ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Conduct Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-10, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,845 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeit1 View Post
I'm suspended from school for the fifth time this year, and im off for a week cause I was arguing with the head master and such, suspended for refusing to write my name when I did ? haha It would seem I have this but when I argue with teachers or school officials its cause I feel like their wrong and im right. My doctor just said something about this ODD, defiant disorder or something.
I have'nt been diagnosed with this but I had the exact same thing you are going through......it does'nt matter now,but it will,when you think back like I did.

Only the good boys get presents and that works after you have left,you can get the best jobs,more money or worst jobs,less money.

For me when I was at school at 15 and getting suspendid for the 6th time,I thought to myself 'what is going on here!'. I am right,I'm still right now,that does'nt matter if you can't explain your actions.

I saw everyone as equal,and would address them as them me....fairs fair,but it just does'nt work like that.

I wish I could do it again,I can remember every situation and scenario which led to me getting suspended,I could'nt believe that no one else would get into half as much trouble.

Try writing a letter to explain the situation in it's true form from your point of view,if I were to have done that a few times back then,they may have understood the situations better.

Wish you luck with the....teachers.
Old 04-14-10, 05:59 AM
Contributor

michinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nice

Smart people realize that stupid people telling them to do stupid things is wrong.

So they get mad, sad, or bad.

They tell us not to smoke cigarettes. Then it's okay after 18.
They tell us not to drink. Then, all of a sudden, you go to college and your PARENTS are paying for the dorm's keg parties every single weekend!
They tell us not to have sex. Then you realize that everybody is doing it.
They tell us not to talk back or fight back. The next thing you know, your money's gone and you can't get it back.

Personally, I think ADHD and OCD people are the opposite ends of the brilliant spectrum.

OCD (nerd-type) people get to slide under the radar. They don't get into trouble. They're praised and patted on the head like good little lapdogs. But they also become corporate slaves, chained to desks and sacrificing family, relationships, and friends to please their masters.

ADHD people get called dysfunctional, punished, threatened, imprisoned, beaten, and broken. Their talents go unrecognized and undeveloped. Their needs go unmet. Their pain is ignored.

I think the first step in breaking the cycle is by refusing to use labels like this one.
Defiance and opposition...hmm...

when are they okay?

Do you think it's possible that some Powers That Be don't want people defying or opposing EVER...?
The Following User Says Thank You to michinyuja For This Useful Post:
krb388 (04-24-10)
Old 05-04-10, 10:32 AM
Jr Member

brillosa is on a distinguished road

I don't know that much about ODD, but as a teacher(with ADHD), I think I can at least say that there is a very big difference between simply becoming defiant as a result of frustration and misunderstanding than acting out as a result of an actual conduct disorder. The last few diagnostic criteria are really important to consider here.

*often deliberately annoys people
*often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
*is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
*is often angry and resentful
*is often spiteful or vindictive

Simply arguing with adults and not backing down, that is not ODD, from my understanding. If so, I would also have suffered from that as a child. Like many other posters here, I thought very differently from almost everyone else around me as a child. Despite my high IQ, GPA, and test scores, it was very difficult to communicate with people--ESPECIALLY adults. It led me to not only become very frustrated with them, but to begin to believe that--because I was able to understand their thinking, yet they were unable to understand mine--I was much more intelligent.

Now, I'm not sure that's necessarily the case (not quite so confident in my own superiority, haha). But my experiences have definitely shaped the way I treat my students. I refer to them by their last name, I choose not to have a desk and rather sit at the tables with them (I'm 23, and I teach middle school, so we are actually about the same size). We decide the rules and consequences as a group, and have community meetings to talk about frustrations and misunderstandings. I'm not saying everything's perfect in my classroom (far from it), but I am sure that my students almost never feel disrespected or devalued by me, and they know that I do NOT believe that anyone deserves additional respect simply because they are older. That's ageism. As their teacher, they respect me because I've come to gain their trust as they have gotten to know me and realized that I do have their best interest in mind, always. I listen to them, so they listen to me.

