ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-12, 08:23 AM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road
how many mixed-handed people do we have here?

I just thought this was really interesting. I always thought I was left-handed because I write with my left. I throw and do forceful things with my right hand. Apparently that means I'm not right or left handed but mixed-handed. As a result I'm at risk for lots of mental disorders, haha.

http://danapress.typepad.com/weblog/...ndedness-.html
The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveChaos For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-12-12)
Old 04-12-12, 08:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,464 Times in 2,322 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how many mixed-handed people do we have here?

lol...im just getting to grips with using my right hand ...but on a more serious note when im fighting at taekwondo (not just random street brawls lol) i have a good/strong left...and tend to lead with my left hand
"In dreams you don't need to make any distinctions between things. Not at all. Boundaries don't exist. So in dreams there are hardly ever collisions. Even if there are, they don't hurt. Reality is different. Reality bites. Reality, reality." Murakami
Old 04-12-12, 08:35 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I use my mouse with my left hand but I'm dominant right hand. DH is left handed but plays golf right handed. He is NT.
The Following User Says Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-12-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-12, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Does writing with my right hand and masturbating with my left count ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
AiméeC (04-12-12), Flory (04-12-12), gracious_mama (04-13-12), homestead4u (04-12-12)
Old 04-12-12, 08:43 AM

Thanked 4,464 Times in 2,322 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

yes...yes it does ...lol
"In dreams you don't need to make any distinctions between things. Not at all. Boundaries don't exist. So in dreams there are hardly ever collisions. Even if there are, they don't hurt. Reality is different. Reality bites. Reality, reality." Murakami
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-12-12), PookDo (04-12-12)
Old 04-12-12, 08:43 AM

Thanked 16,820 Times in 7,602 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
Does writing with my right hand and masturbating with my left count ?
possibly...

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-12-12)
Old 04-12-12, 08:54 AM

AiméeC will become famous soon enough

Interesting post! I'm predominantly right handed but there are some things that feel so much more natural in my left hands, like a guitar (not that I can play, I just wanted to play and failed to have the concentration to actually learn...) ha. For years I found it very hard to use a knife and fork because I constantly switch in the middle of eating! I still find that kinda hard to be honest.
Old 04-12-12, 06:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

MissesS is on a distinguished road

I first learnt about mixed handedness during my son's OT assessment as he was showing signs of having it...When it was being described to me I realized that I had it too.

I am predominately right handed but eat with my left. I tend to hold objects with my right hand and use my left hand to manipulate them. I have a pretty good throw from my left hand. From what I can tell, I don't swap hands much and will use my left hand to do things that are close to the left side of my body. This means I'm not crossing my midline. This is why mixed handedness can cause learning difficulties.

What is bizzare is that I'm sure I operate this way because I think it's more efficient. Though from what is said about, its not a good thing to have it!
I don't see the point of having to swap hands each time I want to do something so I just use whatever hand is free.
Old 04-12-12, 07:03 PM

Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,467 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm extremely single handed. My left hand is pretty much useless. I always get told off because I hold my fork with the right hand (and knife in the left) but my left hand isn't capable of finding my mouth with the fork.

Can I please have my sanity back now??
Old 04-12-12, 07:13 PM

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I write with my left hand but do everything else with my right hand.It's funny I didn't know so many people have this too!
'
Old 04-12-12, 07:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

plank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of light

I always kicked with both feet playing football not sure which is strongest. Does that count?
Old 04-12-12, 07:36 PM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road

No idea if that counts or not. I would say no to mixed-handedness but yes to mixed-footedness if there is such a thing (probably not).

Apparently 10% of people are left-handed while 1% are mixed-handed. It's not all disadvantages either. They think because of the different way information is processed in non right-handers might explain why it's easier to approach problems in a non-traditional manner. Cool I guess.
Old 04-12-12, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,163 Times in 2,894 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ambidextrous. I primarily use my right hand but I shoot billiards, bow&arrow and guns as a left handed person... I'm sure there are a few other examples if I really thought about it. I would have been a left handed writer, but my grandma curved that when I was young. I haven't met many people that switch between hands as much as I do, so there might be some sort of connection. Although unrelated, I should mention that I have really bad balance as this is something else that comes up a lot in my ADD reading.
Old 04-12-12, 09:19 PM

Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,060 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Im left handed, but when i box i naturally switch to right handed side- orthodox. I cant stay southpaw.
Old 04-12-12, 09:23 PM

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

I am right handed but I bat and golf left.

You oughtta see some of the stuff that SuzzanneX can do.... She can write her name forwards with one hand and mirror-image with the other and meet in the middle.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.