ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-17-11, 11:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD0905 will become famous soon enough
Re: First Dose of Intuniv with Adderall XR

Yeah, same here, still can't concentrate like I need to for school.

Never tried Ritalin so I can't compare that one. The adderall didn't seem to help but I think it might have only b/c it's worse being off of it and on the Focalin. I had one Vyvanse left from before and took that instead of the Focalin the other day and it seemed like it would have been perfect...but I only had one left so I don't know if it was just coincidence or not.

IDK, like you said..it blows. I'm so over switching meds and dosages and still not getting anywhere. I see my doc Wed and am going to switch back to the Vyvanse and see if that plus the Intuniv works like it did for the one day.

Hopefully you figure something out before your other classes!!
Old 10-18-11, 12:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Yeah, not much time. Only way i get stuff done is at nifht when its totally silent.... There is something to that i know. Straight ritalin ir will do the trick.
Old 10-21-11, 07:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

So it looks like the Adderall and Intuniv is turning out to be the perfect combo.

I stopped the Focalin and went back to my Adderall two days ago when I was on the Intuniv 3mg dose and it was amazing! I could actually sit longer to get things done and finally just feel calm.

My doc just increased it to the 4mg per day. I noticed in class I could sit longer and wasn't as distracted by my constant need to get up and move. Same at clinical, I could actually just sit. I haven't gotten a chance to study in the last two days but it looks like this is going to be a huge help! Fingers crossed I just hope it doesn't wear off...

How's it going with you?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-11, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hey Hollywood, any luck yet for ya??? How's the meds going?
Old 10-27-11, 09:34 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Hey, it's been rough the ssris are really difficult. I just don't know, when I take one the mornings are impossible and it screws my sleep up too . After I get up and drag to work I don't feel that horrible but the fatigue lasts until the half life of the med is weakest . I am really stumped here. How is intuniv?
Old 10-28-11, 11:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

That stinks the SSRIs are giving you so much trouble. Did your doc recommend anything else to try? What are you taking besides the SSRI?

I am in love with the Intuniv/Adderall combo lol. Didn't see much of a difference with Intuniv at 1 or 2mg, but at 3mg it was so different and now at 4mg. The intuniv has really helped with my hyperactivity so I can sit without always thinking about getting up and moving and I think that's letting the Adderall work with my focus. I worked on my research project for 6 hours the other day and was completely focused, it was amazing b/c I really don't like research lol. I really think the key was finding something that really controlled the hyperactivity so that the Adderall could work for the inattention.

At 3mg I didn't feel tired except for the usual 2-3 days at first, no dizziness. I just felt calm and that let me focus on what I needed to do. I started 4 mg last week, the tired feeling is a little more pronounced but not like I'm falling asleep all the time or anything. I think not all, but part of my feeling "tired", is b/c I don't feel like I'm racing around at 100mph.

So basically I went from no effect on 1-2mg to exactly what I needed on the 3 and 4 mg. Right now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't stop working. Plus I'm worried about when I become tolerant of the Adderall since I can't increase my XR dose anymore and I don't want to do IR.
Old 10-31-11, 12:03 PM

well theoretically you may be able to get more bang for you buck with the intuniv onboard meaning you may be able to "travel longer" with the stimulant effect lasting longer per dose which would enable you to lower your dosages and lower your tolerance and gain more magnitude of effect from your total adhd coverage. Meaning intuniv allows more grace time per dose allowing you to extend your doses or space them out longer which may lead to lower daily stimulant intake which would be huge. Anyways, ssri or snri is pretty tiring. Only on tiny dose, but I've only been on it for a few days. With cymbalta mornings are sluggish and attention is not really improved but there is no anxiety. Makes me wonder if all my anxiety is actually a subfunction of low attention which would make intuniv the best combination . In the past when I tried intuniv it helped the most. I may continue low dose ssri and be able to kick wellbutrin and replace it with intuniv so I can bridge onto taking intuniv without being anxious about trying it. I think that may be the plan, and I have a good idea that it would work well.
Old 10-31-11, 06:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Yeah I'm hoping to eventually lower the adderall dose once I've totally adjusted to the Intuniv. It does let me go a little longer between dosages since it helps me slow down to concentrate a little more, but I still definitely notice the effects when the Adderall wears off. I am definitely in love with Intuniv and Adderall combo!! It is amazing the difference the Intuniv makes for me.

It might be worth a shot for you if Intuniv seemed to help the most and both make you tired anyway. It's hard for me to compare b/c I don't have anxiety, I'm just a hyper one It sounds like it's definitely worth a shot though since you're not getting the best results with the others. Just have to get through the tired phases of the Intuniv, and make sure you drink plenty of water.

Keep me updated! Good luck!
Old 11-01-11, 12:22 AM

Well i question the origin of my anxiety, i think its thought conditioning and habituation.... Too much time to get bored and habe access to google while i do 10 hours in front of my computer. I am the only person who takes a lunch break at my firm. Not normal. Its the bored worrying i refer too.
Old 11-02-11, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

It sounds like it would probably help. Are you going to try it?
Old 03-09-12, 09:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

cillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the rough

What would be the therapeutic advantage of taking Adderall XR + Intuniv vs. taking Vyvanse alone?

I only ask because my pdoc loves Vyvanse but I couldn't stand it. While I felt calmer and less "overactive" on Vyvanse over Adderall, life's important matters never seemed that important, e.g. preparing my apartment for a move well ahead of the actual move.

Adderall has always treated my spaciness/organization, prioritization and task completion issues better than any other ADHD med I've been on.

That said it doesn't cover everything, such as blocking out ambient noise at the office. And since I haven't had any BP issues on any medication, I could see my doctor asking "why take two meds when you'd only need one?"

All help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!