ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-23-12, 09:10 PM

Natikins is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Dosage and Side effects problems! HELP!!

Hi! I'm 22 y.o and was prescribed Adderall IR 20mg twice a day this past november...My shrink prescribed me the generic form since i'm a grad student with a low budget. The pill worked very well and i felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders! Like finally everything just clicked! So with this last prescription i went to a different pharmacy and got a different looking generic pill...i assumed it'd be the same thing...WRONG! This new generic pill did NOTHING for me! it actually made me sleepy! I went from taking one morning pill and one afternoon pill to taking 2 morning pills and sometimes an extra afternoon pill and even then the pill barely worked! I live in Puerto Rico (an island in the caribbean and a commonwealth of the U.S) and found out that there won't be anymore Adderall pills on the entire island till April! My shrink prescribed me Adderall XR 20mg once a day since it was the only thing available at pharmacies here...i've taken the pill for about 5 days now but not only am i unable to concentrate, I get bad headaches and become more emotional than normal...

is my dosage wrong? Should i take 2 Adderall XR (40 mg a day) or just stop taking it??? I still have the faulty generic pills...should i mix Adderall XR with generic pills??...I tried getting an appointment with my shrink but he's booked till our next appointment date on March 2 and I have 3 exams from now till then! I don't know what to do!

Sorry for the long message but i am COMPLETELY unexperienced with this!
Old 02-23-12, 09:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,331 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dosage and Side effects problems! HELP!!

If you have two meds (second generic and new XR) and both are useless, combining them would be equally useless...possibly disastrous. It's also something no one here can advise you on, as we unfortunately cannot take the place of your doctor. Potentially, that's a question your doctor could answer by phone, if you need an answer now.

Taking more than prescribed because the generic wasn't working may have contributed to the discomfort you're feeling now on XR. You should absolutely not double the dose of a medication that's already giving you side effects, and I suspect your doctor would tell you the same. Stopping it sounds like the only reasonable solution at the moment, though I wish I had something more helpful to say.
Natikins (03-19-12)