ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 02-07-09, 09:13 PM
Jr Member

Kelc is on a distinguished road
Re: Homework Tips!

It's impossible for me to do this. I try to stay organized and color code everything and write stuff don't in my planner but I always forget. I did it for about a month but after that I just kept forgetting. I use flashcards but I still do bad on tests. I now have a 1.7 gpa and I know i will never get into a college. I'm so stressed and I don't know what to do. I tried talking to my mom but she kept saying that i got on a b honnor roll once I can do it again. but that was in middle school in seventh grade. I'm so lost.
Old 02-21-09, 06:08 PM
Contributor

RedSkittles will become famous soon enough

Hi guys! I just wanted to say that making flashcards works really well. Make them online so that when you are done printing and cutting them out, you can mix up the front and backs of cards and match them up before you glue them. This helps me get used to the answers a little before i start to quiz myself with them.
Old 10-03-10, 11:57 AM

LunaLovegood is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering if there were any tips for reading/taking notes on incredibly boring textbooks. I'm in three AP classes, and all the rest are honors, and I'm basically failing. I know all of the information, and I ace the tests, but I can never manage to turn in my homework, or take notes on my textbook for my one AP class (I don't see why I should have to take notes if I read it, and know it).

Diagnosed

Concerta
-First - 18mg in morning
-Now - 2 18mg in morning

Still doesn't help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 02:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,631 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Luna- something I did when I was younger that still helps me today is to use 3x5 cards.

Big boring book. *sigh* Take the main theme/idea from each paragraph and write it down on that 3x5 card. One card per paragraph.

Now when you go through those 3x5 cards, you have the essence of what the big boring book was trying to tell you.

Keep in mind- paragraph structure is based on providing a single clear idea. You may get additional information that is important to that main theme- if you do, note it on the back of your card. The front of the card should be the theme of the paragraph.

Believe it or not, when I write, I do this in reverse- set the themes on cards, set the flow, fill in from there.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
LunaLovegood (10-03-10)
Old 01-05-11, 12:03 AM

Sauce1800 is on a distinguished road

Do your homework as far away from a computer as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Sauce1800 For This Useful Post:
Shevey (04-13-12)
Old 01-05-11, 04:41 PM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough

How many hours per week do you spend sitting down at a table with a book, a pen and a paper, doing math problems, reading literature history, and studying in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce1800 View Post
Do your homework as far away from a computer as possible
This lol!

<---- Gamer
Old 03-23-11, 01:07 AM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,012 Times in 1,457 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

Having some kind of caffeine before I do my homework helps me concentrate a lot. So does chewing gum. When I come home, I have my chai tea with milk and my pack of Juicy Fruit and get to work! The routine of this helps a lot too. That's what I do on good days--on bad days, which, sadly, often outnumber the good days, I get pulled away from my homework by that Modern Family episode I've seen already, that book I've read 6 times before but would love to read again, that online game that my friend mentioned. I hate to say it, but my mom is probably smart for not letting me get a Facebook. So many distractions! Aaaah!
Old 10-31-11, 09:26 PM

Thenor is on a distinguished road

My assignment book has become one of my best friends. The only problem is I have to remember to write down everything :P

I actually like to do the easier assignments first. I get too overwhelmed starting with the more difficult ones then nothing will get done.

Thanks for the new tips!
Old 02-09-12, 11:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ranmaru is on a distinguished road

Whoa, this is awesome. I'm not a teen anymore (I'm 22 now :P)

But I wanted to mention something. For assignments/taking down hw, try using the tiny notebooks. I always carry a Handy Dandy Notebook with me to college.

With my messiness in my bag, I would never get a planner out in time to jot down hw that has to be done. (I put the mini notebook in my pocket)

I have found that note cards get me %100. D
Old 02-24-12, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hypoactive has a spectacular aura aboutHypoactive has a spectacular aura about

if you're in high school or college and live at home, ask a family member to read your books to you, and quiz you every page or so, to make sure you're paying attention.

yep, i know how difficult it is, but it CAN work if you want it (your diploma) bad enough...as i've done it for years for my ADD son, who will be graduating from high school this year (hopefully )...

btw, i have ADD as well...and my non-ADD mom did the same for me back in the day -- and i hated high school SO much, i graduated two years early -- all "regular" classes. in fact, ADD wasn't even in the DSM back then...

wow, i'm really old...and really bragging here, obviously ...

...but darn it, I DID IT! -- AND, SO CAN YOU!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoactive For This Useful Post:
SquarePeg (09-14-12)
Old 04-05-12, 05:56 AM

Littlesushibox is on a distinguished road

Use a cardboard box to keep all your loose papers in is a very good advice :3 I never thought of that, most of the others I had already done/ known about.
Old 04-12-12, 11:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

Shevey will become famous soon enough

I find that using the Cornell note-taking system helps me so far because it makes it so I can study in 15 minute chunks when my toddler's otherwise preoccupied and still absorb the information. Also, I find that taking notes by hand (instead of typing them, which I'd rather do...) allows me to learn more without studying more. When it comes to remembering important dates and assignments, I schedule them in my cellphone at the beginning of every semester along with appointments, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shevey For This Useful Post:
BR549 (04-12-12)
Old 08-30-12, 04:34 PM
Jr Member

novelwriter is on a distinguished road

If you can't use a 3-ring binder (like me) and you are in high school see if your school woukl allow you to use neat sheet 3hole punch notebooks, because these are perferated. I used them in high school and they work. If you do this color coordinate the notebook and folder to help with finding homework.
Old 09-13-12, 10:20 PM

tripsupstairs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkland8 View Post
Any ideas on how to stay focused while reading? I have problems with noises (like the ticking of a clock) they always break my train of thoguht I've tried music and it works great for math, but the moment it comes to reading something the lyrics of the song tend to fuse with what I'm reading. I'd love to get music without lyrics but my parents arr stingy and won't let me buy music. All the music I've gotten is from friends.
I know the feeling. For the ticking clock, take the batteries out if you can. my friend and I used to do this when we were in private testing rooms because it was always so obnoxiously loud. xD Other things that work for me; sound blocking headphones, find music on youtube, earbuds with squishy ends so they block out sound anyway, and of course, lower the volume just enough so it's not as distracting.
I suggest this channel for music:http://www.youtube.com/user/OnlyChil...eature=g-all-u

Hope this helped!
Old 09-14-12, 09:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,072 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

it has been mentioned to ask teachers and stay behind after school to get help, as a teacher in training myself, i cant stress how much we appreciate it if a learner shows interest in the work and is willing to put in that extra bit of effort to find out whats going on...