ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-11, 03:45 PM
Jr Member

Freedom101 is on a distinguished road
ADHD or Depression or Both??

I was diagnosed with ADHD a year ago in NZ aged 34 by an ADHD clinic that I had myself referred to after learning about it, did a few questionairs, chatted with the Dr., was diagnosed and was prescribed Rubifen (Ritalin). I found the medication to be really helpful, it calmed me down like nothing I'd experienced before, helped me concentrate, lots of other things too. The only time it didn't seem to help me was when I was hormonal. I've had lots of problems my whole life with concentration, time management, some social anxiety, impulsiveness etc. But at the same time I also came from a stressful/dysfunctional home environment and yet have managed to build a career for myself in spite of all this.

Anyways, jump to now.. I've returned to the UK after having ended an abusive marriage in NZ and have been feeling really depressed (for obvious reasons).. Things here with family haven't been easy either plus female hormones. So I have been struggling with trying to pull myself out of the black hole that is depression and failing miserably. My ADHD medication was no longer helping me.

I decided to book myself in with the Dr. and she seemed to think that maybe it was depression all along rather than ADHD. I really don't know though, I am female and am far from the stereotype, not sure if it's a UK ignorance about ADHD or not but I believe that I may have both ADHD and depression.

The Dr told me to stop taking the Rubifen and to start taking Citalopram. I have only been on it a week and I know that I need to give it longer.. But have noticed that my moods are levelling out but my anxiety, concentration problems and restlessness have increased. I took 5mg of Rubifen today to see if I felt any better and I did a bit.

Any ideas or thoughts on this? Anyone dealt with Drs in the UK regarding ADHD diagnosed in adulthood?