ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Personality Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-12, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,213 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you know a Vulnerable Narcissist?

i wonder if there's a relationship between the self-abandoning avoidant type/behavior and the self-abandonment of narcissism and the dissociation of borderline and or C-PTSD?
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (03-25-12)
Old 03-14-12, 01:15 AM

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. dobbs View Post
i wonder if there's a relationship between the self-abandoning avoidant type/behavior and the self-abandonment of narcissism and the dissociation of borderline and or C-PTSD?
That's ultimately my question. I have the behavior. I can't say where it comes from, though C-PTSD and BPD are generally widely overlapping, anyway.
mrs. dobbs (03-14-12)
Old 03-14-12, 01:21 PM

Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,213 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, this would bring together several threads-- one of which you originated, another about depersonalization which you posted in and another that shamrock posted about avpd subtypes.... along with what's been written about the cause of narcissistic complexes-- an exiled self.

so maybe at the core, there's some trauma-based self-abandonment mechanism that results in one of more of the various flavors of cluster b. i also have paranoid personality behaviors, and those are pretty narcissistic *and* dependent, i find. but that's because i keep locating myself in others ('they're out to mess me over/they're laughing at me') due to self-abandonment-- something that truly annoys me... because it like in narcissism, it assumes that others are extensions of me. the use of others as mirrors is the use of others as a self in lieu of the self i can't or am too ashamed/terrified to find and use.

and since there can be both significant trauma associated with undiagnosed add & childhood, and an overlap in brain dysfunction with add (e.g. inattentive and self-abandonment) i guess there's also that.

and you picked up on that i feel more comfortable discussing these things as behaviors rather than personality types.

personally, i am relieved to see the 'vulnerable narcissist' type because i have been convinced that i have narcissistic traits without the malignant or empathy-less part. if anything, i can be too empathic and personalizing and find this to be terribly egocentric and dysfunctional... inserting myself into others' emotions and reactions.

Last edited by mrs. dobbs; 03-14-12 at 01:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (03-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-12, 09:30 PM

Thanked 1,098 Times in 794 Posts
Electra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of lightElectra2 is a glorious beacon of light

Im thinking about all those who grew up with AD/HD
(or just as well other things,the point is,its makes the person different )
and were hurt dealing with kids that did not understand,
and isolation were not an issue...
Like, if parents couldnt stand seeing a child so...different and misbehaved,lonely...
and forced them outside to play with the others,where they where in turn rejected
/laught at/ bullied/ made fun of / critized so much...
how painfull that must have felt...no where to hide...
the only option is to face it,all the time...feeling rejected and wierd,blamed for things not their fault,feeling hate and failure...

I wonder what happend to those who couldnt take it anymore.
Those who where pushed back outside to face and cope with the "IRL."
I think it might lead to a lot of bad stuff...probably at least a lot more self hate...
and " not very social behaviour ", in one way or another,specially towards sertain people...!!
I think of a narsisisst like a person who becomes...Superman.
(wannabe)
Im not sure if they need to believe in it so much as they need to feel like it.
(grandiousity)
I asked a person behaving like that,they said failure was never an option for them
when they grew up,it was not accepted.
That sort of makes me doubt genetic theories.
Old 04-02-12, 09:16 AM
Contributor

shamrock has a spectacular aura aboutshamrock has a spectacular aura about

I am not allowed to post a link but if you go to the psych forums . com and look at the narcisstic pd section. There is a thread called covert narcissists and the dating game. There is a really good discussion about vulnerable narcissists there.
The Following User Says Thank You to shamrock For This Useful Post:
mrs. dobbs (04-02-12)
Old 04-20-12, 01:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about

My wife has BPD. What I suggest is looking at the DSM-IV it explains a lot but there are plenty of BPD folks with NPD Tendencies and there's a lot of overlap between the cluster B PD's as a whole.

Everyone is different. So much so that the proposed DSM-V actually has placed severity based on the degree someone has these characteristics.

ADHD people are on a continuum as are most every other disorder.

Interesting fact though there are lots of NPD/BPD couples it's a complimentary disorder situation.

The Other combination that's complimentary is BPD/ADHD.
Old 05-12-12, 03:21 PM

Thanked 4,741 Times in 2,560 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another link that I found very interesting.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bord...disorder-males
Old 05-12-12, 03:45 PM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueranne View Post

When did you meet my ex-boyfriend?

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Sir5r1 (05-12-12)
Old 05-12-12, 06:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
When did you meet my ex-boyfriend?

See BPD/ADHD. We are attracted to each other!

23 years of this type of relationship for me.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
Old 05-12-12, 06:27 PM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone with BPD is the same, I'd wager.

My ex was abusive and the relationship was a terrible experience for me.

But I'm glad that you found a way to make your relationship work!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 06-27-12, 03:57 PM

Thanked 1,663 Times in 821 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

oh no, I'm scared that this is me!!!! I have the worst self esteem in the world and constantly feel inferior. When people tell me that I'm actually OK it only very temporarily numbs the pain and I always need more.... I thought I was empathetic but maybe I'm just a narcissist at heart locked into a world of shame and the constant search for approval!!!!

~ Krishnamurti

Attention wandered, I left with it.....

~Helmet

Old 06-27-12, 04:38 PM

Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of think of PDs in the same way that I think of horoscopes. To some extent it can be easy to pull symptoms out of the diagnostic criteria and be able to see ourselves or others in that discription. But of course that doesnt mean that a PD diagnosis is correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (07-09-12)
Old 06-27-12, 04:54 PM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 902 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Her site is gettinbetter.com. It has tons of awesome BPD articles, and also articles on other stuff that I can't comment on because I haven't read many of them.
Old 06-27-12, 04:56 PM

Cool thanks! I'll check it out tonight.
Old 06-27-12, 05:00 PM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 902 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cool thanks! I'll check it out tonight.
I wasn't aiming that directly at you, Blueranne, just an FYI.

Oh, and I also just realized that Shari Schreiber didn't write the article that you linked. She was just quoted at the top of the article and I mistook it for her having written the article.