ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-11, 05:25 PM

TrebleMcBass will become famous soon enough
Question Reputation and Thanks?

Ok, firstly I'd like to start this off by saying.
This is not a request of reputation nor is it a request for thanks. It is a genuine question on these forum features of which I'm curious about.

So, I have been a member of other forums before, but never really active in ones with these features - particularly the 'Thanks' Feature. I did a quick search and while I did find a thead, it didn't really answer my question. I actually didn't realise that there was a 'reputation' feature (I thought it was only Thanks here... and I thought the green blocks probably indicated post count) until I received my first... Then after that I began to hand out some where I though deserving.

So, with both features available to use... when is it appropriate to use either the reputation and when is it appropriate to use the thanks button?

Also, I had a quick check and noticed through the 'Members List' that most Top Contributors seem to have reputation blocked - is this a good idea generally?

Thanks for any replies to my no doubt dull question
Old 09-21-11, 05:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,459 Times in 581 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reputation and Thanks?

I use the thanks when I think the poster made a good point, whether I agree with their point of view or not, I like what they said, or can relate to it.

I use reputation when someone just NAILS something, puts something in words extremely well, or writes a post that has a significant benefit (or detriment) to the board overall, etc. Reputation is supposed to be a "quick" reference as to how other members value that persons overall contributions to the forums. It's sort of the difference between 'I like it's and "that's amazing!"
BR549 (09-22-11), EYEFORGOT (09-23-11), julesjampot (09-21-11), LynneC (09-21-11), namazu (09-21-11), tired1823 (09-21-11), TrebleMcBass (09-22-11), Unmanagable (09-22-11)
Old 09-21-11, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,947 Times in 1,494 Posts
julesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant futurejulesjampot has a brilliant future

As you can see i totally agree with Kaimei post i'm hittin the thanks button Jules
LynneC (09-21-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleMcBass View Post

So, with both features available to use... when is it appropriate to use either the reputation and when is it appropriate to use the thanks button?

Also, I had a quick check and noticed through the 'Members List' that most Top Contributors seem to have reputation blocked - is this a good idea generally?

Thanks for any replies to my no doubt dull question
It's completely up to you whether or not you want your reputation visible or not.
Also, you can check who has given you the most recent reputation by opening your 'user cp' tab. It's good form to thank the person who gave you the rep, either in a pm or on their profile page as a visitor message.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (09-23-11), TrebleMcBass (09-22-11)
Old 09-21-11, 10:01 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,124 Times in 8,152 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

We got into this discussion a little bit on this thread:

http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108384
EYEFORGOT (09-23-11), TrebleMcBass (09-22-11)
Old 09-22-11, 05:15 PM

TrebleMcBass will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Thanks for that, it's cleared it all up a bit for me, I guess the thanks button in particular is good for those times where you appreciate someone answering something/giving advice, you want to communicate it, but posting another message would be a bit OTT, too - can still give recognition that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrebleMcBass For This Useful Post:
EYEFORGOT (09-23-11)