Anyway, I kind of went off on a tangent there, but I would strongly caution students and parents against allowing themselves or their children to be hastily labeled by a conduct disorder that is relatively new and (like ADD/ADHD) does not have strict diagnostic criteria. While it is important for a student to receive services if he/she needs them, there is definitely a stigma and an unfortunate lowering of expectations that inevitably follows in most classrooms. It's not right, but it's how it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to brillosa For This Useful Post:
michinyuja (05-29-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-10, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

sounds like me when i was in lots of trouble when i had depression...
Old 12-09-10, 01:11 AM
Banned

JosefMiller is on a distinguished road

Anyway, I kind of went off on a tangent there, but I would strongly caution students and parents against allowing themselves or their children to be hastily labeled by a conduct disorder that is relatively new and (like ADD/ADHD) does not have strict diagnostic criteria. While it is important for a student to receive services if he/she needs them, there is definitely a stigma and an unfortunate lowering of expectations that inevitably follows in most classrooms. It's not right, but it's how it is.
Old 03-05-12, 07:07 AM

cathlane is on a distinguished road

my 13 yr old son had ODD...... it seems people may be suggesting that it dosen't exist?..or perhaps taking the condition out of context?
my son will physically do things right in front of your eyes then turn round and say it wasn't me i didn't do it or it wasn't my fault! You can be having a converstaion with other adults and he will just bulldoze his way in and tell you no your wrong!! it's this this and this...and be quite aggressive with it too!! a constant "i am right!!" if something dosen't work straight away that second he will swear scream and shout instantly...i don't want it now or this is broken it's useless...etc etc, he cannot follow 1 simple instruction and is now in a special school because mainstream was a nightmare (obv with all the rules) even things he wants to do if HE asks to go somewhere as soon as you say yeah ok lets go he turns around and revokes.... ODD DOES EXIST i live with it everyday and it's a nightmare!!
Old 03-05-12, 07:25 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

I believe i have ODD but i haven't brought it up with my doctor because i don't know if there's much they can do about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to eeilyk For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-01-12)
Old 04-01-12, 12:13 AM

Thanked 4,184 Times in 2,181 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i think this goes with the territory when you have ADHD i think the only thing that really would help is CBT or something like that but its so hard to get hold of ! xx
'I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling. - Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

Go Raiders !!!
Old 04-27-12, 06:37 AM

Thanked 7,513 Times in 3,880 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathlane View Post
my 13 yr old son had ODD...... it seems people may be suggesting that it dosen't exist?..or perhaps taking the condition out of context?
my son will physically do things right in front of your eyes then turn round and say it wasn't me i didn't do it or it wasn't my fault! You can be having a converstaion with other adults and he will just bulldoze his way in and tell you no your wrong!! it's this this and this...and be quite aggressive with it too!! a constant "i am right!!" if something dosen't work straight away that second he will swear scream and shout instantly...i don't want it now or this is broken it's useless...etc etc, he cannot follow 1 simple instruction and is now in a special school because mainstream was a nightmare (obv with all the rules) even things he wants to do if HE asks to go somewhere as soon as you say yeah ok lets go he turns around and revokes.... ODD DOES EXIST i live with it everyday and it's a nightmare!!
I think a lot of people here have ODD. It's one of those disorders people that have it would be in instant denial about. There's a similar sub form of autism called PDA and I tore the diagnostic criteria apart, abused the people for writing it...because it sounded like my childhood. It's avoidance more than opposition.
I argue a lot and always want to be the opposite, but it's not as severe as your sons. But I think I have some form of ODD and it's definitely not out of frustration. I think it's a way to stimulate my brain. I'm not even sure if I'm agreeing with you or disagreeing with everyone else. I always need to choose a side.
Old 04-27-12, 10:28 AM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
I think a lot of people here have ODD. It's one of those disorders people that have it would be in instant denial about. There's a similar sub form of autism called PDA and I tore the diagnostic criteria apart, abused the people for writing it...because it sounded like my childhood. It's avoidance more than opposition.
I argue a lot and always want to be the opposite, but it's not as severe as your sons. But I think I have some form of ODD and it's definitely not out of frustration. I think it's a way to stimulate my brain. I'm not even sure if I'm agreeing with you or disagreeing with everyone else. I always need to choose a side.
I think the problem is that people hear ODD and the symptoms, and think "Well everybody is like that sometimes."

The same way that a lot of people hear the symptoms of ADHD and think "Well everybody is like that sometimes."

Or even GAD or social anxiety people say "Well that's just shyness..."

I think the problem that many people have is understanding the difference between a symptom, which by itself might not be a symptom at all but just a personality quirk or a reaction to a situation, and a disorder.

