflexes that we are born with and that should be inhibited by no later than the first year of life. Not reaching these various developmental milestones or retaining various primitive reflexes will impede the progress of higher and more sophisticated areas of brain development. This will result in poor motor, social, and academic learning. Based on each individual’s specific area of deficit, Dr. Buerger offers special “brain” exercises to promote proper development of neuropathways essential for learning and navigating through life. She also offers interactive metronome programs as part of treatment. These specific exercises also help to develop, or properly regulate, the sensory processing system.

This is along the lines of the Neurological Reorganization therapy I am doing with my boys. I have read and researched so much and I really have faith that this is the way to go. Do some searches for neurological / neurodevelopment reorganization / rehabilitation. The person we are working with is here www.activehealing.org. From what I can tell NR is the only therapy that truly looks at the big picture - the development of the brain from birth all the way thru the different ages/stages.

My boys are doing a lot of crawling and different exercises daily (ok, almost daily). It's a long-term intensive program, roughly 12-18 months of daily exercises at home - but if in a year or two my younger son can catch up to his peers then there can be no better investment of my time and money.

My concerns would be exactly what evaluations and exercises the chiro is familiar with and what kind of neurodevelopmental training has she had. There can be more generic programs like Brain Gym and far more specific programs like the indepth evals and personalized programs we're doing. Some info can be found online or purchased for use at home, too. I'd like to know more about she offers.