ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-11, 12:39 AM

Nomenclature is on a distinguished road
"I wish I could be like you... then I'd have all A's."

Hi, I'm a 16-year-old reporting a tl;dr intro from Michigan (ugghhhhh), and I'm a gifted student who REALLY got irritated when someone said that to her.

Why? Because it follows the assumption that because of my abilities, everything comes easily to me and that I have perfect grades.

It frustrates me even more when my now not-so-perfect grades give the impression that I'm not pushing myself hard enough and that I'm lazy, even though I'm more inclined to call myself a ____-up (note: I don't know the policy on vulgarity on this forum, soooooo...) than anyone else.

Or when someone says that "EVERYONE gets diagnosed with ADHD." Really?
I'm that one girl who put MORE on herself because she knew that she'd definitely be smart enough to LEARN anything... but turning in all the work in the timely manner is where she hits a snag, and then she either beats herself up for it or gives up almost entirely.

I'm that one girl who has considered dropping an honor class partially because of the teacher's "no late work" policy... but refused to go back to the normal one because she would get bored with its pace and the busy work involved.

I'm that one girl who is constantly called down to the office in the middle of class or on the PA because her smother-mother has a habit of dropping off forgotten assignments or supplies in the office.

I'm that one girl who pulled consecutive all-nighters during homecoming season in order to juggle the preparations her multiple clubs and AP class and CRASHED right after the actual event that she worked to make happen.

I'm that one girl who gets in trouble for not hearing a question that the teacher asks or the answer to it during lecture because she spaced out, and unintentionally bringing about homework for everyone else.

I'm that one girl who doesn't know that an assignment has been switched, no matter how many times the teacher said so, because the change wasn't written on the board for her to see... and then gets yelled at because, one, the assignment she DID got lost in the recesses of her backpack, and two, the new switched-in assignment was so much easier!

I'm that one girl who the school board is now trying to keep under control with its new "You're late for first hour? Here's a ticket for a round trip to the detention room because IT'S NOT THAT ____ING HARD TO GET TO SCHOOL ON TIME!" policy.

I'm that one girl that all the teachers know for her talent, but is on the verge of getting kicked out of her school's honor society chapter because of her conduct issues (see the previous point).

I'm that one girl who's been told that she was obnoxiously lazy and didn't deserve to be in the AP class as well as called out for not doing her work way too many times, only to have her grades drop even lower because she then spent too much of her resources turning her anger to herself due to her perfectionism... and then infuriating the teacher even more because now nothing's getting done.

I'm that one girl who her history teacher likes to make fun of for her unintentionally long-winded sentences (and he perceives them to be me trying to sound fancy) in essays and the cluster____ that once spilled out of her giganto-backpack when it got knocked over. This, I don't mind. It's more of a foible than a perceived character issue. The papers were just as organized on the floor as they were in my backpack.
Really? "Everyone" gets diagnosed with ADHD and this is normal for an honor student? ADHD or no ADHD, there's no doubt that I need help.

I know that I take my abilities for granted sometimes, but I also feel the need to make the most of them, like it's my DUTY to contribute. If medication (I got diagnosed two days ago, so I'm starting with 5mg dexamphetamine for now) or individual counseling is what I need to avoid chronic underachievement, then so be it.

Like one of my AP history (a.k.a. THE hardest class that my school offers) peers said, "That's SCARY. I mean, you have these issues all your life and you don't realize how much it affects you until you take this class, and then it's like OH, you have ADD!"

P.S. I'm that one girl who once gave up on even considering Ivy League colleges, but now believes that she has a chance at Harvard or Columbia after hearing from a current student there that the admissions office looks more for uniqueness than... er, robotic-ness in grades and that there's a mix of "well-rounded" students and "lopsided" students.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomenclature For This Useful Post:
m1trLG2 (01-08-11), pooka (03-29-11), stef (01-09-11)
Old 01-08-11, 05:53 AM
Contributor

m1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to beholdm1trLG2 is a splendid one to behold
Re: "I wish I could be like you... then I'd have all A's."

I wish I had found this inspiration in high school... I could have wasted less time in my life but you are awesome for this! My realization didn't come until I almost failed out of college... stick with it... you can do anything!
100% medicated
The Following User Says Thank You to m1trLG2 For This Useful Post:
Nomenclature (01-08-11)
Old 01-08-11, 06:29 PM

Nomenclature is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the warm welcome. (: I'm definitely sticking to it! I mean, might be one of the few people "insane" (I prefer idealistic, thank you. :P) enough to pursue goals of this magnitude in school, but also enough to go through with it.

