ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-29-12, 01:26 PM
Contributor

mechnik has disabled reputation
Re: Does Adderall Make You Feel High... Like Cocaine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC360CNN View Post
I experimented with cocaine in college with extreme moderation, never impulsively or spontaneously taking it, but I loved it!

Now I'm prescribed Adderall IR, and its oddly similar. Even when I take only half my daily dose, I feel so on top of the world on it, much like cocaine.

Anyways, anyone else feel a similarity between the two?
No experience to compare with cocaine or anything like that.
I now began to take Adderall after a long break and find it provides a sense of well being I described as mildly euphoric, as well as a calming effect. When I had Adderall prescribed in the past it made me feel more anxious, agitated, and really pushed up my resting heart rate. No such effects this time after few weeks.
buddy (01-29-12)
Old 01-29-12, 02:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

icecreamfiend is a jewel in the roughicecreamfiend is a jewel in the roughicecreamfiend is a jewel in the rough

If anything, medication brings me back to earth. At first I really didn't notice a difference when starting on stimulants but after I got to a high enough dose, after finding the previous prescribed amount wouldn't work or only lasted about a week, I only then realized the difference between the medicated me and unmedicated me. Boy it's drastic! When I come off my medication at night, it feels as if I am getting high, or I guess buzzed from alcohol would be a better comparison.

I feel so out of it and spacey with a delayed response time to people or things around me. The best way I can describe the sensation to people who don't have ADD is it feels like you are walking through the world as an observer. Sure you interact with it but you aren't mentally there. There is almost like two realities occurring at the same time, the one you are observing, and the one inside your head with all the thoughts and images flashing around.

So back to the question, no. I'm "high" without the meds.
Old 01-29-12, 02:42 PM
Jr Member

astroidea is on a distinguished road

I have tried cocaine, on two occasions. I actually feel that adderall feels like a stronger version of coke that lasts longer.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-12, 02:51 PM
Jr Member

astroidea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by siglerja View Post
Comparing cocaine to Adderall is like comparing apples to oranges. If the thesis statement or a point the speaker was trying to make centered on simularities between coke and amphetamine, saying the "effect profiles" are similar is just broad, point-driving language for "They're both stimulants." The same could be said for any stimulant drug or substance - Stimulants all carry the same general effect profile, it's the little things and the patient's actions that seperate theraputic drugs from drugs of abuse.

Cocaine's show is almost entirely dopamine, and it really hammers your receptors. It is intended for euphoria and the chemical composition, method of delivery and dosing is centered around experiencing euphoria. The effect is so acute and intense that it has no theraputic value - In fact, it is counterproductive and dangerous to use to self-medicate basically anything with because of the damage it will do to your dopamine reuptake process and your general ability to be stimulated. The brain scan of someone using cocaine looks like a paintball exploded - The brain scan of someone on a theraputic dose of Adderall doesn't look remotely close, especially after the dopamine impact it has in the intial stages of use wears off.
Good points.
Although I want to point out that if you snorted adderall like how you snort cocaine... the effects wouldn't be too far off. Both hammers your dopamine receptors. Both works on your dopamine transporters to inhibit reuptake.
The mechanisms of action are very similar.

The difference is primarily in the route of administration(snorting vs ingesting), and the dosage.
Old 01-29-12, 03:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

AC360CNN will become famous soon enough

I did cocaine occasionally in college, amd of wasn't until later that I was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall.

The doctor told me to take 20mg IR twice a day. It's been 3 months and I still don't take more than 10mg at a time. The most I've had in a day has been the full 40mg but it was spaced out, 10mg at a time over a long day. Adderall feels so strong to me. Just 10mg often has me turning up my music and just feeling on top of the world much like cocaine did.

If I had taken 20mg at once, having never had it before, I would venture to say it might have hit me even harder than a couple lines of cocaine.

Perhaps I have very sensitive dopamine sensors, or rather, my dopamine reuptake is easily hindered by Adderall.
Old 01-29-12, 10:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

YOUCANCALLMEAL will become famous soon enough

My therapist asked me if I had ever used cocaine. I hadn't. But he did say if you truly have ADD you get a very different reaction to cocaine than those that don't. IE Not high and all over the place, more introspective and "chill" and that's pretty much what Adderall is doing for me

I also know very well from first hand experience that us ADDers have a much different reaction to opiates. They are stimulant for most of us.

Fascinating that these drugs have such a different effect on us
Old 01-29-12, 10:50 PM
Jr Member

Knotting Blob is on a distinguished road

Definitely no euphoria like cocaine. In hind sight, I think I was attracted to cocaine because of the very reason I have ADD, though I didn't know I had ADD back then. I thought I was... just off and not like everyone else... didn't know what though and I had to always disguise my "differentness". Cocaine helped me be like everyone else in social situations, and focused... I thought. You are hyper focused but the euphoria gets in the way.
Old 01-29-12, 10:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,331 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAADINOC View Post

I also know very well from first hand experience that us ADDers have a much different reaction to opiates. They are stimulant for most of us.
I've had that sort of reaction to certain doses of opiates, but cocaine just made me want to take a nap.
Old 01-30-12, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

