ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-12, 01:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Marla911 has a spectacular aura aboutMarla911 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bad scare with vyvanse overdose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowmichelle View Post
I've been using Vyvanse 30mg since july and everything has been going swimmingly until last night:

8:30 am, take pill with orange juice and yogurt.

Upset stomach all day long; don't eat hardly a thing.

8 pm hanging out with friends we smoked some weed and go to the pizza shop.

This is when it go's downhill for the next 3 hours. I started spazzing out like crazy. It felt like my central nervous system was EXTREMELY over stimulated; felt like my body's power supply was struck by lightning. I think the term for what I was experiencing is hyperreflexia. I couldn't speak because I was ticking so damn intensely; i thought i was going to die. My heart didn't feel pain and neither did i feel pain psychologically. It was like my arms and limbs were zapped with lightning.

Now this isn't the first time i've experienced something similar. here are two different situations:

1) Smoking weed after taking vyvanse in the morning one time got me over stimulated. Couldn't sit still for about 20 min. I understood why the drugs called speed.

2) Took vyvanse in the morning and it didn't kick in until the night time. When it did kick it, it was stronger than I'd experienced the drug at that point. It felt as though I had taken a higher dose of vyvanse; i was so focused that I couldn't focus.

This recent scare is a combination of the two. NOT FUN. Be careful with any amphetamine drug; they are POWERFUL.

I wish I had a more scientific explanation for what happened.
Hey this is going to sound bad but I am really happy to read your post. Reason being is that several years ago I was taking the maximum dose of paxil and sometimes even upping it by 30% because, well I don't know why I did it, to feel better I suspose?

Anyway around this time I started smoking weed again frequently, which I had done many times before in my life. However I think it was on two occasions that I experienced this hyperflexia that you describe. (Never heard this word before). I don't remember the details too clearly given I was drug affected and it was 6 or so years ago however I remember trying to stand up and pretty much falling over because my legs/knees were shaking/spasming so badly that they couldn't hold my weight.

I had no idea what had caused this reaction other than summising it was something to do with the combination of the paxil and weed. IT scared the crap out of my so I immediately stopped taking the paxil (this incidently caused a whole set of different problems not related to this post).

Since that time I"ve done some research and found that it was possibly caused in my case by an ssri overdose otherwise called ''ssri syndrome''.
Anyway I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one that this has happened to you and while I can't offer you an explanation of the cause I wanted to assure you that I personally don't believe you're confusing it with an extreme paranoia or anxiety attack -but it was some real physical thing -that you experienced because I got it too.
mellowmichelle (03-30-12)
Old 03-18-12, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I've been using Vyvanse 30mg since july and everything has been going swimmingly until last night:

This is when it go's downhill for the next 3 hours. I started spazzing out like crazy. It felt like my central nervous system was EXTREMELY over stimulated; felt like my body's power supply was struck by lightning. I think the term for what I was experiencing is hyperreflexia. I couldn't speak because I was ticking so damn intensely; i thought i was going to die. My heart didn't feel pain and neither did i feel pain psychologically. It was like my arms and limbs were zapped with lightning.

Now this isn't the first time i've experienced something similar. here are two different situations:

1) Smoking weed after taking vyvanse in the morning one time got me over stimulated. Couldn't sit still for about 20 min. I understood why the drugs called speed.

2) Took vyvanse in the morning and it didn't kick in until the night time. When it did kick it, it was stronger than I'd experienced the drug at that point. It felt as though I had taken a higher dose of vyvanse; i was so focused that I couldn't focus.

This recent scare is a combination of the two. NOT FUN. Be careful with any amphetamine drug; they are POWERFUL.

It's perfectly normal. People often die after using street drugs, like the chick in the picture for example:

Old 03-30-12, 10:33 PM

mellowmichelle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla911 View Post
Hey this is going to sound bad but I am really happy to read your post. Reason being is that several years ago I was taking the maximum dose of paxil and sometimes even upping it by 30% because, well I don't know why I did it, to feel better I suspose?

Anyway around this time I started smoking weed again frequently, which I had done many times before in my life. However I think it was on two occasions that I experienced this hyperflexia that you describe. (Never heard this word before). I don't remember the details too clearly given I was drug affected and it was 6 or so years ago however I remember trying to stand up and pretty much falling over because my legs/knees were shaking/spasming so badly that they couldn't hold my weight.

I had no idea what had caused this reaction other than summising it was something to do with the combination of the paxil and weed. IT scared the crap out of my so I immediately stopped taking the paxil (this incidently caused a whole set of different problems not related to this post).

Since that time I"ve done some research and found that it was possibly caused in my case by an ssri overdose otherwise called ''ssri syndrome''.
Anyway I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one that this has happened to you and while I can't offer you an explanation of the cause I wanted to assure you that I personally don't believe you're confusing it with an extreme paranoia or anxiety attack -but it was some real physical thing -that you experienced because I got it too.
Thank you. It was not entirely an anxiety attack. My ticks were not the same thing as anxious tremos. It was like something out of an ER type movie where the patient is convulsing and needs to be restrained combined with the ticks of a person with tourettes combined with the feeling like a jolt of lightening was surging through my body.

I've stopped smoking weed too. My grades dropped cuz I couldn't study. Now i'm back on the vyvanse for a couple of days now. I feel fine on the drug. But the thing is today it didn't kick in until about 6 hours after I took it. Ugh, I'm going to be up till 2 or 3 am. At least it's working like it originally did way back when.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-12, 04:37 PM
Jr Member

aglobke is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I refer to that as "white-facing" whenever you combine a large amount of a depressor (marijuana) with a stimulant (add meds)...

I have actually experienced this feeling not to long ago. I was at a party drinking and smoking weed (took my normal dose of concerta 54mg in the morning) and suddenly felt like what you described, thought i was going to die...Never wanted to feel that way again, worst feeling imaginable.
Old 05-04-12, 07:10 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

From my personal experience, there's no way to OD on Vyvanse. For the last 3 days, I took more then prescribed, I'm supposed to be taking 70 mg but had a lot of studying to do so I figured I'll pump it up a notch and took extra 30 mg + 10 mg Adderall IR. What happened was I got the most terrible headache ever and nothing OTC would help stop it! I didn't feel anxious, restless or anything just zombified and unable to think due to this insane pain.

Finally, I took 1 lemon balm, 0.5 mg Klonopin and 400 mg Mg Citrate along with 200 mg l-theanine and 4 advils and voila...relief....thank God!! I actually feel good now - but not motivated to do anything besides surfing the web.