ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-29-11, 10:02 AM
Jr Member

kmn232 is on a distinguished road
Question Xanax + Wellbutrin + Concerta......

I'm a 25 year old male. I was diagnosed with ADHD-inattentive in 2008 and treated for a short period of time on Vyvance 70mg. It was not the wrong drug for me and after a few months I stopped seeing the doctor and taking the meds.

This past February I found a new doctor who agreed with the ADHD-inattentive diagnosis but also added GAD and low grade depression to the mix. We started with 2x daily Xanax 0.5mg to take the edge off of the GAD, with the hope we would get truer responses from other meds. A few weeks later I started on Wellbutrin 150SR leading up to 300XL at 50mg intervals every few days. Was starting to feel a bit better on the SR, but as soon as I tried the XL all effects stopped. I went back to 2x daily 200SR and have been on it for 2 weeks now with the Xanax and have been feeling better, but I have only been doing better at work. My doctor thinks the Wellbutrin is working well for the low grade depression, but is not helping ADHD at all. So I started today on Concerta 18mg.

I definitely see the rationale behind the cocktail but for someone who has never taken maintenance medications before, taking three different meds is a lot. Has anyone had this specific mix before? Or known of a similar case?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-11, 10:50 AM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,134 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Xanax + Wellbutrin + Concerta......

Did you start off on 70mg of Vyvanse? I ask, because most docs start with a low dose and titrate up. Your body has a chance to adjust to each dose and work through the side effects. It also helps determine what dose is right for you.

Wellbutrin isn't for everyone. However, it does take a month or so to build up in your system before you see significant results. Or if you know the drug/dose is right for you.

Sometimes, it's best to treat one condition at a time--for several months-- and then start treating the other things. That way you know what's working for each condition, what dose you need to take and more importantly, what's not working. A lot of docs go this route. Are you seeing a pdoc or a gp?

It's not uncommon for ADHD'er to be on several meds at a time. ADHD and comorbidity with other conditions is high.

Look around here, you'll get some great info and you'll see that a lot of us here take several meds.

Welcome!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 04-29-11, 02:00 PM
Jr Member

kmn232 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome!

I was started off on Vyvanse 50mg and then increased after a month. The pdoc I was going to then was a highly prominent Adult ADHD voice in NYC and, while I know I do have ADHD, I felt his diagnosis in retrospect was irresponsible because he didn't really ask any background information at all. Each month when I saw him he would nod, I would say I was okay and he'd write the script...just not the relationship I needed or expected from a pdoc...I felt like he had an agenda to over-diagnose because of his prominence, if that makes sense.

And I'm seeing a pdoc now as well, a much better one .
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-11, 03:56 PM
Jr Member

CHMOM is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm checking in after a few years now, and need your valued input on my current situation. I used to take Bupropion 300 (Wellbutron generic) alone for ADD, but didn't see a benefit, and changed to Adderal, then Concerta 18mg, and now on 27, and started taking the buprupion 300 with it. I've noticed after 30 days that the combo is depressing me and if anything making me feel like a real procrastinator. I have major things to be doing right now, and rather sleep... The earlier last week, I overslept, and a headache emerged (like a hangover effect). I think it's because I didn't take my meds at the regular time.. It was a headache that got better after I finally did take my meds, but lingered until the next wake up day. The following day, I remembered to take my meds on time, and all was well..Yesterday, I took only the concerta in the am because I needed to pick up my refill of bupropion so I didn't take it until later around 2. Then less than 2 hours later was so depressed, I had to lie down in order to feel better. After a nap, I felt better with the depression but stayed in bed all day knowing I have so much to do paperwork wise..I watched TV knowing I have to face the world w/ so many things to do including paying my bills.. Today I didn't take the bupropion, and am worried that I will be getting depressed soon since I"ve been taking it for 30 days now, and will be going thru the withdrawal symptons, if any? So far, so good, but of course, I don't know if there are withdrawal symptons for bupropion ahead? Yes, I called my doctor on Friday afternoon, and he said to nix the buproprion if I'm feeling depressed, but today is Sunday, so I plan to see my family care dr. tomorrow. Can you suggest a good solution for me to ask him about and do you know if Concerta depresses too? Concerta 27 by itself doesn't work for my ADD symptons, and I'm feeling a lack of joy in life, and can't be like that. I have kids to think about, and don't even want to be with them so they won't be involved in my dilemma. I send them to School, and extra curriculars, but would like to enjoy them again too..I'm looking for something to help w/ my procrastination and also make me a motivated, happy person again... help !!

Last edited by CHMOM; 05-22-11 at 04:06 PM..
Old 06-02-11, 12:50 PM

renka is on a distinguished road

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) alone didn't work for my ADD, so I take Ritalin 40mg LA nowadays. Also, I take Pristiq for depression and Klonopin for anxiety. I've already seen the mix of Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) with Wellbutrin and a benzo (like Xanax or Klonopin) and it seems pretty common. I think you're in a good combination, although I particularly didn't like Concerta when my doctor prescribed it.
"Itís just that Iím the kind of person,' Rebecca continued, 'that thinks if you took a map of the whole world and put a pin in it for every person, there wouldnít be a pin for me." ó Elizabeth Strout (Olive Kitteridge)