ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Tourettes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-12, 05:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Komod0Dragon has disabled reputation
Question MD Suspects Torettes...I don't!

To be straight to the point, whenever I tend to go 8 hours or longer without food I tend have a set action which everything goes black (with my eyes & in my mind) and I have weird actions with my arms and body.

Example, this morning I was holding a carton of Almond milk and as I was pouring it into a glass, everything went blank and I dropped the carton and almost fell on my butt in the kitchen.

If I'm holding something, I'll drop it. If I'm standing, I'll fall down and not stop myself because I have zero control; from being conscious to unconscious and then conscious seconds later.

I managed to get some ipod videos of me having them and the doctor thought it was a form of Torettes and it boggled me because this *only* happens when I go long periods without eating (8+hrs) or get a short amount of sleep (4hrs or less).

Though admittingly I haven't had a glucose test yet to see if it was a blood sugar count.

Old 02-29-12, 06:32 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,214 Times in 3,664 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MD Suspects Torettes...I don't!

Admittedly, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I agree that what you describe really doesn't sound like Tourette's.

In addition to blood sugar issues, you may also want to ask the doctor to rule out:
- a seizure disorder (like which can get worse with lack of sleep or inconsistent eating habits or stress for some people) and
- hypotension (low blood pressure, which can result from several causes)
- other???.

And if the doctor is convinced that loss of consciousness is Tourette's, you may be well advised to find a new doctor, ASAP!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
beltoller (04-26-12), Komod0Dragon (02-29-12), TygerSan (03-07-12)
Old 03-17-12, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is a jewel in the roughrickymooston is a jewel in the roughrickymooston is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komod0Dragon View Post
To be straight to the point, whenever I tend to go 8 hours or longer without food I tend have a set action which everything goes black (with my eyes & in my mind) and I have weird actions with my arms and body.

Example, this morning I was holding a carton of Almond milk and as I was pouring it into a glass, everything went blank and I dropped the carton and almost fell on my butt in the kitchen.

If I'm holding something, I'll drop it. If I'm standing, I'll fall down and not stop myself because I have zero control; from being conscious to unconscious and then conscious seconds later.

I managed to get some ipod videos of me having them and the doctor thought it was a form of Torettes and it boggled me because this [b
*only* happens when I go long periods without eating (8+hrs) or get a short amount of sleep (4hrs or less). [/b]

Though admittingly I haven't had a glucose test yet to see if it was a blood sugar count.
Hi, the lack of sleep is your "diagnosis". Did you mention that fact to your doctor.

I can even sometimes "see things" when I dont' get enough sleep.

I'm not sure about 8 hours without eating. We go 8 hours without sleepiong at night.
Old 03-17-12, 08:59 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

OP's description doesn't sound like any symptom of Tourette's I've ever seen. I was thinking seizure, same as Namazu, especially because of the relationship to hypoglycemia and lack of sleep, which both lower seizure threshold, I believe.