ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-11, 12:23 PM

alexr354 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are you mixed-handed? Or left/right handed? or ambidextrous?

Ambidextrous is defined and being able to do the same thing both left and right handed in all things. i.e swing a golf club left and right handed and be able to do it just as well, and apparently its quite rare

its ineteresting to read articals on Cross dominance and mixed handed. I dont think they are the same and shouldnt be classed the same. I am not cross dominant, my left ear, eye and foot are all left as is my writing hand, but I use my right to hold a racket, play golf, boxing stance is right. There are other things I can cross hands on.

But I am not cross dominant but I am mixed handed.

I have been looking into this due to anxiety problems that I have had all my life and so has my dad who is also mixed handed. (he also has a stutter and possible dyslexia). The problems have reached a point where I am now off work due to stress and I have always felt that my problems are in part due to my mixed handidness confusing my brain.

In reading other sites I have found that there is a suggestion of anxiety problems and phycological problems with mixed handers.

The main problem seems to be is the way they define mixed handers. The test they use seem to vary and there seems to be no clearly defined test to say you are mixed handed. For example I took one test and it said I am totally left handed and yet I am not. This was echoced in a recent study into mixed handedness that suggested there is a corrolation between phycological problems and mixed handedness. But that there is no clear definition of what is mixed hands.

Its interesting to read some peoples comments on here I am the same when studying, I feel sort of slow as well I am intelligent and can learn but as one person wrote it takes me more time for it to sink in and this caused frustration at school as I needed more time to take it in, this led to frustration and I suppose a kind of ADHD as I used to then disrupt the lessons and teachers couldnt work out how one minute I was fine and the next I was causing havoc in the classroom. Time and again my reports show throughout my school years "Alex is more than capable of handing very good work but is unable to conentrate" I am 36 so I supposed ADHD wasnt really labled as such then.

My mind always feels like there is a sort of foggyness to it that slows down the intake of information, but once you get through it bang all of a sudden I get it. I spend to much time on a problem sometimes as I feel I should be able to solve all problems. Thats good for my job as a fault finding engineer as I am extreamly good at my job because its problem solving. But it doesnt help in my personal life it hinders.

It has also left me in life feeling on the outside of things, I was bullied verbally at school because I was an easy target, someone who was quick wited would be able to hurl some sort of abuse at me and because it took a little time for my brain to process what is being said, I couldnt throw a quick wited remark back so I always ended up on the wrong side of a nasty joke. I would always walk away and then think why didnt I say this or that!

I also have seen other sites that people have suggested the problem also makes them feel like they have no direction in life and I am certainly the same.

I have read something about brain training which possible helps the brain to cope with mixed handeness I dont know if it works and the only place I have found you have to pay for so I am lothed to pay for something if its not scientifacly proven to work.

Also as you may have noticed if you have read this far my typing is extreamly quick and I dont always check the spelling, which is funny because other people mixed handed say the same.

I dont think there is enough studies done on the subject and I think they should stop labelling cross dominance and mixed handedness in the same bag as I think only hinders studies.

I would very much like to find someone who is studying the effects of mixed hands as I would like to participate.
Old 08-29-11, 02:12 PM

murlin99 is on a distinguished road

My father was both. He wrote mainly left handed, but could use his right hand when he wanted to. He pitched softball right handed and throws a bowling ball right handed. When I started school I would write text with my right hand and numbers with my left hand, it was confusing for the teachers so they forced me to use my right hand for both. My youngest son is primarily left handed but can use his right hand. He plays video games, and uses a computer mouse right handed without problems. Funniest thing was when he was in his playing Guitar Hero mode. He held the guitar controller left handed but never switched the game to lefty flip mode, so the notes came across in right hand mode but he held it left handed and could not play any other way.
Old 08-30-11, 11:54 AM

Sweet_pea has a spectacular aura aboutSweet_pea has a spectacular aura about

Good points Alexr. I think you're right in saying the terms need to be clearly defined (mixed handed, cross dominant). But I also think they are probably clearly defined when used in research studies, then get mixed up when reported by secondary sources like news websites.

I think a lot of people are slightly mixed handed? so there probably needs to be a threshold defined, too...

Murlin - writing text right-handed and numbers left-handed - that's very trippy kinda makes sense if you think they are tapping very different skills (language vs numbers) - maybe we all should write this way?

I'm left-footed I think, or maybe mixed, and mixed-handed, as I write right-handed but do almost everything else left-handed. I remember changing from left to right handed at tennis without meaning to, and being awkwardly stuck in the middle for a while, not sure which way felt comfortable. weird!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-11, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,455 Times in 580 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I've read this article, I'm fairly certain I'm mixed dominance. I used to think I was ambidextrous, but there are a lot of little things that make it seem that I'm mixed. There are certain things that I cannot do because I don't have a 'true' dominant side - I can't crochet, play the hand drums, snowboard, and occasionally I knock things over because my brain says 'pick that up,' and both hands will reach for it.

