ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-11, 08:28 PM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Hearing things wrong/trouble making sense of things

Sometimes I hear the wrong thing. Today there were two examples of that.
Example One: My coworker said "I put it in your box." A witness insisted that she said that while I insisted that she said cart. Maybe it is because I envisioned her putting it on my cart.
Example Two: Another coworker told me to give an envelope to a fellow employee. I thought he said, "Tell him it's from the dean." That doesn't make any sense in my line of work. I thought that some guy named was making fun of his own name by saying "the dean". Anyways, the person I gave the envelope to said, "It was from Nadine. Why did you write "from the dean"?

One time my husband came home and said, "I put some watermelon in the fridge". I said, "What about the Watertown Bridge?" Another thing is my husband was talking about something pretty simple and I just didn't get it.

Another example: Someone held up two fingers to me. In hindsight I know she meant 2 but at the time I thought she meant 11 or 22. Don't ask me why because I don't know why....

PLEASE! If you can relate, respond to this!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sybil For This Useful Post:
full_throttle (11-23-11), Jynical (08-18-12), Komod0Dragon (11-26-11), Lillianmay (11-18-11), Spacemaster (03-30-12), stef (11-20-11), Tristan Jay (11-19-11), Unmanagable (11-19-11), varied_in_style (03-24-12)
Old 11-18-11, 09:51 PM

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,493 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hearing things wrong/trouble making sense of things

YES! I can't think of examples right now, but it happens to me all day every day. My mother complained about me all the time, saying "I never listen". In reality, I could be looking at her, trying real hard to listen, but I still didn't hear properly. Check out Auditory Processing Disorder. I am convinced that I have it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
Komod0Dragon (11-26-11), Lillianmay (11-18-11), sybil (11-18-11), Unmanagable (11-19-11), varied_in_style (03-24-12)
Old 11-18-11, 09:59 PM
Contributor

Lillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud of

Is this a new problem or have you always had trouble hearing things right? Is it worse if there is background noise? You should probably start by getting your hearing tested.

If you have always had this problem then you might have Auditory Processing Disorder (APD), which is a problem with processing language in the brain. It is sometimes associated with ADHD and also dyslexia. I do not know what can be done for it as I am still being diagnosed. You might get some info from this site: Auditory Processing Disorder in the United Kingdom (APDUK)

www.apduk.org/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillianmay For This Useful Post:
sybil (11-18-11), Unmanagable (11-19-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-11, 10:55 PM
Contributor

I've had my hearing tested and it is fine. The problem has gone on as long as I can remember.
Old 11-18-11, 11:21 PM
Contributor

Lillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud of

Auditory Processing Disorder is a processing difficulty in the brain. The hearing ability of the ears is just fine, so a regular hearing test will not pick it up. It has to be specially tested for. Sometimes it is called Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD). You might want to look it up on the internet and see if it fits your experience. I find that if I tell friends about my APD they are a little more understanding of my missing parts of what they say.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillianmay For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-23-11), sybil (11-18-11), Unmanagable (11-19-11)
Old 11-19-11, 12:57 AM
Jr Member

momewrath is on a distinguished road

I think I have a lot of trouble understanding accents (even very slight) because of my ADD. Here's an example of an issue I had while talking to a friend...

We were in Sarasota, FL, which is on the west, gulf coast and is a popular place for golfing and this is how I heard it:

friend: I think it rains every day here in the afternoon because of the golf
me: well the golf courses do have a lot of grass that wouldn't otherwise be there and there's a lot of extra watering involved, but do you really think it could affect the weather?
friend: what?
me: huh?
friend: the gULLLf
me: oh

My friend was from the Midwest and has a slight accent where "golf" and "gulf" sound the same.

another example is that in class my teacher mentioned physical characteristics of a newborn (nursing school) but I heard it as "fiscal" characteristics, even wrote it in my notes like that and it took me like 2 days to figure out she meant "physical", after asking my classmates about it because I couldn't find anything about fiscal characteristics of babies lol.

I really do believe the problem lies with the way people pronounce things and I have a hard time generalizing to interpret their meaning vs what I hear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momewrath For This Useful Post:
Jynical (08-18-12), Unmanagable (11-19-11)
Old 11-19-11, 03:34 AM

allie_b is on a distinguished road

Was an IQ test part of your ADHD assessment?

It was part of mine. I scored very superior or superior in most sections of the test but only above average in the auditory recall section.

