ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-28-12, 12:56 AM
Jr Member

Lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Is this job description common? Just found it...

'General Criteria for Rig Positions:
-- Must be able to work in a drug-free workplace -- not be under the influence of mind-altering prescription or non-prescription drugs, including alcohol and other drugs of abuse.
-- Normally personnel work a 7-day on, 7-day off or 14-day on, 14-day off work schedule -- a minimum of 12 hours a day on offshore rigs.'

I just found that on a job board, I was taken aback by that to be honest. Is this a trend now? What is preventing all employers from doing this same exact thing? Just curious of others input.

Lifesnotfair because I asked to be idle rich, instead I just get to be idle with ADD. Halfway there!
Old 04-28-12, 01:26 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,143 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is this job description common? Just found it...

P*ss*ng in a cup is pretty much SOP for blue-collar work these days -- not just for dangerous jobs like oil well rigger or serious responsibility jobs like locomotive engineer. There are a number of jobs covered by Department of Transportation regulations that simply prohibit the use of psychoactive drugs -- sanctioned or not.

You might want to go to Google and type in 'site:addforums.com drug test' for all the threads here that deals with the subject. (Yes Adderall emphatically shows up as an amphetamine in the standard 5 drug test.)

-- Oscar Wilde
Old 04-28-12, 02:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

mokthraka is on a distinguished road

for most jobs, when you go to take the actual drug test at whatever clinic you go to. You should tell the CLINIC, NOT YOUR WORKPLACE, that you take whatever it is you take, and show them a proscription, even if it pops up on the drug test as a positive, they should still send it to your employer as a clean.
however, for something serious like an Oil well rigger, which is very dangerous, it may be different.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 09:25 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,899 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesnotfair View Post
'General Criteria for Rig Positions:
-- Must be able to work in a drug-free workplace -- not be under the influence of mind-altering prescription or non-prescription drugs, including alcohol and other drugs of abuse.
-- Normally personnel work a 7-day on, 7-day off or 14-day on, 14-day off work schedule -- a minimum of 12 hours a day on offshore rigs.'

I just found that on a job board, I was taken aback by that to be honest. Is this a trend now? What is preventing all employers from doing this same exact thing? Just curious of others input.
That very scenario is the reason that I went four years without a diagnosis... for some reason, the powers that be frown upon nuclear reactor technicians taking anti-depressants (which is beyond stupid, since I'm a lot more stable, likable, and alert on my medications). Perhaps a part of it is the possibility of running out of a prescription medication while away from home?

I assume that it's a rig, as in oil rig? I think prescription medications are a legitimate concern if there is a possibility that you could be cut off from them and go through a terrible withdrawal due to circumstance (not to mention the possible expense of getting a helicopter to evacuate a person in a medical emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-28-12)
Old 04-28-12, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's common, at least not in the US. I would imagine it would have to violate the ADA to require that applicants not take prescription medication.
Old 04-28-12, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,227 Times in 3,057 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I know the government and high security clearance jobs can and often do have such requirements.

They probably care more that you are not bipolar or schizophrenic, but who knows.

I think that ritalin will not show up on a test.
Old 04-28-12, 08:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

mokthraka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I know the government and high security clearance jobs can and often do have such requirements.

They probably care more that you are not bipolar or schizophrenic, but who knows.

I think that ritalin will not show up on a test.
The DOD drug test, tests for the following.

THC(marijuana)
Cocaine
Opiates
-heroin
-morphine
-codeine
Amphetamines
-methamphetamines
-MDMA
LSD
Barbiturates
PCP