ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 03-10-12, 10:31 AM

Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,560 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing, nothing, nothing, then BANG!!!

I wish I could get over things easier. Pain, hurt, sadness anger last way to damn long. It's weird because I think for most people the level of emotion for each "unit" of pain is like a 1:1 ratio (don't know how else to explain this sorry) but for me it seems like I am not affected very easily, I can put up with a lot from people and events, but then there is kinda a breaking point or a threshold of like "anything beyond this is unforgivable". And after that breaking point is when the emotional wounds come, and they are deep and wide and last almost for ever.

I just wish I could regulate and balance my emotional responses better. I mean on the one hand it's a benefit to be able to not let little things affect you, but I simply don't know how or when to appropriately emote. I don't want to be or feel nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing and then BANG look out because here comes the wicked witch of the west. The BANGs just will not go away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
buddy (03-10-12), Unmanagable (03-10-12)
Old 03-10-12, 10:44 AM

Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,560 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Nothing, nothing, nothing, then BANG!!!

Or maybe it's not nothing, nothing then bang, it kinda feels like that though. Don't get me wrong, I can be overly sensitive to little things too, but I usually forget about them super quick and never look back... Damn this is so weird, hard to explain.

Maybe my main issue is in remembering bad emotions. I forgive and forget very easily, that is, until that threshold is pasted. After that it seems like I simply can not forget or move on.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
angora (03-11-12), buddy (03-10-12), pechemignonne (03-10-12), Unmanagable (03-10-12)
Old 03-10-12, 10:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ravenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the rough

Yes

I told a friend about this last year... I'm very tolerant, understanding, yada,yada.. but there comes a point when I've reached my limit - and then I just switch off. Once the trust is gone - there's no getting it back...ever.

I don't quite understand it but it's how I'm built.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. ~Douglas Adams
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenstar For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (03-10-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-12, 11:24 AM
moderator of all species

Thanked 6,076 Times in 3,372 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I'm that way as well... hard to get past it, especially when there are non-sympathetic people in life.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 03-10-12, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's me as well.

Thing is, I have NTer friends who are better at "remembering" to feel slighted, and as much as I suspect that it's healthier that way, I don't want to do it. I like the way that I am. I like that aspect of most of my ADHD buddies. We're easier to be friends with because of it.

At the same time, too, there are certain people who have earned my undying friendship, and there's pretty much nothing that I could imagine them saying or doing that I wouldn't at least forgive them for. I might choose not to be around someone because they're toxic, for example, but I wouldn't be upset with them, if that makes sense.

Blue, I think you should just embrace this aspect of yourself. The "BANG" is you protecting yourself, and you want to keep that. But the "nothing nothing nothing" is a likable trait, so you want to keep that, too.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Blueranne (03-10-12), buddy (03-10-12), Impetus (03-10-12), Ravenstar (03-11-12), Unmanagable (03-10-12)
Old 03-10-12, 01:01 PM

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,738 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

yup, same here.

Something my therapist and I have talked about is letting people "hook me" to another time or feeling, this is when I tend to blow my stack. This is confusing for NT's b/c they think their prior bad actions are ok because they got away with them.

The only reasonable solution seems to be is learning awareness when you're feeling "hooked" into another time, and telling them the conversation or whatever is just too much at the moment. Once you get yourself away from them, reflect on the value of the relationship. If it's valuable, go back tell them you aren't comfortable with x, y, and z. Don't explain it, you don't owe them anything. If they value you, then they'll respect it. If they don't, well, screw 'em!

Hope that doesn't sound glib, it all looks so easy when it's written in a couple sentences... but it's not, it's taken me years to just realize I was being "hooked!"
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (03-10-12)
Old 03-10-12, 03:25 PM

Thanked 10,046 Times in 5,452 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Replaces blues Bangs for snap pops.
I wish I was like this w out meds every little freaking thing bothers me,I think it has to do w adhd and problems regulating my emotions.I can go on a tirade quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (03-10-12)
Old 03-10-12, 03:54 PM

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

My feelings of resentment are right below the surface.Whatever pain,sadness or anger that I have is in me & I tend to carry it around with me.It takes a lot to make me mad less when it comes to my feelings being hurt.I wish I could just express it then be done with it.Rather than carrying hurt feelings around & then I explode.
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (03-10-12)
Old 03-10-12, 09:26 PM

Thanked 10,046 Times in 5,452 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

See thats where the problem lies tho.it upsets me to no end to see people getting away w there poor behavior and excuses.
Old 03-10-12, 09:38 PM

Thanked 8,842 Times in 2,740 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

It's been said before...

Thousands of time...

Thousands of years ago in fact...

Live In the Moment...

Don't Let the Moment Overwhelm You...

My Moment Is I'm Typing This To You

Right Here

Right Now

In This Moment

UR Cool (and HOT )- couldn't resist

Made U Smile

That's All The Reality We Have

later
R
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Blueranne (03-10-12), buddy (03-10-12), Ravenstar (03-11-12), Sandy4957 (03-11-12), Unmanagable (03-10-12)