It's a trait, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil View Post
I've had my hearing tested and it is fine. The problem has gone on as long as I can remember.
Old 11-19-11, 08:39 AM

Tristan Jay is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have exactly what you are describing. During my ADD testing it was described to me simply as a Hearing Impairment, having to do with the brain's ability to process auditory information. He didn't give the precise terminology others have mentioned in this thread.

Those are great examples, BTW, it describes exactly the sort of things I experience. It is most frustrating at work, when I have difficulty comprehending co-workers, and I get this incredulous look from them and end up feeling stupid.

Your example with someone holding up two fingers is fascinating, I think occasionally my mind will play tricks on my and do similar things; I can see how that can happen.

Quote:
Was an IQ test part of your ADHD assessment?

It was part of mine. I scored very superior or superior in most sections of the test but only above average in the auditory recall section.
I had an IQ test done during my ADD testing, got good results (just weak in math). It's been infuriating, that sense of having my intelligence trapped in a brain that functions in ways that make me seem significantly less intelligent. I could look at it in a positive light and be grateful that it's enabled me to cope better than I might have otherwise; but the problem with that is I've coped to the point of seeming okay superficially, and getting a diagnosis has now come late in the day because I coped well enough to make it difficult to spot for a long time.
Old 11-19-11, 08:45 AM
Contributor

I haven't had my IQ tested.
Old 11-19-11, 05:53 PM

Wildwood is on a distinguished road

This is not uncommon with ADHD. When my daughter was in school we had to request that teachers not only give assignments orally but also in written form. They were required to do this to accommodate her needs.

I learned long ago that I needed to write things down AND/or have others write things down. A leaky short term memory is just part of the ADHD challenge. You have to insist that others realize this NOT your laziness. It's a hidden handicap that can be accommodated.

When getting directions I ALWAYS insist (pleasantly) that I have time to draw a map and/or write it all down. Otherwise, well . . . it is easily lost by the short-term memory difficulties of the ADHD brain.

Also, thinking "on the spot" is also difficult b/c of "brain freeze" which is also not uncommon with ADHD. However, when you can get off to yourself and soft the directions or information that are written down, it only takes a few minutes longer to get it clear in your mind.

You have to RESPECT YOURSELF and ask for what you need without apology just like those with visible handicaps must.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildwood For This Useful Post:
stef (11-20-11)
Old 11-19-11, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,563 Times in 3,899 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have a problem processing auditory information properly. There are a lot of people who misunderstand what I say too.

We all end up saying 'what? what?' to each other.
Old 11-19-11, 07:02 PM

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

"Active Listening" techniques seem to help a lot with this.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8368846_act...ng-skills.html

truth be told, the more I work on this the more I'm seeing a lot of people only half listen.... we just get caught more often.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 11-20-11, 01:17 AM

Tristan Jay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
"Active Listening" techniques seem to help a lot with this.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8368846_act...ng-skills.html

truth be told, the more I work on this the more I'm seeing a lot of people only half listen.... we just get caught more often.
Definitely good stuff. Yet, it's frustrating I have these difficulties even though I've known and been using these techniques already for quite a while.
Old 11-20-11, 06:54 AM

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

me too. Communication is a two way street, so it could be the other person is mumbling or they aren't clear expressing their ideas. This is where I have to really push myself to stick with them until I know we understand each other.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
Old 11-23-11, 01:02 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil View Post
Sometimes I hear the wrong thing. Today there were two examples of that.
Example One: My coworker said "I put it in your box." A witness insisted that she said that while I insisted that she said cart. Maybe it is because I envisioned her putting it on my cart.
Example Two: Another coworker told me to give an envelope to a fellow employee. I thought he said, "Tell him it's from the dean." That doesn't make any sense in my line of work. I thought that some guy named was making fun of his own name by saying "the dean". Anyways, the person I gave the envelope to said, "It was from Nadine. Why did you write "from the dean"?

One time my husband came home and said, "I put some watermelon in the fridge". I said, "What about the Watertown Bridge?" Another thing is my husband was talking about something pretty simple and I just didn't get it.

Another example: Someone held up two fingers to me. In hindsight I know she meant 2 but at the time I thought she meant 11 or 22. Don't ask me why because I don't know why....

PLEASE! If you can relate, respond to this!
This happens to me when I'm dreaming. When I dream of something, it makes perfect sense but then when I wake up and think about it I realize it makes zero sense like...in one of my dreams, the following made perfect sense:

''I should door the entry into it...before it doors it'' And while I was thinking this, I was closing a door to prevent someone from getting in.

When I woke up I had no clue what that meant but moments ago when I was still asleep, I swear that statement seemed crystal clear.

If it happens to you in real life you may have a problem worth investigating.