When someone has ODD, it isn't just that they are oppositional and defiant. It's that their oppositional and defiant behavior is severe enough and pervasive enough and impairing enough that it goes beyond a situational problem. It is a disorder in and of itself.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (05-04-12)
Old 04-27-12, 11:53 AM

Thanked 9,762 Times in 5,324 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Holy poop on a stick this is me too a t!
Old 10-04-12, 10:02 PM
Jr Member

RippinMyHairOut will become famous soon enough

From what I learned from professionals, typically ODD should usually go away around age 8. Most times if one has ODD, they will have something else such as ADHD or ADD. If they do not outgrow ODD around this age, it could very well be with a person into their adulthood, which I thought is more classified as Conduct Disorder. I'm clearly no expert, but I raised my daughter with ODD and ADHD and she actually outgrew both.

Please correct me if I am wrong anyone. I'm just basing this off of my daughter's therapist and my niece's therapist years after (which is more current).
Old 01-28-13, 04:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

TheNarrator is just really niceTheNarrator is just really niceTheNarrator is just really niceTheNarrator is just really nice

I'm pretty sure this is what undiagnosed ADHD with ODD looks like. My first 21 years of life. The next 20 haven't been a cakewalk either. I'm only sharing this personal information so that people will realize how badly they can screw up your life if they remain undiagnosed. Not one time did anyone ever think to have me tested or checked out!

I am actually going tomorrow to get my diagnosis.

Throughout school – procrastination on homework and assignments plagued me. Tardiness, outbursts, constant daydreaming, fights with other students, arguments with teachers and principals. Did well with tests usually, but terrible with homework and got lost in math and English as it got more complicated and I didn't keep up with homework. Pretty much winged my way through school. Had many problems with dad and brother ( I had an uncanny knack for pushing their buttons and seem to have enjoyed either being yelled at, punished, hit, or beaten up)

I really did seem to enjoy being hit/beaten up, it was almost comforting. I know that sounds crazy but that was how I felt. I never considered myself to have lost a fight, because I never stopped or gave them the satisfaction, no matter how bloodied or bruised I would keep on coming or cussing them until they gave up or I won! I know weird! The funny thing is I kind of had a reputation for being easy going and laid back .

Kindergarten – Got in my first school fist fight and went to the office. I know there were more but I can't remember until about 3rd grade.
3rd grade – started having multiple problems with teacher, class clowning, and talking, and generally acting up. I believe that is when I really started fighting with other kids too (a lot).
4th grade – My teacher Mrs. Coffee and I had a war of will the entire year. Every day after lunch I would push her over the edge and I would spend the rest of the day sitting in the principals office.
5th grade – new town, new school, fresh start: New war with new teacher, I pushed her buttons so badly she would throw me out of the classroom! I spent every special event and holiday party in the library or office. Had many fights with peers. Grades began to slip (found out later that homeroom teacher quit teaching after that year and returned to her home state. Coincidence?
6th -8th grade – Had the most licks (paddling) of any kid (and probably all kids in the school combined), constant detentions, and in school suspension. Mostly for class clown, or pushing teachers buttons. Had too many fights to count. Had discipline trouble with coaches too, but much less. Last day of school my principal cussed me out and told me exactly what he thought of me. I don't blame him he was very frustrated.
9th - 11th grade, same story, total disorganization, always late, had to borrow a pen and paper in every class. Many more fights and discipline problems. Had to take summer school before senior year because of grades. Lots of tickets, and trouble with the law.
12th grade – continued bad conduct, fights, had driving privileges revoked for doing burnouts and sneaking out of class. Then got into serious trouble and received 30 days on campus suspension. Dropped out, got my GED and went to Junior college (the last semester of my senior year, my friends were still in high school.)
Junior college – late to every class, missed 1/3 of classes, slept during classes. Changed major twice and got on academic suspension.

Joined the Army – During Desert Storm (qualified for any position in the Army – due to high test scores) and chose Infantry, because I wanted to get into the ****! Peace time didn't work out too well for me. Discipline problems continued, fights continued, had several article 15's which contributed to my early exit. I guess you could say I have some authority issues!

And that's just the first 21 years! Moral of the story- don't let your kid go through all this - get them checked out! On a good note: I have some awesome stories to tell people. Someday I might write a book. If I can get on some meds that work

Previously tried: Ritalin IR, Concerta, Adderall

I don't want to die without any scars.
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Last edited by TheNarrator; 01-28-13 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: ADD
Old 01-31-13, 10:04 PM

nHAVOKz is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Oppositional Defiant Disorder Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNarrator View Post
Someday I might write a book. If I can get on some meds that work
I'd love to read it, when it's done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nHAVOKz For This Useful Post:
Blanched Dubois (04-30-13), TheNarrator (02-03-13)