ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-12, 10:14 PM
Jr Member

chekingurl76 is on a distinguished road
this is your brain without sleep

I'm sleep deprived right now. Nothing like I haven't slept for a week but I average 3-6 hrs a day...

It's funny because am I the only one that when sleep deprived feels paranoid about peoples motives, etc.

???
The Following User Says Thank You to chekingurl76 For This Useful Post:
Megan288 (04-27-12)
Old 04-27-12, 03:54 AM
Banned

Megan288 is on a distinguished road
Re: this is your brain without sleep

is that what makes me paranoid about peoples motives? I am this way badly when I haven't had sleep and have taken adderall. I even suspect my own dad, and sometimes my mother... it makes me sad. I don't know because the paranoia seems real, so I have to try really hard to convince myself that "you never thought this way about people until you started taking meds" but, then I wonder if my personality change might be causing people to react angrily to me and treat me differently. I also wonder if I am just noticing things i didn't notice before. I think a side effect is "unusually suspicious" of people. I brought it up to my dr. and he was a deer in headlights.. crickets... but, I think I know what you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Megan288 For This Useful Post:
chekingurl76 (05-02-12)
Old 04-29-12, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,105 Times in 6,657 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I think, sleep deprivation can mess with your brain in all kinds of nasty ways. A lack of sleep can lower your immunity but I guess it can lower all your body's defenses. Our neurons need sleep to regenerate and function properly.

I can imagine that when you are sleep deprived you struggle more fighting off negative or irrational thoughts. For example, when you get a paranoid thought about someone's motives in your mind, you might just be too tired and lack the energy to rationally counter that thought and dismiss it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
jengen (05-02-12), spunkysmum (05-09-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-12, 12:40 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan288 View Post
is that what makes me paranoid about peoples motives? I am this way badly when I haven't had sleep and have taken adderall. I even suspect my own dad, and sometimes my mother... it makes me sad. I don't know because the paranoia seems real, so I have to try really hard to convince myself that "you never thought this way about people until you started taking meds" but, then I wonder if my personality change might be causing people to react angrily to me and treat me differently. I also wonder if I am just noticing things i didn't notice before. I think a side effect is "unusually suspicious" of people. I brought it up to my dr. and he was a deer in headlights.. crickets... but, I think I know what you are talking about.
It is very odd. I always take a week off of Adderall, every month. And during that week, at work I am definitely not as thorough, which shows big time, yet my co-workers seem to be more happy with that, even though my ADHD symptoms return with a vengeance. But then, I think, is it really they are treating me differently, or is it I am perceiving our conversations, etc. differently?
Old 05-02-12, 12:45 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I think, sleep deprivation can mess with your brain in all kinds of nasty ways. A lack of sleep can lower your immunity but I guess it can lower all your body's defenses. Our neurons need sleep to regenerate and function properly.

I can imagine that when you are sleep deprived you struggle more fighting off negative or irrational thoughts. For example, when you get a paranoid thought about someone's motives in your mind, you might just be too tired and lack the energy to rationally counter that thought and dismiss it.
Agreed. My brain doesn't function properly after 20 hours no sleep. Wires in there get crossed and it takes me longer to do my work than usual. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation and NOT the Adderall that makes me paranoid. B/c as long as I get enough sleep, I just feel normal when taking Adderall.
The Following User Says Thank You to chekingurl76 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-02-12)
Old 05-06-12, 01:50 AM

gracious_mama has a spectacular aura aboutgracious_mama has a spectacular aura about

Yes you really need your sleep. Ever heard of the crazy meth addicts who have a psychotic break and get really paranoid? It isn't due to the drug itself it is due to the ability to stay up for days or weeks on end that makes your brain function improperly causing paranoia and eventually psychosis. Same thing can happen on ADHD meds if become chronically sleep deprived. I would strongly encourage you to simply take a sleeping aid or adjust your dosage bc this is a sign that something is way off.
The Following User Says Thank You to gracious_mama For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (05-09-12)
Old 05-08-12, 03:06 PM
Jr Member

haftobeperfect is on a distinguished road

I'm much less sensitive to criticism or slights (real or perceived) from others when I'm on Adderall. I'm fairly certain I've had dysthymia most of my life and one of the symptoms is sensitivity to rejection.

As far as sleep is concerned, I worked out at the gym yesterday for the first time in months/years and last night had the best sleep I've had since I started Adderall about 2 months ago.
Old 05-08-12, 08:47 PM

Guiltripped is on a distinguished road

I sympathize with you all here in this thread. I have all of your symptoms plus discovering OCD due to feelings of rejection and a sleep overhaul