ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-11, 11:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 555 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of
Valerian

Valerian. I decided to try it to deal with some intermittent trouble getting to sleep, and some low-level random anxiety during the day. Lots of good reasons for it.

I've been a night owl forever and don't really get tired until very late even if I don't get enough sleep, so I thought if I got tired a little earlier maybe I'd go to bed a little earlier. But I tried exercise, turning the lights out, melatonin, Nytol... blah blah... I've been messing around with sleep hygiene and stuff since I was a teenager and I'm still up 'til 2 on a good day. I need 7 hours, if not 8, and I'm getting 6 most nights and catching up on weekends. No good.

I've now taken Valerian a few times at 10 or 11pm now... the bottle says take 2 capsules. I did that the first time and was sleepy all the next day. Since then I've taken 1 capsule, and have been less sleepy during the day, but still a bit. I've felt a bit more mellow but I'm still trying to decide what I think of that.

It did make it easier to fall asleep, I think, but I'm not totally sure I wouldn't have fallen asleep anyway. Sleep is a funny thing.

I take 10mg Adderall XR in the morning and I don't want to counteract it too much. It's kind of weak now after being on it for a while, which I think is contributing to my sleep problems. I slept very well when I first started on it. Either that or it feels weak because I'm not sleeping great.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I'm still trying to get a handle on it.

My next step would probably be an Rx sedative of some kind but I'm not crazy about the idea at all for various reasons. Just really need more sleep.

Time to find my sleep mask... and... Goodnight
lunaslobo (03-23-12)
Old 09-30-11, 03:24 AM
Contributor

SweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to behold
Re: Valerian

Valerian gives me a lot of vivid nightmares , the kind you still scared 10 minutes after waking up.

So I am using dramamine as sleeping pill , my doctor told me that I can't be on it for too long since it can cause some serious side-effects, but it's still better than taking Rx sedatives.

Meds: Ritalin IR 10mg + Vyvanse 50mg 1x/day | Pantoprazole 40mg 2x/day
Disclaimer: (If you see me posting something related with meds , please remember that I am not a doctor , I like to research but please don't take any action from my advices without talking with your doctor.)
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetCode For This Useful Post:
selita (10-20-11)
Old 09-30-11, 09:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,372 Times in 7,826 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I use Valerian as a sort of benzo like non benzo. Its helped with my anxiety. I use melatonin at night and for emergencies I have sonata. It's good for night waking and only stays in the body for 2 hours.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
selita (10-20-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-11, 05:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

Well, so far I'm getting pretty good sleep, except I've dreamt my BF was killed by an exploding film projector and that one of my dogs drowned in a huge storm.

Hmm. Not sure this experiment will continue much longer.
Old 10-07-11, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

danpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nice

I've had trouble sleeping since I was in elementary school, and Valerian root extract has been one of the best OTC sleep remedies I've found. I can't take it at the recommended dose (3 capsules for my brand) without feeling spacey the next day; however, when combined with melatonin (1/2 a tab), I have rarely ever needed that much in order to fall asleep. Regardless, if I need it at full strength, it's there, and being a little spacey is a lot better than dealing with the after-effects of run-of-the-mill OTC sleep aids, which leave me feeling sleepier and grumpier the next day than staying up would have.

For me, if I use the "normal" dose for more than a few days, the next-day fogginess seems to fade away without losing its night-time punch. Though I could just be getting used to it, and if you use Valerian in such quantities every night, tolerance will develop. I usually try to scale it back a bit when I felt like I could sleep without it, and I've avoided any major tolerance issues.

The magical mixture for me, which practically guaranteed restful sleep, was 2/3 dose of Valerian, 1/2 dose of Melatonin, and 1 dose (100mg) of 5-HTP. The combination would put me to sleep as long as I actually went to bed, and after the initial 1/2 hour hump of waking up, I'd usually feel pretty damn rested. That was my secret weapon, when all else failed.

(Note that 5-HTP did have a very marked impact on the frequency of my dreams. I never have nightmares, or at least they never disturb me, so this was more of a plus for me than a drawback. But it's worth considering if you're prone to bad dreams.)

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to danpan For This Useful Post:
selita (10-20-11)
Old 10-19-11, 10:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I've given up on Valerian for now. After 3 days use, I developed a headache that wouldn't even fade, even with a ton of ibuprofen, caffeine, and acetaminophen.
Old 10-20-11, 12:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Uuuh,noname? will become famous soon enough

I found I gained a tolerance to valerian very fast, or maybe it was just me, but I was taking about ten 6x concentrates tablets every 1-2 hours. It was when my panic attacks were daily and I wasn't getting to sleep till atleast 5am everynight.

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. "
-Raoul Duke, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
The Following User Says Thank You to Uuuh,noname? For This Useful Post:
selita (10-20-11)
Old 10-20-11, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Uuuh,noname? will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I eat my peas with honey i've done it all my life.

It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife.
Lol, very amusing indeed.

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. "
-Raoul Duke, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 03-23-12, 10:52 PM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

another good use for valerian root is it is a natural muscle relaxent if you have back pain

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 03-24-12, 04:54 PM

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I grow lots of valerian in my flower gardens.I love how it looks & the smell is wonderful.It comes back every year & seeds itself all over so I have lots of it.It's a very tall plant(up to 6ft)that rises out of the plant which looks similar to fern fronds.Then it sends up the tall stems & at the top is a flower.The flower of valerian is off white that looks like Queen Annes Lace.The smell is very sweet & it perfumes the whole yard.I've never tried valerian but I hear it's made from the roots.