I can write with both hands, forward and backwards, and I can write two different things at the same time. I already know I'm left eye dominant, because I take pictures, shoot a gun, and use a telescope with my left eye. I don't have a dominant foot - I kick a ball with whichever foot it's closest to, and if you push me from behind, I will hop to keep my balance rather than stepping out with my dominant foot. This makes me great at formal styles of dancing, because I can take the male or female role, but a terrible snowboarder, because I don't automatically respond with one foot. I ate a lot of snow figuring that one out.
Old 08-30-11, 03:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

blgw99 will become famous soon enough

I'm mixed dominance, from top to bottom actually - I'm definitely right eye dominant, mostly right handed (very right handed for fine motor skills, left handed for things that require strength) and left foot dominant (when snowboarding, I prefer my left foot back for support and steering).
Old 08-30-11, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,127 Times in 2,741 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

right handed

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 08-31-11, 01:53 AM

Thanked 20,046 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Well on the one hand I might be mixed handed and on the other ambidextrous... mostly I'm just right handed.
Old 08-31-11, 03:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,016 Times in 463 Posts
Etcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud ofEtcetera has much to be proud of

I did my thesis on handedness, moreso lefthandedness and genetics, but also used a survey to research hand dominance in our school (and the obvious other things such as:
- How dominant is one hand in accordance to the other
- Righthanded vs Rightfooted vs Righteared (lol?) vs Righteyed (lol again)
- Genetics: As in: hand dominance within family
- Boys vs. girls
I specifically speak of hand DOMINANCE, because the question isn't as easy as "Which hand do you use to write with?". Hand dominance, in my thesis, was defined by twelve questions of day-to-day tasks, including:
- hand used to deal cards
- hand used to open a door
- hand used draw
- hand used to write
- hand used to throw a ball
- hand used to light a match

In order of highest percentage:
- Strong or exclusive righthanded
- Moderately righthanded
- Strong or exclusive left-handed
- Weak right-handed
- Moderately lefthanded
- Weak left-handed
- No significant preference

It is also believed that forcing a left-hander to do certain things right-handed at a young age, may cause learning disabilities. I do believe I also had a chapter (or at least a paragraph) about this in my thesis, but I forgot the outcome.

However, if you consider that the left brain hemisphere is reponsable for the right part of the body and vice versa, it isn't unlikely that forcing a child to use another hand than the hand it prefers, could lead to significant problems in the brain.

But, alas, I forgot the outcome and I would hate to jump to conclussions. I have my thesis still here somewhere, and when I run into it, I'll post the results.
Old 08-31-11, 03:48 AM

Thanked 5,031 Times in 2,374 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Left footed with a football.
Right handed with a pen.
According to the kinesiologists mixed dominance increases the odds of brain integration problems.

I take this very seriously as the brain integration exercises I am now doing are having an observable effect on my health.

Once again it is looking like staid, stodgy allopathic medicine is being outflanked by more nimble, less hidebound minds.

No doubt it will be discovered by allopathic medicine in 10 years time and we will claim to be opinion leaders, and to have made a great discovery.

Sorry about the cynicism - but i am a little cheesed off at the hidebound stupidity of my colleagues after reading yet another idiotic criticism of the proposed DSM V criteria for ADHD in the Medical Observer Magazine.
When the article comes out on line I will cut and paste it into a thread so everybody can read it.
I will also supply the work address of the author and the email address of the magazine's editorial page.

Spiritual Road Trip:
Enlightenment-- "Are we "there" yet?"

In medicine and science, as in life, we are all ‘prisoners of our training' and tend to dismiss things we haven’t learned and/or don’t understand rather than embracing them as opportunities to expand our knowledge.

Old 08-31-11, 03:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud of

"If the left hemisphere of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body then only left handers are in their right minds"

My mother is a lefty that was encourage to be right handed as a child. She had that saying posted on the wall for years as I think it really messed with her to be treated so fundamentally flawed.

I'm predominantly right handed, but some things I can do both handed and other things I have to do left handed. I'm hideously uncoordinated with a knife in my right hand for example. But my left side is stronger than my right.

The value of a thing lies not in what one attains with it but it what it one pays for it, what it costs us- Nietzsche
Old 08-31-11, 05:05 PM

existentialblu is a jewel in the roughexistentialblu is a jewel in the roughexistentialblu is a jewel in the rough

Very left handed for things like writing, berry picking, coffee sipping, rock skipping. I always use my mouse right handed, play guitar right handed, and managed to do stage combat with swords right handed. I can't really manage to throw a ball too well either handed, but haven't ever really wanted to work on that skill. In my figure skating days I jumped and spun reversed from most people indicating left-footedness. I do tend to hold the phone up to my right ear, but maybe that's just to keep my left hand free?
Old 07-14-14, 03:44 PM

sabotender has a spectacular aura aboutsabotender has a spectacular aura about

I still couldn't make up my mind which I am. In a way I considered myself 'mixed-handed', because I have a preference for using right hand for certain tasks, and left hands for others. For example, I write with my right but draw with my left (I can also write with my left and draw with my right, but I have a preference for the other way round.) I hold chopsticks with my left hand but favors my right hand with knives. (switching it around will result in clumsiness)

Other common tasks I tend to switch between hands easily, like I'll cut the left toenails with my left hand, and right toenails with my right-hand. Lifting heavy objects could easily be either hand.

When I was in elementary school, my teacher told me that is called ambidexterity (because she noticed I changed hands between tasks) but when I read about it, true ambidexterity is supposed to be equally good in either hand over every task, which I don't think I am. After all I have developed favouritism towards one hand or the other over specified tasks, but in general, I don't really lean to a dominant hand either.

So perhaps mixed-handedness is a closer term.

PS. the last I check, I don't have a dominant feet either. I switched between kicking using both left and right (playing soccer)
Old 07-14-14, 04:22 PM

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all

I use both hands. I write right handed and draw/paint left. Left eye dominant.
I can write lefty and sometimes I do because I cant always use my right hand. I was a lefty until the age of 5. My dad didn't want a lefty kid. I can just do about everything with either hand. I think my left hand is actually stronger. weird stuff A.