ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Professional Coaching
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-12, 09:11 AM

Jkidd36 is on a distinguished road
ADHD Coaching

I am checking out this program: https://www.theadhdacademy.com/coaching/

All the coaching is done online through Skype or telephone,.

Also some online educational Videos regarding ADHD as well.
Old 03-01-12, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,781 Times in 6,518 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Coaching

I've never heard about it but as far as I know any form of behavioural training isn't that effective with ADHD, especially not in the absence of medication.
Old 03-05-12, 09:04 AM

Jkidd36 is on a distinguished road

That is true - but even with medication it is helpful to learn the strategies and skills that can positively impact your life,

whether you are on medication or not you still can learn strategies to help
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-12, 09:16 AM

Thanked 13,781 Times in 6,518 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
whether you are on medication or not you still can learn strategies to help
Yes, that's true and from the studies I've read the most helpful combination is meds + behavioural coaching though the coaching only results in a marginal improvement.

I guess it's quite individual. I've just started CBT and so far I haven't learnt anything that I don't know yet or haven't tried yet. My problem is with the application of behavioural strategies but anyway, I'm still hopeful.

Have you looked at the program? Have you found out what exactly they are going to teach you. Does it sound like something that you don't know already?

I hope someone who actually has more experience and knowledge of this particular program will come along and help you.
Old 03-05-12, 09:54 AM

Thanked 20,053 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between coaching and CBT.

CBT that focuses on performance has proven ineffective because it ignores the fundamental nature of neurological impairment. CBT that has been effective is when it's dealing with emotional traumas that impair us because of the cognitive distortions associated with that.

Coaching is about having a compatability partner, whether paid or unpaid. There hasn't been much research on professional coaching so results are not evidence based.
Fuzzy12 (03-05-12)