ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-12, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you argumentative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
Do you often find yourself in escalating arguments?
NO! What? Why would you say that? What's the matter with you?

Am not! Am not! Am not! Am not!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
demuregeek (04-16-12), homestead4u (04-16-12), namazu (04-29-12)
Old 04-16-12, 04:14 PM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
Yes.

Oh, wait. You mean outside of my professional life?

No.

I get it all out of my system with work.
LOL

For anyone who doesn't know, Sandy's a lawyer.

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCTang For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-16-12), Sandy4957 (04-25-12)
Old 04-16-12, 04:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

seraphynx has a spectacular aura aboutseraphynx has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Arguing and even debate rocks! It just needs to be devoid of snide, condescending and nasty comments. No one will see or even consider your point if your acting like an a**hole.
Agreed. It is disappointing how easily people confuse the two though. I always was told to 'stop arguing' when my sister and I were having logical debates about science or other topics.

My problem in debate or arguments is remembering to listen adequately to the other person. My mind wants to jump ahead and think about the tons of counterpoints they are triggering for my perspective on the issue, instead of spending time listening to what their side is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seraphynx For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (04-16-12), namazu (04-29-12), sarahsweets (04-20-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 05:14 PM

Thanked 20,028 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Arguing and even debate rocks! It just needs to be devoid of snide, condescending and nasty comments. No one will see or even consider your point if your acting like an a**hole.
I agree sarah, I prefer a more conversational tone to a debate and a desire for both parties to actually learn something.

People who browbeat others, get snide, condescending and nasty don't deserve a hearing. It really does lack character.
buddy (04-16-12), sarahsweets (04-16-12), Unmanagable (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 05:19 PM

Thanked 1,661 Times in 821 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

oh hells yes. I almost can't even help it, saying I play "the devils advocate" is vastly understating :-)

~ Krishnamurti

Attention wandered, I left with it.....

~Helmet

Old 04-16-12, 07:17 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I'm not arguementative at all.I avoid any situation that might escalate into an argument.I will stand up for myself if I have an argument with my husband but I tend to back off if it's like fighting a losing battle.
The Following User Says Thank You to buddy For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 07:20 PM

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,962 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

not argumentative...just stubborn until i get my way...
Old 04-16-12, 07:32 PM
Jr Member

Lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTang View Post
LOL

For anyone who doesn't know, Sandy's a lawyer.
LoL! I guess the only better job for venting might be a contestant on American Gladiators...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifesnotfair For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-16-12), homestead4u (04-16-12)
Old 04-16-12, 08:18 PM

js81pa is on a distinguished road

I have been told argueing releases dopamine. With that said, ADD medicine can make a person more aggressive, not sure if due to increase in testosterone levels or just due to increased dopamine/norepinephrine.

I personally am flip side of the coin guy, neither here nor there on most issues, with an opinion occasionally strongly but not too often. I always thought this was a bad thing but I think is a sign of intelligence as I get older. Of course, it isn't very attractive to women IMO.

ADDers I have been told see life differently, are more macro (world) conscious. I definitely can relate to this, I see flaws and wish they could be fixed or wonder why others that have power don't fix them, but then again, I now see another side now that I have medicince, in that, it makes you not seem to care so much as you tend to be more confident, competitive etc. and it makes me wonder how this is going to impact my view of the world if I stay on them all of the time. I think it is a double edged sword, one being that if you increase YOUR happiness it can rub off to others but on the other hand, you might actually "get a life" and be less occupied with others misfortunes. All IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to js81pa For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-25-12)
Old 04-20-12, 03:38 AM
Banned

Megan288 is on a distinguished road

Used not to be
Old 04-21-12, 07:14 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

Sometimes what happens to me is that I'll say something impulsively that will anger somebody else, and then I attempt to debate/argue why I was justified in saying whatever I said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex9 For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-25-12)
Old 04-21-12, 07:35 PM

addcolin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
I don't feel argumentative.
But I'm told I am.
Most of the time I am just arguing random sides of a story that arn't my own opinion because I'm interested in the other parties views and how their view deals with the other sides.
Confuses people when you back them up on thier point of view, then swith sides, because that argument also fits your way of thinking...
Old 04-22-12, 01:15 PM

kali_shey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ahem, oh not at all...

OK, so I'm a little argumentative. I can really insult some people by always having to prove I'm right.

edit: I laugh only because this issue is something I've had to deal with lately. And that was my immediate reaction.
We must be long-lost relatives or something. I do this exact thing, too. Lots of playing devil's advocate. I have realized that this might be (for me) a way to try to stim myself, before the meds. Since I have been on the Adderall, I find this happens a lot less often, and I have a longer fuse. I don't get irritated as easily, or stay that way as long.
Old 04-24-12, 11:01 PM

js81pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_shey View Post
We must be long-lost relatives or something. I do this exact thing, too. Lots of playing devil's advocate. I have realized that this might be (for me) a way to try to stim myself, before the meds. Since I have been on the Adderall, I find this happens a lot less often, and I have a longer fuse. I don't get irritated as easily, or stay that way as long.
I do the same thing, I had a friend once tell me I do a good job looking at the other side of the coin on issues, I thought this was critical thinking?! Someone else just mentioned their math skills improved on meds and his grammer/english skills declined, as if he switched from a right brained person to left brained.... interesting to say the least, makes me question if ADD is always that big of a deal or is it a societal problem? Of course, me personally, it affects other areas of my life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to js81pa For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-25-12), kali_shey (04-25-12)
Old 04-24-12, 11:06 PM

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Well, yes. I used to be way worse when I was younger. As an adult I've learned how to better negotiate disagreements and give my opinion in a way that is not so harsh. It is really hard for me and sometimes afterwards I feel like punching something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
homestead4u (04-25-12), kali_shey (04-25-12)