ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-12, 11:33 AM

-Nick- is on a distinguished road
I'm Nick, I'm new.

I'm having real trouble writing anything.

I am 23 and newly diagnosed with ADHD. I have been directly seeking this diagnosis for about three years and indirectly seeking it for about... seven years (an indication of how poorly funded the mental health services are in England, but at least it was free.)

I think my ADHD was missed in childhood because I was able to get very good grades without seriously applying myself, at least up until my A-levels. Evidently you can behave as bizarrely as you like as long as you are buoying the league tables.

Anyway, I'm now waiting for a final letter in the post detailing my diagnosis (mixed or primarily inattentive). I know it's mixed type, but I have a feeling they will diagnose me with primarily inattentive. I think their confusion stems from my relative lack of motor hyperactivity (which I can control, most of the time.) Fortunately the treatment is the same, so I'm not overly fussed.

I've had to coax, threaten and generally hold hands with every level of the medical establishment to get to this point. As a result, I'm quite cynical and pessimistic when it comes to discussing my 'problems' and any possible solutions.

I'm also extremely wary of allowing myself to feel interested or 'passionate' about anything, as I know from experience that this will be short-lived. This is probably the main factor preventing me from making any real progress in my life - in reality I am massively interested by almost every topic I come across, but if I decide to pursue an interest you can guarantee that a month or so down the line I will simply stop caring about it.

Consequently I've started knocking myself back before this happens in an attempt to save myself the time, money and disappointment, but I worry that I might be missing out on life experiences, or maybe a 'real' lifelong passion as a result (if there is such a thing for somebody like me).

Fortunately I should be starting on Ritalin within the next fortnight and I can't help hoping that it will make a massive difference. I really need it to.

Anyway, 'Hello' to everybody on the forums - I hope we can all help each other in some way.

Nick
Old 01-05-12, 11:45 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,661 Times in 787 Posts
Simenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant futureSimenora has a brilliant future
Re: I'm Nick, I'm new.

hi Nick, welcome to the forums. Medication can make a huge difference in some people's lives. Hope it does for you.My doc always says though "pills dont teach skills"
The Following User Says Thank You to Simenora For This Useful Post:
-Nick- (01-05-12)
Old 01-05-12, 05:30 PM
Contributor

emploding has a spectacular aura aboutemploding has a spectacular aura about

Hi Doctor Nick!

Sorry, I don't usually quote The Simpsons in conversation but for some reason I couldn't help it.

Welcome to the forums

Dx: Bipolar II, ADD, DID, PTSD, Anxiety disorders, Eating disorder

Rx: Citalopram, Topamax, Ritalin
The Following User Says Thank You to emploding For This Useful Post:
-Nick- (01-05-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-12, 05:37 PM
Contributor

ChicharitoFan14 will become famous soon enough

Hey nick
Welcome to the forums hope its helpful for you