I can't wait for college, where a great deal of the material is abstraction and theory and I get to choose my own requirements, though... School doesn't typically accommodate that kind of thinking or creativity, but I'm thankful that the psychiatrist caught the problem before my academic life went down the drain more than it had to for anyone to notice that there was an issue.

I found 15:08-17:45 of the following video quite moving:

Like maybe I'm not messed up or shouldn't be viewed as messed up in the digital age, where ideas are spreading at the speed of light and creativity is becoming ever more sought after, in spite of the "issues" that come along with it like impulsivity and disorganization.

Maybe it's not me that's messed up-- maybe it's the system that was messed up because of its roots in industrialism, i.e. creating interchangeable workers to operate machines to build interchangeable parts. Maybe divergent and digressive thinking really is a gift and I wasn't "allowed" to be myself... if that makes sense.

Second-highest rated comment: "Prime example of why Ritalin should be banned." I really do wish there were more people like this.

But yes, once I get the requirements out of the way, screw free hours and screw "easy" classes. I'm definitely going to load up on what REALLY interests me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomenclature For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (01-09-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-11, 06:40 PM

drummerdude92 will become famous soon enough

You have just described my school experience, from a girl's perspective.

In the words of the immortal Randy Jackson: "I feel ya, dawg."
The Following User Says Thank You to drummerdude92 For This Useful Post:
Nomenclature (01-08-11)
Old 01-08-11, 07:33 PM

Reuben is on a distinguished road

.. Wow ..

Giiiirrrll, simply saying that I can relate to almost everything you've said would be a huge understatement.. I don't know if I'm more exhausted from smiling and laughing at every single thing written here, or from trying to express in words how freaking amazed I am to finally come across someone so similar to myself within minutes of registering for a site I was almost SURE I'd never visit again.. 5 minutes ago I came swooping in here ( here being my studio (it's not really a studio, but I call it one anyway)) while scanning a newly bought bottle of vitamin C (which I’ve completely lost interest in) to see if it had anything that might affect the um, effectiveness of my Adderall, and somehow I’ve found myself desperatly responding to this complete stranger before my pizza burns in the oven..

I have so.. many.. questions. arg..

But.. for now.. I must go fetch the charred remains of my dinner and go watch Brokeback mountain on Netflix! :-D

~ Reuben

The Following User Says Thank You to Reuben For This Useful Post:
Nomenclature (01-08-11)
Old 01-08-11, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Nomenclature and thanks for the reminder about Clifford Stoll -- haven't though about him for ages!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Nomenclature (01-08-11)
Old 01-09-11, 01:38 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,906 Times in 12,688 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your post. I was that one girl, too. (almost 25 years ago)...
Old 01-09-11, 05:29 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,231 Times in 8,581 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard nomenclature. I hope you like this place too. Its a great place to be.
Old 03-29-11, 01:14 AM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. You sound sooo much like me it's scary.
I'm a gifted kid who is currently in the process of being diagnosed and I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of hearing "You're so smart, it's like you're not even TRYING!" Being called lazy. Having people say I need to put effort in. Having people who don't know my grades and my struggles say that I'm so smart and that I probably don't know what it's like to have bad grades.
What drove them to that assumption? The fact that I raise my hand in class? The fact that I can help other people with their homework (even though I can't seem to get my own turned in)? Heck, even the fact that I wear glasses?
What am I supposed to say to those people? "Hey, you don't know what you're talking about, I nearly failed out of 6th grade, it's a miracle that I pulled up my grades and survived middle school and am stumbling through high school."

I totally understand the AP dilemma. Buried-in-homework workload in AP or bored out of your mind in regular classes? Two things my brain does NOT deal well with are homework and boredom. So how do you choose? Ugghh that was kind of an accidental rant, but what I was really trying to get across is that you sound a lot like me and I get where you're coming from!
Old 03-29-11, 02:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

fletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nicefletcherface is just really nice

Welcome to the forums!

And kudos for not giving up and making the grades to be able to get into an Ivy League school. I didn't even get a 3.0 GPA... But scored in the 98th percentile of my class in standardized testing. (Standardized testing is a joke. ) Keep up the good attitude, you'll definitely make it somewhere.
Old 03-29-11, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

MrObvious is on a distinguished road

Wow I admire your tenacity. I certainly didn't have it growing up in school. Of course I didn't know I had ADHD either.
Old 03-29-11, 09:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,071 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

yeah... i was that one dude in school too, just my coping method was not to try harder or anything like that, i just stopped caring until matric where it was too late and i only maganed a 60% pass... i wouldve had a much higher score if i shared your attitude

BTW, i love your username...