ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-12, 09:23 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 8,895 Times in 3,713 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Seven-year-old was given cannabis by parents

I get the other side of the coin to the psychosis argument (which clearly isn't 100% causal, but would still give me pause giving it to a child who was already having problems).

The other point I was going to make, but forgot to, was that a child that is having trouble with executive functioning may have ADHD, but may also be beginning to show the prodromal symptoms of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. . . and sometimes it's really hard to tell what precisely is going on. In those cases especially, I could see pot being the absolute *wrong* answer to the problems.

That isn't to say that the neurotransmitter system that THC acts on (the endocannabinoid system) isn't a potential target for therapeutic drugs, including therapeutic drugs for ADHD. Nicotine receptors are as well (even though I wouldn't condone giving a child a cigarette, either).
Old 02-23-12, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

desulove is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG.

I am from New Zealand and I knew some hippies that gave their kid cannabis.... could this be them?

Well for one I think it is much safer then stimulant meds which are sometimes methamphetamine.

Cannabis does help with ADHD I have been using it rather then stimulant meds I am switching to stimulants now because they work a bit better for the motivational thing and cannabis supply is up and down.
Old 02-23-12, 09:46 AM

TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well for one I think it is much safer then stimulant meds which are sometimes methamphetamine.
Stimulant meds have been used in the treatment of ADHD and related disorders since 1937 . . . they have a fairly long track-record.

*Pharmaceutical* methamphetamine *is* a legal and legitimate treatment for ADHD in the US . . . it's all in how you take the drug. Swallowing a pill is much different than abusing the drug to get high.

Stimulant addicts find cocaine and ritalin are indistinguishable from each other *when they are injected into a vein*, yet ritalin is a safe and effective medicaiton when used correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
LynneC (02-23-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-12, 09:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
I get the other side of the coin to the psychosis argument (which clearly isn't 100% causal, but would still give me pause giving it to a child who was already having problems).

The other point I was going to make, but forgot to, was that a child that is having trouble with executive functioning may have ADHD, but may also be beginning to show the prodromal symptoms of bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. . . and sometimes it's really hard to tell what precisely is going on. In those cases especially, I could see pot being the absolute *wrong* answer to the problems.

That isn't to say that the neurotransmitter system that THC acts on (the endocannabinoid system) isn't a potential target for therapeutic drugs, including therapeutic drugs for ADHD. Nicotine receptors are as well (even though I wouldn't condone giving a child a cigarette, either).
Yes! The problem is if they are Schizophrenic or Bi poplar its going to mess things up bad! Likely causing a schizophrenic break.

But cannabis offer so much relief from ADHD and stress in general. It's safe and feels good!

In fact weed helps with everything. Even makes food, music better.

If I where king of the world I would make it OTC as a mood enhancer if people with schizophrenia or bi poplar freak out on it they can just DEAL WITH IT why should they ruin it for everyone else?
Old 02-23-12, 09:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Stimulant meds have been used in the treatment of ADHD and related disorders since 1937 . . . they have a fairly long track-record.

*Pharmaceutical* methamphetamine *is* a legal and legitimate treatment for ADHD in the US . . . it's all in how you take the drug. Swallowing a pill is much different than abusing the drug to get high.

Stimulant addicts find cocaine and ritalin are indistinguishable from each other *when they are injected into a vein*, yet ritalin is a safe and effective medicaiton when used correctly.
Cannabis has been around and used 1000s of years and there has been not one recorded death caused by cannabis.

People die everyday from therputic doses of Ritalin.
Old 02-23-12, 10:07 AM

Quote:
If I where king of the world I would make it OTC as a mood enhancer if people with schizophrenia or bi poplar freak out on it they can just DEAL WITH IT why should they ruin it for everyone else?
You're missing the point here. We are not talking about an adult who may or may not be able to make a decision for themselves. We are talking about a 7 year old. And telling someone with a potential psychotic disorder to "DEAL WITH IT" is beyond disrespectful.
Old 02-23-12, 10:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
You're missing the point here. We are not talking about an adult who may or may not be able to make a decision for themselves. We are talking about a 7 year old. And telling someone with a potential psychotic disorder to "DEAL WITH IT" is beyond disrespectful.
I don't wanna get in a flame war but why should everyone else miss out because of a minority? If you have psychotic disorder that is effected in a negative way by cannabis then don't use it! It shouldn't be illegal just to cater to their dietary needs. I think its beyond disrespectful to the majority to make it illegal just to cater to a minorities needs.
Old 02-23-12, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,084 Times in 7,594 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desulove View Post
Cannabis has been around and used 1000s of years and there has been not one recorded death caused by cannabis.

People die everyday from therputic doses of Ritalin.
Citations needed.

People do NOT die EVERY day from theraputic doses of Ritalin.

New Findings May Ease Fears for Parents and Patients
Old 02-23-12, 10:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Citations needed.

People do NOT die EVERY day from theraputic doses of Ritalin.

New Findings May Ease Fears for Parents and Patients
The point was it is grossly unsafe when compared to cannabis track record.
Old 02-23-12, 10:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,084 Times in 7,594 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desulove View Post
The point was it is grossly unsafe when compared to cannabis track record.
I'd really like to see some information to confirm this.
Old 02-23-12, 10:28 AM

Thanked 4,191 Times in 1,966 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Thread is locked...

Last edited by LynneC; 02-23-12 at 10:59 AM..
Closed Thread