ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-12, 09:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,053 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Re: Ways to turn on hyperactivity when needed

My doctor tells me adhd people who arent hyper sometimes are. He said our bodies adapt instinctevly and we tend to become calm for the sake of not looking crazy all the time and getting into trouble. He said thats when anxiety appears. When you internalize or bottle up that chaos. I would guess depression would come soon after enough anxiety. Its a downward spiral.
plank80 (03-24-12)
Old 02-29-12, 12:10 AM

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

For years and years (decades) I "triggered" my "hyperactivity" (really a hypomania) by staying up all night. The adrenaline that your body produces to keep you up is a very effective type of stimulant medication.

That is how I wrote literally every single paper, memorandum, brief, you name it, from age 6 to age 44 or so. It was a very predictable method, but use it judiciously because it takes a toll. The problem is that merely getting a small amount of sleep doesn't make it work. You have to stay up ALL NIGHT, and the adrenaline will kick in around 3:00 or 4:00 am. Then, to make use of that adrenaline, you have to work until late in the day.

If you're driving or operating machinery, or a doctor, or whatever, this won't work because the impairments to your reaction timing, etc. are such that your performance won't improve. But if you're merely making legal arguments on multi-million dollar files, this method works like a charm.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
chewy (03-23-12), Drewbacca (04-24-12)
Old 03-23-12, 04:41 PM
Jr Member

chewy is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Ways to turn on hyperactivity when needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
For years and years (decades) I "triggered" my "hyperactivity" (really a hypomania) by staying up all night. The adrenaline that your body produces to keep you up is a very effective type of stimulant medication...
This has also worked for me before.. also for some reason I tend to be more "awake" on the afternoon and night than during the day.

For me what gives me the "drive" is probably the adrenaline from having a deadline coming to an end, like I did most of my school years, combined to the adrenaline from staying awake until next morning. The next day obviously I get the super "low" of energy side effect lol, and I end up mentally drained, but with the work done. Afterwards I usually "promise" to myself that I will not do it again, and that I will start planning ahead next time, ... which I hardly ever do 100%.

Music seems to also work for me, but it does not always help because listening to music could help me reload my energy or it could completely distract me from what I was doing.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-12, 01:07 AM

GQK III is on a distinguished road

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The key to exciting the prefrontal cortex is stimulation, be it intellectual stimulation, music, chemical, or whatever turns you on. You have to have stimulation. Myself? I like a challenge or doing something I really get into. Unfortunately, I can never get that to transfer to other, mundane tasks.
Old 04-03-12, 05:33 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

lollies. Before dx the boss gave us lollies to get through a busy day when 4 staff called in sick (bank tellers). I was so hyper I can barely remember what happened and the customers were talking about it for weeks.
Old 04-03-12, 09:22 PM

Thanked 9,673 Times in 5,282 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Lollies?asin lollypops? I cn get amped w lots of jolt/mt dew,sugar chocolate candy or all 3 and put some rock music on like kid rock or ac/dc and I will be rocking out over the top all nite an day.Ive had people ask me if I was on drugs or cocaine because i was so up and amped.
Old 04-04-12, 02:38 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Lollies?asin lollypops?
As in stuff like jelly snakes etc..
Old 04-13-12, 10:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Shevey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
I sometimes will get out on a swing.. but that is hard too as they discourage adults from using child playground equipment.

It isn't dignified to go running across a field for no reason.
You don't sound freaky, you sound like hella fun. Anyway, I get to swing now and then because my son insists that I do so. See, you just have to borrow someone's kid and go swinging.

Also, I have a long-time friend who runs across fields all the time, but even more often we can find her chasing ducks by the lake.
Old 04-13-12, 10:05 AM

Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,079 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

i believe in letting the H out as much as possible, im quite unusual in that i still exhibit a lot of H into adulthood...i've learnt not to fight it...sometimes....its actually pretty awesome

the more i try and suppress it or contain myself, the mor restless and miserable i get
'I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling. - Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

Go Raiders !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-21-12), plank80 (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Music, getting enthusiastic about the task or what you have to look forward to after said task is over, or bringing a friend ( or talking to on the phone ) if possible. I still haven't found a good way to motivate myself to keep really organized or clean :/
Old 04-16-12, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

plank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence1989 View Post
i believe in letting the H out as much as possible, im quite unusual in that i still exhibit a lot of H into adulthood...i've learnt not to fight it...sometimes....its actually pretty awesome

the more i try and suppress it or contain myself, the mor restless and miserable i get
I feel terrible as well the more I suppress it I used to get a lot of knots in my shoulder and neck muscles from tension it felt like I was physically holding myself down all the time but now I don't care as much and just let it out. I think I even move in my sleep I can never sit still without fidgetting. I would love to be able to relax but thats next to impossible without drink or drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to plank80 For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 07:46 PM

Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

hell yes plank !!! you know you've got to just roll with it sometimes...i tend to kick and fidget in my sleep ....my boyfriend loves me especially when he is trying to watch a movie and i just start play fights because i can't take sitting still anymore ;D
'I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling. - Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

Go Raiders !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
plank80 (04-17-12)
Old 04-16-12, 08:38 PM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time when I let it all hang out and Rip it up people either shake there heads like ohgod hes at it again or I just get in trouble and make and feel like a world class @ss and get laughed at
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-16-12), plank80 (04-17-12)
Old 04-16-12, 08:52 PM

rebel you are my kind of person...f all these other people they are just uncomfortable because they don't know a lot of the time how to deal when people free it up..often because they don't know how to do it themselves...

Go Raiders !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 08:59 PM

People call me repressed and anal retentive and I have issues?! holy *&&() falls over laughing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-16-12)