I had no idea that people with ADHD have a stimulant reaction to opiates. Even when I take a relatively large does of codeine (on days where my back pain 'flares') I have found myself super-talkative and of course, euphoric as well. Leads to a really dry mouth...
Old 01-30-12, 12:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron90 View Post
I had no idea that people with ADHD have a stimulant reaction to opiates. Even when I take a relatively large does of codeine (on days where my back pain 'flares') I have found myself super-talkative and of course, euphoric as well. Leads to a really dry mouth...
Yes I have been learning a lot about myself the last couple months through this. In a nutshell, I have had a huge issues with opiates, not because they make me feel "high" but because they totally eliminate all my ADD symptoms, makes me super social, productive, energetic, etc. I always felt so confused and guilty by this but now I understand. My ADD therapist says he has had a lot of patients that have had problems with painkillers as a result. I was taking super large quantities and no one knew it because I was in the zone

Adderall is similar...most of my ADD stuff is gone, but cant say I get much energy from it. I honestly still prefer opiates to Adderall but I feel better I am actually treating a problem with the correct medication rather than abusing another one....even though I think science needs to look "outside the box" and see what some of these meds can do for people with mental disorders outside of the pain only tunnel...
The Following User Says Thank You to YOUCANCALLMEAL For This Useful Post:
ADDmeIn (02-04-12)
Old 01-30-12, 12:11 PM
Jr Member

Knotting Blob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes I have been learning a lot about myself the last couple months through this. In a nutshell, I have had a huge issues with opiates, not because they make me feel "high" but because they totally eliminate all my ADD symptoms, makes me super social, productive, energetic, etc. I always felt so confused and guilty by this but now I understand. My ADD therapist says he has had a lot of patients that have had problems with painkillers as a result. I was taking super large quantities and no one knew it because I was in the zone

Adderall is similar...most of my ADD stuff is gone, but cant say I get much energy from it. I honestly still prefer opiates to Adderall but I feel better I am actually treating a problem with the correct medication rather than abusing another one....even though I think science needs to look "outside the box" and see what some of these meds can do for people with mental disorders outside of the pain only tunnel...
That's interesting about opiates.
Old 01-30-12, 12:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Hmmm... you prefer opiates to Adderall? Interesting. I take codeine for back pain (from an compression fracture from an accident years back) and I like the euphoria that it gives. But it does not do anything for my ADHD symptoms, besides maybe calming me down and making me less impulsive in doing things, but I talk excessively. That's just my case.

I do feel very sociable when I'm on my painkillers but it's not something that I would always like to feel. I cannot really do work or concentrate on opiates. Self-medicating with opiates is not a good idea at all, but I have read reports of opiates being used in EXTREME cases of treatment resistant depression. I was given dexedrine for my depression as an off-label treatment a few years ago. The main thing with opiates is the issue of tolerance and addiction, which can be absolutely devastating.
Old 01-30-12, 06:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron90 View Post
Hmmm... you prefer opiates to Adderall? Interesting. I take codeine for back pain (from an compression fracture from an accident years back) and I like the euphoria that it gives. But it does not do anything for my ADHD symptoms, besides maybe calming me down and making me less impulsive in doing things, but I talk excessively. That's just my case.

I do feel very sociable when I'm on my painkillers but it's not something that I would always like to feel. I cannot really do work or concentrate on opiates. Self-medicating with opiates is not a good idea at all, but I have read reports of opiates being used in EXTREME cases of treatment resistant depression. I was given dexedrine for my depression as an off-label treatment a few years ago. The main thing with opiates is the issue of tolerance and addiction, which can be absolutely devastating.
Yes and that's the problem is tolerance and it happens quickly...plus they mix the stuff with tylenol and that's so harsh on your liver so you start taking a lot and it becomes dangerous.

Everyone is different and no one reacts the same. I don't want to turn this into a thread getting ADDers jazzed about trying painkillers to help with their ADD...that path goes nowhere. But I am in the very early stages of Adderall so it's still early to say but yes I'd say I prefer opiates. Adderall has killed my appetite, caused some sleep issues, etc and I didn't really have and bad side effects from Norco/Vicodin as long as I didn't take it close to bedtime, because it was such a crazy stimulant for me it gave me insomnia.

Funny how a "depressant" in vicodin was actually a stimulant and a "stimulant" in adderall actually acts as more of a depressant for...calming me down and slowing everything down
The Following User Says Thank You to YOUCANCALLMEAL For This Useful Post:
cameron90 (01-30-12)
Old 01-31-12, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,454 Times in 579 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUCANCALLMEAL View Post

I walked a very fine line with opiates for a long time, because I experienced much the same thing you describe: calm, focused, capable, relaxed. My tolerance to stress was hugely increased, and I functioned extremely well on them. I could drive, go to work, etc, safely and productively on 1500 mgs of percocet, and I'm only 5'2" and 105 lbs. It
was easy for me because I've been prescribed opiates for long periods of time in fairly large doses due to other health issues and several major surgeries.

There were times, pre-ADHD diagnosis, when I took them simply because I was struggling with depression or anxiety, and nothing else I've ever been prescribed gave me the same level of functionality. I don't think I was abusing them, but that's due as much to luck and timing as anything else. I was definitely self-medicating though, and misusing them. I struggled with it, though,psychologically, and I think if my diagnosis had been any later I would have considered myself addicted.

In the year since I've started treatment for ADHD, I haven't used them or thought about taking them except in discussions like the ones here. It seems to be somewhat common with ADHD to have atypical reactions to medications, and I find it oddly comforting when I hear someone else with ADHD describing a similar experience with opiates.
Old 01-31-12, 01:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

icecreamfiend is a jewel in the roughicecreamfiend is a jewel in the roughicecreamfiend is a jewel in the rough

Wow, this is all new information to me (effects of opiates, pain killers, etc) We really are hardwired differently than normal people huh? Fascinating