ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-11, 10:41 PM

Scotter has a spectacular aura aboutScotter has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dysgraphia anybody?

I have terrible handwriting and can't spell.
My son has terrible handwriting, can't spell, and has dysgraphia.

The difference between us is that while my handwriting looks like chicken scratches it is automatic, my sons is not. Non automatic writing is like that feeling where you know what word you want but you can't get it to come out. Sometimes another word pops out instead. KWIM? The word is at the tip of your tounge. Normal in speech occasionally, aphasia when it is always or most of the time.

So dysgraphia is like that but with writing. It is an expressive language disorder. He can recall information and respond orally but if asked to write he might be able to get a four word sentence out, with with effort. In the same way that aphasia can result in the wrong word coming out (boy when trying for man, as an example) so too with dysgraphia. When asked he describes it like this: I have to think so much about how to write that I forget what I was going to say. Same issue keyboarding, but not as severe.

One trick for handwriting is a pencil stub, as small as possible. It is much harder to hold a tiny pencil incorrectly. Mechanics helped my son with legibility but did not help the aphasia like aspects. It is a very frustrating disorder.

Dragon speech to text software is a lifesaver. Their iPad app was still free last time I looked. Also digital voice recorders sometimes come with the software at a good price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotter For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (03-20-12)
Old 03-18-12, 06:12 PM

hetware will become famous soon enough

For me it's mostly mechanical. My hand simply goes in the wrong direction when forming letters, or skips movements. One might think I'm just lazy and not trying to form letters and words correctly, but that's not what's going on. It just doesn't flow from thought to paper.

I have some trouble with typing, but proof reading usually gets my mistakes. I grew up before PCs were invented, so not being able to write was a major impediment. It still is if I want to go to school and be able to take notes. I simply cannot keep up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hetware For This Useful Post:
APSJ (03-19-12), namazu (03-18-12), peripatetic (03-20-12)
Old 03-20-12, 01:46 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,893 Times in 3,272 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is dysgraphic and dyslexic- made writing papers hard for him in school- even just getting thoughts out onto the computer screen sometimes. He would talk and I would type exactly what he'd said, and we'd go from there... we make a good team when overcoming our "disabilities"...

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-12, 02:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Dr. Mel Levine's books cover Dysgraphia. Your library may be able to order them in.
Old 03-31-12, 07:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

MissesS is on a distinguished road

I just realized I have this. Always thought my shocking handwriting was due to ADHD.

I never had this issue as a child. I had beautiful handwriting as a child. I'm not sure when it started to develop. What I do know is that I'm struggling at work on meetings.
I just can't process what is being said and write it down. It like my hand is possessed! I end up half writing words, writing in various places around the page. I'm get very embarrassed in meetings with others because I just can't write notes! What's worse is that my memory is poor. If I don't write and I still cant focus on remembering what is being said - I'm screwed!

Anyone else also suffer at work? Is there any treatment for it? I did notice when taking dex I started to print and write words.

From what I've read, it manifests in adults after some sort of trauma - does anyone have any example of what this might be?
Old 03-31-12, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

littlefidget will become famous soon enough

I have dysgraphia, although the main component is the speed of my writing. I'm a real slow writer, but I think that's to make up for all the other aspects... maybe?