ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-15-12, 10:42 AM

Musiscience is on a distinguished road
Question A simple question about Vyvanse

Hi, fellow ADHDers.

I have a questions for those of you who have tried a lot of medications, including vyvanse. I am currently taking adderall XR, but the medication is not suited for me. I have a concentration boost, and I feel really good for a couple of hours, but I end up with ferocious anxiety after 6-7 hours after the dose. I have not yet tried vyvanse, and it is the only drug I have not tried with clonidine. Does vyvanse cause bad anxiety like adderall? Is it worst or is it less? If the anxiety is as bad as Adderall, have you tried clonidine, and if you did, was it successful with attention? Was the anxiety/depression caused by the medication less intense than with adderall XR?

Thank you for the answers, it will be of great use to me when I will see my pDoc. You guys are always of great help!

P.S. -: I should add that it is not possible for me to combine my medication with an antidepressant, they do not work really well for me. I have tried a lot of them and none had a great effect. I need to rely on meditation and the anxiety caused by adderall is too bad to be managed this way.
Old 04-15-12, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,305 Times in 2,922 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A simple question about Vyvanse

Have you tried straight dextroamphetemine ? ......it comes in a tablet ( IR) which I uses cause I can control it the best ....you don't find yourself sitting up at night cause your meds haven't worn off ....

or in EX capsules......according to Mr. Tamborine Man, the brand name is the way to go ....but you should have insurance cause it is very expensive .....and they last several hours.....

Adderall and Vyvanse are based on dex , just have messed around with the basic ingrediant, ( which is adderall) or added a bunch of stuff ( which is what Vyvanse does)

it seems to me that very very people around here who have taken dex have very many problems with it ....it is a clean drug ....and taken properly, has fewer side effects than aspirin ...accrding tp0 the 2 Neurologist who wrote a book on ADD....( sorry can't remember the name of the book or the docs who wrote it ....but it's at least 20 years old )

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Musiscience (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 12:05 PM

Thank you for the answer, I live in canada so the insurance is not a problem, I can get a public refund of 80%.

I have not tried dextro alone, it could be interesting to try. I thought that vyvanse was dextro alone, without the other 2 amphetamine salts contained in adderall? I could really try the IR form, because extended release really seems like a deadly combo with myself.

The anxiety problem is really what keeps me from using the drug more than one day every month. I am really afraid of the drug, because the side effects are really bad.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 05:16 AM
Blitz Attack Moderator

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,353 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Vyvanse was the first ADD med I was put on- The first day was awesome. I felt good, had energy, got some things done, my mind wasn't racing all over the place. I felt like a 'normal' person. But not to discourage you...

The next 6 days- constant nausea, severe panic attacks and severe depression. Although they weren't life threatening side effects, i decided to stop taking this med. Along with allll the other lovely symptoms of ADD, depression and anxiety are among my worst.. but the Dr wants the ADD under control first.. so he switched me to Strettara 5 days ago...I don't think a stimulant is good for me personally, but hear they work wonders for others.

Good luck to you
The Following User Says Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
Musiscience (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 07:34 AM

Thank you Carley!

I have tried just about any other stimulant on the market. They all caused me a lot of trouble with depression and anxiety too, for some reason. I tried Strattera too, but it made me puke all the time. So this drug and clonidine are really like the last things I can try...

The way you are talking, I will probably not tolerate this one either.

Have a nice day and thank you again for the contribution!

Daniel
Old 04-16-12, 10:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,039 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Yes it causes anxiety. Its sutle but noticeable. Not social anxiety but this weird physical anxiety where your muscles are tense all the time.

I was given lexapro to help ease the side effect until it subsided. After about 2 months the anxiety broke and no longer have to use lexapro.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Musiscience (04-18-12)
Old 04-16-12, 10:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

The anxiety is considerably less on vyvanse for me....I had got to the point on adderall, that I was drinking alcohol every night for the anxiety. The Vyvanse works much better, the crashes are much more tolerable. (Just My Opinion)

Regards,
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDarren For This Useful Post:
Musiscience (04-18-12)
Old 04-16-12, 12:38 PM
Fantastic super duper mod

Thanked 1,614 Times in 799 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I see that dexedrine was suggested. For me, one of the things that I liked about taking dexedrine was that I could get little 'boosts' of energy throughout the day. I only switched to Vyvanse after five years of being on dexedrine.

It's really hard to ride out the side effects, but they do go away.

I haven't noticed the anxiety on Vyvanse that I did with Adderall. Overall I like Vyvanse, and I would say that it's been good at managing my symptoms.
Old 04-16-12, 04:44 PM
Jr Member

Lane277 is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I never noticed any anxiety problems on Vyvanse. I just never saw any solid results past the first day. I was on it for 3 weeks. Started out on 20mg, went to 30mg, then finally 40mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lane277 For This Useful Post:
Musiscience (04-18-12)
Old 04-18-12, 06:19 PM

Thank you all for the support.

I will speak with my psychiatrist about vyvanse. I am taking my adderall these days because I am having my final exams and I need good grades. I am experiencing fevers, muscular tension and atrocious anxiety every day, especially at night. I am drinking alcohol every night like ADDarren since I started taking it because the anxiety is so bad. It is the only way I can ease it, meditation no longer works when I take adderall.

Has anyone tried clonidine? If so, did it work well? Did it cause anxiety?