ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-11, 12:28 AM

toadTunnel is on a distinguished road
how long is a "period of time"

i dont know if i have the motivation to post for a period of time for no reason
Old 06-21-11, 07:13 AM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,053 Times in 3,092 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how long is a "period of time"

In reference to what?
Old 06-21-11, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

I think these two are linked spambots, Eyeforgot

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104725
Old 06-21-11, 12:32 PM

Thanked 23,684 Times in 10,950 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
I think these two are linked spambots, Eyeforgot

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104725
A spambot? I don't think so. Spambots don't post, they only gather information like email addresses.

Hello toadTunnel. Don't feel like you have to post here. A lot of members spend quite a bit of time just reading things, maybe posting a little when they feel they have something to add.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 06-21-11, 12:37 PM

tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
A spambot? I don't think so. Spambots don't post, they only gather information like email addresses.
Spambots post spam...Hence the name. Looking at the second poster in the first thread this one made, with no new information in the post and advertising links in the sig. I thought maybe they were linked and the first gives credence to the second, since spambot makers are getting more and more devious.

Unless he can reply to this and prove me wrong, in which case I'm sorry, but the second poster in that thread I linked is one for sure at least.
Old 06-21-11, 12:50 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Spambots post spam...Hence the name. Looking at the second poster in the first thread this one made, with no new information in the post and advertising links in the sig. I thought maybe they were linked and the first gives credence to the second, since spambot makers are getting more and more devious.

Unless he can reply to this and prove me wrong, in which case I'm sorry, but the second poster in that thread I linked is one for sure at least.
Please post a link showing that spambots post spam.

Why do you think this person is a spammer (the correct term)?

The second poster in that thread you linked may be a spammer - s/he has a lot of odd links in her/his signature.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 06-21-11, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Took a look at the thread you linked - and I'd guess that person was trying to respond to another thread, maybe had two windows open, or maybe the server here messed up again. We've been getting double and triple posts for a few days.
Her signature is full of external links, she (it) has only one post that tells us very little...Classic spambot.

Quote:
Please post a link showing that spambots post spam.

The source of all worldly information, wikipedia, says
Quote:
A spambot is an automated computer program designed to assist in the sending of spam.
Quote:
Forum spambots surf the web, looking for guestbooks, wikis, blogs, forums and other types of web forms which it can then use to submit bogus content. These often use OCR technology to bypass CAPTCHAs. Some spam messages are targeted towards readers and can involve techniques of target marketing or even phishing, making it hard to tell real posts from the bot generated ones. Other spam message are not meant to be read by humans, but are instead posted to increase the number of hyperlinks to a particular web site, to boost its search engine ranking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spambot

Nowhere does it say that they don't post anything and just collect information. That would be a data miner, or something else.

The difference between a spammer and a spambot, I think, is that one is automated while the other is a person posting spam. If they can reply in meaningful ways, more likely a person, if not, its a spambot. I don't see how squabbling over definitions is important though, call it whatever you will, you know what I mean now.

Quote:
A hunch, I've seen hundreds of these by now. Again, if I'm wrong, I apologize to the OP, but I find it unlikely that its coincidence that the second post in his first thread was a spam bot, and this user himself tells us almost nothing.

OP could just quote me and say something to prove me wrong easily, I'm just stating my hunch. And priya899 from the other thread is certainly a spambot.
Old 06-21-11, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Her signature is full of external links, she (it) has only one post that tells us very little...Classic spambot.

The source of all worldly information, wikipedia, says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spambot

Nowhere does it say that they don't post anything and just collect information. That would be a data miner, or something else.

The difference between a spammer and a spambot, I think, is that one is automated while the other is a person posting spam. If they can reply in meaningful ways, more likely a person, if not, its a spambot. I don't see how squabbling over definitions is important though, call it whatever you will, you know what I mean now.

A hunch, I've seen hundreds of these by now. Again, if I'm wrong, I apologize to the OP, but I find it unlikely that its coincidence that the second post in his first thread was a spam bot, and this user himself tells us almost nothing.

OP could just quote me and say something to prove me wrong easily, I'm just stating my hunch. And priya899 from the other thread is certainly a spambot.
Spambots assist in the sending of spam - meaning the kind of stuff you find in your email box - and thousands of other people are finding in theirs, not intro posts on forums like this. I really think you have a misunderstanding of what a spambot does.

Whichever of us is right about it - the better thing for you to have done was to use the report button and let the mods handle the problem (if there is a problem).

Old 06-21-11, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Spambots assist in the sending of spam - meaning the kind of stuff you find in your email box - and thousands of other people are finding in theirs, not intro posts on forums like this. I really think you have a misunderstanding of what a spambot does.

Whichever of us is right about it - the better thing for you to have done was to use the report button and let the mods handle the problem (if there is a problem).
Why do you think forums have CAPTCHAs and e-mail verifications? Spam bots aren't limited to junk e-mail, I don't think its me that misunderstands what a bot is, they can take many forms.

Heck, the wikipedia article I linked has a subsection under spambot exclusively for forums, how does that equate to "only for junk mail"?

But again, no point in arguing over this, time will tell.