ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-21-12, 07:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sir5r1 has a spectacular aura aboutSir5r1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Been here before :( called on the carpet

I have a BA on Biology, an MA in Science Education and an MS in Environmental Science.

I could teach community college or I think even at a University Level. That might be a much better bet for me if I can get in.

If I am allowed to stay where I am now a resource room position or a Second Teacher in the Laboratory might work well. The district I'm in now is low income, high crime and it comes with all problems that go with that.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir5r1 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-21-12)
Old 04-21-12, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Anna3000 has a spectacular aura aboutAnna3000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir5r1 View Post
The union is backing me up. I am supposed to get a consult with the Union Attorney regarding ADA issues and probably procedural errors that were made by my supervisor.
I have consulted with my own attorney as well, we are going to wait until we get a written reasons for termination letter from the superintendent before we go further.
Each state is different, but by law they have only a certain # of days to get the letter to you. Good for you for getting your own Attorney in addition to the Union Attorney. I'm not a teacher - I have worked for a school system in the past in an administrative capacity. Seeing the way teachers were treated blew my mind. Some Principals were fantastic - others were the biggest bullies on the planet. The fact that they have been allowed to get away with that is beyond me. I work in corporate America now - I love it. I can tell you that if anyone tried to bully people the way some Principals do - they would be fired - no questions asked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna3000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-12, 08:23 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,494 Times in 6,387 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have a BA on Biology, an MA in Science Education and an MS in Environmental Science.

I could teach community college or I think even at a University Level. That might be a much better bet for me if I can get in.
I know of professors, who have master's degrees, teaching at four-year schools. They are usually adjuncts.

Are you updating your resume just in case?
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-12, 09:47 PM
Forum Guru

finallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of light

I've done the low-income, high crime teaching stint in two major US cities. It's HELL but having that experience is very valuable and can open the doors when the doorkeepers are into "cultural competency" which seems to be the new PC buzzword of the day.

Since all of your degrees are in a STEM field, I think that you can do some really cool and satisfying things that may be a bit off the beaten path. There is a ton of money being thrown at all kinds of diverse venues by the Fed/State gov't and Foundations.

You are a goldmine for the right organization!! Certified educator in a STEM field, have real classroom experience, culturally competent, clearances up to date and are ready for a change!!

I found these:

http://opportunityequation.org/
http://partnerforchildren.org/storag...uide_CBASS.pdf
http://www2.ed.gov/programs/21stcclc/index.html
http://www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html

I think so many of us on here look really good on paper with our degree(s), experience, **cover letter/resume, interview well and look professional but then the ADHD/Depression/Anxiety kick in and it all goes to Hell in a hand basket. I have come to the conclusion that we need to really think outside the box, do a lot of research, know our strengths/weaknesses very well, and cobble together a profile of ourselves that we can use to sell ourselves in order to have a career that fits us.

**For me, the cover letter is a Godsend as I use it to tie my volunteer work, career(s) and experiences together so it makes sense and my strengths are highlighted. My resume is not able to be streamlined any more than it is so the cover letter is key. I would bet that for many of us on here, the resume alone and/or traditionally written cover letter is more of a hindrance.

Good luck!!! Please keep us posted!! If I come across anything to help you, I'll let you know!

“Shame derives its power from being unspeakable.”
"Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.”
"Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy."

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (04-21-12)
Old 04-21-12, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

I'm updating my resume and looking into all alternatives.
Teaching at a college or university would be a nice fit for me.
I've been told I like to get into the details of things in my lectures by colleagues before.
I will look into it.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
anonymouslyadd (04-22-12)
Old 04-21-12, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
I'm updating my resume and looking into all alternatives.
Teaching at a college or university would be a nice fit for me.
I've been told I like to get into the details of things in my lectures by colleagues before.
I will look into it.
I missed you last post thank you so much for the information and the pep talk!
I needed that...
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings
Unmanagable (04-21-12)
Old 04-21-12, 10:07 PM
Forum Guru

finallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of light

GOOD!! I think that college/university/very bright, well-behaved Middle School and especially very bright, well-behaved High School students would enjoy the details!!

I see that you are on Concerta for the ADHD only. I find it very helpful and also Zoloft for depression and Klonopin for anxiety. Perhaps looking into how those two are in the mix might help??
“Shame derives its power from being unspeakable.”
"Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.”
"Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy."

Old 04-21-12, 11:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

I'm going to go on an antidepressant soon, I will talk to the Pdoc about anti anxiety meds too. I was off all meds for a year, I had a very bad experience with Vyvanse and stopped seeing that Pdoc, the new one is much better.
Ritalin 10mg Afternoon
Zoloft 50mg Evenings