ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-12, 10:36 PM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough
Question Borderline Bipolar

Has anyone ever gotten this diagnosis? My psychiatrist thinks I am both borderline bipolar and borderline ADD. Btw, I do NOT have borderline personality disorder.

I have these symptoms:
I feel bored very often and hate it! It is a horrible feeling to me! If I can't think of something to do, I sleep.
Obsessions - I obsess about people and topics.
I have times when I feel very clingy.
I am easily distracted which causes me to misplace things.
If I am obsessing over something fun I feel wonderful!
Sometimes I ruminate about things over and over again, and I can't stop the thoughts. These thoughts are unpleasant.
It is hard for me to stay happy sometimes. I dread getting bored!
I don't go into debt but I love shopping. It always perks me up, for awhile at least.

Can anyone relate?
Old 03-08-12, 10:55 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,334 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of
Re: Borderline Bipolar

I've never heard of "borderline" bipolar. It seems like your psychiatrist hasn't pinned down a diagnosis for you. I'd get a second opinion if you are able.

Why did they think you are bipolar?
Old 03-08-12, 11:03 PM
Contributor

I don't know. I just explained the things that I often feel and do, as are listed in my post.

All I know is that no one I know seems to understand my intolerance for boredom or why it happens so often and easily.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-12, 11:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,711 Times in 3,435 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

i understand an intolerance to boredom
Old 03-08-12, 11:11 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt seem like bipolar

just seems like a pretty common symptom mix that a lot of us have
Old 03-08-12, 11:12 PM

do you have social anxiety too?
Old 03-08-12, 11:18 PM

CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybil View Post
I don't know. I just explained the things that I often feel and do, as are listed in my post.

All I know is that no one I know seems to understand my intolerance for boredom or why it happens so often and easily.

Oh...we understand.

It really doesn't seem like you are bipolar from YOUR description. I'd really proceed with caution. Have you looked at bipolar symptoms? Do they seem familiar?
Old 03-08-12, 11:26 PM
Contributor

The bipolar symptoms I have read about don't really seem to fit me. But, if it is just borderline, then I guess that could make a difference. However, maybe it is just borderline ADD.

I used to have social anxiety it went away. It seems like it went away after I started going to college. Then, I started feeling more relaxed around people.

Last edited by sybil; 03-08-12 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-08-12, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The bipolar symptoms I have read about don't really seem to fit me. But, if it is just borderline, then I guess that could make a difference. However, maybe it is just borderline ADD.

I used to have social anxiety it went away. It seems like it went away after I started going to college. Then, I started feeling more relaxed around people.
You can't just be "borderline" bipolar. You are either Type I or Type II. Even people with type II have noticeable hypomanias and depressions. What about your behavior seems cyclical?
Old 03-09-12, 08:05 AM
Contributor

Well, that is just what I was told. The psychiatrist said borderline bipolar. So if there is no such thing, than I guess I am obviously not bipolar at all.
Old 03-09-12, 08:18 AM

your symptoms are similar to mine

you doctor might be seeing things he has seen in other bipolar patients

i didnt have a manic episode until i was about 26, but i have the rest of your symptoms
Old 03-09-12, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Well, that is just what I was told. The psychiatrist said borderline bipolar. So if there is no such thing, than I guess I am obviously not bipolar at all.
I would get a second opinion. If you are bipolar, then you need meds. If you aren't, then taking those meds is really gonna mess with you.
Old 03-09-12, 10:53 AM

Thanked 16,367 Times in 7,738 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know as much about Bipolar, but with ADHD we may go through
months when our symptoms don't have much impact on our lives, and
then stress or something else comes along and BAM! we're over the top
with symptoms. Could be that you're just going through a relatively quiet
time now.

Unfortunately, lots of doctors have trouble telling the differences between
ADHD and Bipolar, there is quite a bit of overlap. I think a second opinion
might be helpful.
Old 03-12-12, 02:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

blgw99 will become famous soon enough

I've never heard of "borderline bipolar". Like it was said already here, to qualify for a diagnosis, you need to fit the criteria for either BP I (usually obvious one I guess) or II (cyclical deep depression at least, the hypomania can be subtle). Or there is cyclothymia, where you keep cycling between slight depression and mild hypomania with, IIRC, no periods of baseline mood in between. Also, BP is about mood instability, while the anxiety and obsessions, etc, are usually a secondary symptom.

I agree about getting a second opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to blgw99 For This Useful Post:
CheekyMonkey (03-12-12)
Old 03-18-12, 02:36 AM

Twinz will become famous soon enough

I don't post much here, but I need to chime in about the "borderline bipolar". Have you all done any reading about Bipolar Spectrum Disorder? It's not officially a diagnosis, but it a recent theory that there is a wide spectrum of symptoms and not just "you are or you aren't". http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorde...rum-categories I am currently reading an excellent book all about bipolar spectrum disorder, http://www.amazon.com/Break-Bipolar-...4&sr=8-1-fkmr1 I have found it excellent, and find that I am reading about myself page after page. So, bottom line is that after reading all of this info, I am convinced that someone can be "borderline" bipolar, as I feel I fall into that category as well. Just my opinion, not a psychiatrist, but someone who does a ton of research/reading trying to figure out what in the heck is wrong with me!!! ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
sybil (05-12-12)