ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-12, 09:57 AM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold
False Memories

I didn't know where to put this exactly.

Ever since I can remember, I've been creating what I think are false memories. I remember things differently than other people. I used to deny this but studying about it I think that is what has happened.

Two problems:

#1- I have to trust some people to tell me what really happened, like my mom, who is bipolar. I wouldn't trust her with a houseplant. How do I get my memory straight without it being F'ed up?

#2- and this relates back to #1. Some things people say did not happen, others remember DID happen.

It's been screwing with my life. Who is telling the truth and who is not? Some of this crap is quite traumatic.
Old 04-15-12, 10:03 AM
Forum Guru

AshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to allAshT is a name known to all
Re: False Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad83 View Post
I didn't know where to put this exactly.

Ever since I can remember, I've been creating what I think are false memories. I remember things differently than other people. I used to deny this but studying about it I think that is what has happened.

Two problems:

#1- I have to trust some people to tell me what really happened, like my mom, who is bipolar. I wouldn't trust her with a houseplant. How do I get my memory straight without it being F'ed up?

#2- and this relates back to #1. Some things people say did not happen, others remember DID happen.

It's been screwing with my life. Who is telling the truth and who is not? Some of this crap is quite traumatic.
I can understand how hard this is. I used to daily rack my brains out trying to figure out what happened, why it happened, etc.

My own personal solution: Stop trying to figure out the past. You'll probably never figure out what happened, everyone's memories will be different and they will recollect things not 100% accurately...so it doesn't matter if they are 100% trustworthy, their information could still be incorrect.
The Following User Says Thank You to AshT For This Useful Post:
Stressless37 (04-17-12)
Old 04-15-12, 10:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I think it really depends on what the memories are about.

If they are about silly tings that don't matter, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most people have terrible memories, and your brain fills in blanks when you try to recall things that you don't remember.

So, first ask yourself what impact it will have on your life to know whether or not the things are true.

Then if they really are important, maybe take them one by one and ask yourself whether they fit with the rest of the things that you are sure of.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-12, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future

Don't feel bad. Human memory in general is nowhere near as good as most people think it is. Every time I read another study that takes a careful look at this I am amazed at how much we get wrong without realizing it.