ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-09, 11:53 PM

wonderist is on a distinguished road
Procrastination tips online?

Does anyone know of a free, online collection of tips for ADHDers to overcome specifically procrastination, i.e. getting started on tasks?

This is my absolute number 1 major problem with ADHD, and while my medication is helping a bit, I really need some focused tips/reminders on how to get myself out of procrastination mode and onto a useful task.

For me, I have a hard time with most procrastination related advice because it is too general, like "keep lists" or "put up sticky notes". I'm looking for something really focused, like how to break out of mental ruts, how to talk yourself into switching to another task, etc. Step by step, like: Do this, then do this, and if that doesn't work, do this. That kind of thing, not some general, fluffy advice that only works if you only have minor procrastination problems. Especially if it's related to ADHD.

For example, I was looking for a sub-forum here dedicated to Procrastination, and was surprised not to find one (since it's such a major problem for me, I assumed it would be for most others). That's what I was thinking of when I said 'online collection of tips'.

Last edited by wonderist; 12-16-09 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: forgot to say
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wonderist For This Useful Post:
innaminute (01-26-10), Krjv (03-27-11)
Old 12-17-09, 01:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Procrastination tips online?

http://depression.about.com/cs/selfh...astination.htm

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/742.html

http://www.amazon.com/101-Tips-Avoid.../dp/B001CKAXQS (you can buy a digital copy of this book for 5.88 and it includes all 101 tips)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
Cacho (01-09-10), fatefm (01-27-10)
Old 01-09-10, 01:00 AM
Contributor

Cacho is just really niceCacho is just really niceCacho is just really niceCacho is just really nice

Looking through those links trishcan.

The OP's problem is the precisely the one I have.

I actually have the lists and everything, I have the email open, but typing a paragraph I can already imagine in my head and hitting send just doesn't happen. I know what, I know when, I know how, but AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(Found the About.com article the most useful, specifically the 2nd page: Reward Time, Mental Tricks, and Best Laid Plans)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

innaminute will become famous soon enough

OMG. This. Is. Me.

I'm definitely going to check out those links. Thank you!
Old 05-21-10, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nyarlathotep has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks, Cap'n! NEXT!

The next article seems more promising:

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/742.html
"The messages you send yourself when you complete something on time can also be powerful deterrents to future procrastination. Procrastinators are used to feeling guilty about missing appointments and deadlines and turning in work that doesn't measure up to their ability - and they don't enjoy that feeling. Once you begin experiencing the relief you feel after finishing something well, it will be hard to go back to the guilt.

[...]

Merely to start a task - even if it's started poorly - makes it easier to follow through. Next time you find yourself avoiding something, take a "first sloppy step." If you need to write something, for example, start by typing random letters on the page. It is gibberish, but at least you will no longer be looking at a blank page."

http://www.amazon.com/101-Tips-Avoid.../dp/B001CKAXQS (you can buy a digital copy of this book for 5.88 and it includes all 101 tips)

tl;dr

I like the second article. If you can just break through that wall of starting the damned thing, sometimes that's all it takes.
Old 06-15-10, 09:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

I procrastinate reading those resources.

I imagine a simple web layout of "Get back to work!" that installs an annoying popup telling you to "Stop doing that" every 5 minutes would help me at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naussicaa For This Useful Post:
cantakeitnemore (08-19-10)
Old 06-16-10, 12:34 AM

nickel76 is a jewel in the roughnickel76 is a jewel in the roughnickel76 is a jewel in the rough

That's the worst thing for me too (starting task, staying on task, two biggest problems in the world for me). I wanted to figure this out so I found several well reviewed books on procrastination on amazon. They're in the Saved Items section of my shopping cart...

Since January...

Of 2009...

So yeah... I think any improvement on this requires some, shall we say, in-your-face tactics or it won't even have a chance of working. Like hiring someone to squirt you with water (or pepper spray?) if you put something off, then giving you a piece of your favorite candy when you complete a task. You know something like that, real basic level animal-instinct type operant conditioning stuff. That's actually a pretty good idea, I've gotta try that sometime...
The Following User Says Thank You to nickel76 For This Useful Post:
Krjv (03-27-11)
Old 08-19-10, 01:18 AM
Contributor

mechnik has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naussicaa View Post
I procrastinate reading those resources.

I imagine a simple web layout of "Get back to work!" that installs an annoying popup telling you to "Stop doing that" every 5 minutes would help me at least.
Exactly. Going online is a recipe for disaster as far as procrastination. There are applications like that. I just killed half hour looking for a certain one I recall seeing awhile back.
Old 08-20-10, 09:32 AM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Thanks for the links everyone!

This too is by far my biggest problem! I just stare are my desk and sigh.

I love ADD magazine, and I also subscribe for email updates. The tips are wonderful.......

My husband can start and complete a task in two hours that would take me two days! He just doesn't understand (or believe) that I can't do it. He says it's all in just "getting it done"!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 05-01-11, 12:34 PM

elysie100 has a spectacular aura aboutelysie100 has a spectacular aura about

When I found this thread I had been putting off writing a very simple email. For some reason I started it about 4 times over the course of 2 days but just didn't send it. It was not a difficult email to write either I just couldn't get it done. So this motivated me to just go do it! Feel so much better now!

Procrastinating is definitely one of my biggest problems. When it comes to housework I just tell myself, anything is better than nothing. I tend to feel bad when I don't do a great job cleaning, but if I wait until I'm in the mood to do a great job, I'll live in a pig sty for years at a time! It has been a long process and I'm still trying to get better, but I've made a lot of progress over the past couple years.
Old 05-25-11, 10:47 AM

lacaminante is on a distinguished road

I finally got around to calling my dentist today... who had been leaving me messages for me to call them for a while. I kept thinking to myself that I needed to call them when I would brush my teeth, but it would be too early or too late to call them right then- so I just thought, ok, I'll do it later.

The receptionist wasn't very happy when I called. Turns out it had been 7 MONTHS since they first asked me to call them. And I had remembered almost every morning that I needed to do it. 7 months of actively putting something off- this is probably A LOT more stress than just doing it!

Uggghhhhh

-Antonio Machado

"She who knows how to laugh at herself will never cease to be amused"
Old 05-25-11, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

Try Googling ADHD and Procrastination Teleseminar or ADHD and Procrastination Podcast. Tthere are some free things to listen to about ADD / ADHD and procrastination too.