ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 03-02-12, 06:54 PM
Contributor

mommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to all
Re: Teacher talking about dosages ???

I make protein shakes at home with frozen fruit and protein whey all the time, but they have to be made fresh or they're not as good. She used to drink the carnations breakfast drinks a few years ago, but stopped liking milk. We could try those again.

Luckily it's spring break coming up so we can have a nice break from it all soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommytriz For This Useful Post:
LynneC (03-02-12)
Old 03-02-12, 08:38 PM

Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,960 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytriz View Post
Thank you,

Having been trying for a very, very long time to "fix" my daughter ( chiro. naturopath, acupuncture, various behaviou systems, supplements etc) this truly was my last ditch "throw everything all in" attempt to give her normalcy without a pill ( besides the numerous supplements I gave her) You must take in my state of mind at the time. her stress level at school which flowed home with her and created an untenable situation for everyone had me at my wits end, yet I was terrified to put her on the "real" ADHD meds the Dr.'s were trying to persuade me to give her. It was a few hard and very expensive months, but it did help me come to the place I needed to be in order to really help my daughter by giving her the meds she needed.
Been there, too.
It's a process for every parent to come to the realization that ADHD is not going to go away, even with the most strident efforts on our part to find a 'cure'. (and it's a process to accept that it wasn't caused by something you did or neglected to do) The strategies that you mention may help, but as you have seen, they don't control symptoms the way that medication can. It's a very difficult decision to make, to medicate your child. Not just the medication aspect, but the realization that ADHD is a life-long condition that isn't 'grown' out of.

Anyway, it sounds like you are having good results with the strategies that you are employing now. Re the fish oil, the most current research says that EPA is the fatty acid that has the most impact, at a rate of 800+ mg/day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (03-02-12), mommytriz (03-02-12)
Old 03-02-12, 09:23 PM
Contributor

mommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to all

Redhairedwitch ~ Your signature is a perfect description of my little girl. LOVE IT !!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-12, 09:31 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Been there, too.
Not just the medication aspect, but the realization that ADHD is a life-long condition that isn't 'grown' out of.
I think this is still one of the hardest things for me to face about this. She is an amazing little girl with real talent at musical theatre, dance, gymnastics and track and she isn't even 8 years old. I just want so much for her and want nothing beyond her control to to limit her potential. KWIM ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Anyway, it sounds like you are having good results with the strategies that you are employing now. Re the fish oil, the most current research says that EPA is the fatty acid that has the most impact, at a rate of 800+ mg/day.
The formula I had been giving her had 320mg of EPA per dose and I upped that the last two days to 640 which resulted in two really good afternoons. I'll see what the naturopath thinks of adding more. Thanks for that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommytriz For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-29-12), LynneC (04-14-12)
Old 04-13-12, 11:25 PM

adderallxl is on a distinguished road

my mom used to spend alot of money buying ensure for $10 for 6 packs,the doctor and my dietician sister said carnation instant breakfast has the exact same ingredients,and cheaper
Old 04-15-12, 09:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronarTheBlack View Post
The feingold diet is not a proven ADHD treatment. It is proven to have worse tasting food though. Maybe the diet is part of the problem because children like food that tastes good? Notice that she is eating the yoghurt once you decided to get one thing that isn't allowed on that diet. We all know that it is better to eat things that are natural but not at the expense of not eating at all. Why not let her eat what she wants (within reason)
If you think that food made with real ingredients tastes bad, then you have a serious addiction to chemical additives. The Feingold diet allows yogurt and any other foods that are made with natural ingredients. I don't see how adding artificial colors or chemically-laden preservatives, or substituting artificial flavoring made in a lab, makes food taste better. Eliminating chemical additives has helped thousands of families manage adhd symptoms.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0522210010.htm

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/2991.html
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

Old 04-15-12, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,035 Times in 7,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccom5100 View Post
If you think that food made with real ingredients tastes bad, then you have a serious addiction to chemical additives. The Feingold diet allows yogurt and any other foods that are made with natural ingredients. I don't see how adding artificial colors or chemically-laden preservatives, or substituting artificial flavoring made in a lab, makes food taste better. Eliminating chemical additives has helped thousands of families manage adhd symptoms.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0522210010.htm

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/2991.html

Personally I'm partial to the ground up cochnieal beetles theyve used in starbucks strawberry frappocinios.. au natural.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Flory (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 12:46 PM

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,961 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Personally I'm partial to the ground up cochnieal beetles theyve used in starbucks strawberry frappocinios.. au natural.
mmmm beetles
Old 04-15-12, 12:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
A great protein source!
Actually, its ground up beetle shells, not the whole beetle.
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

Last edited by ccom5100; 04-15-12 at 01:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (04-15-12)
Old 04-15-12, 08:12 PM
Contributor

qanda has a spectacular aura aboutqanda has a spectacular aura about

I'll take beetles over chemicals.
Old 04-15-12, 09:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Shevey will become famous soon enough

I don't have any older children, just a toddler, but quite frankly I've had to remind even his daycare teachers that they are not his parent or doctor. See, he has allergies and is often sick or appears to be so. The daycare likes to remind me that he didn't sleep well that day, didn't eat well, etc. etc. Then they casually ask when I'm going to take him to the doctor? Um, he has allergies... he's on medication for them... it's not your place to tell me when I need to take him to the doctor. I think the same goes for your issue. Maybe pull the teacher aside and say something like this:

"While I respect your opinion and appreciate your attention to my daughter's needs you are neither her parent nor her physician so I do not appreciate your commentary regarding her medication. That is an issue that should be left between me, my daughter and her physician/psych, not you."

Be polite, but for your daughter's sake and your sanity, be firm.

Effexor... for when you absolutely, positively have to suffer withdrawal overnight.

Old 04-29-12, 06:43 AM

rae! is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We medicate my son (8) and use the teachers feed back to get an idea of how he is going but would never let then decide as some teachers are pro medication and some and anti medication. My son is exactly the same with food. He has been on ritalin for over a year and has grown taller but gained no weight. With his pediatrician's advice we have started giving his sustagen before school and before bed so get some extra calories into his system. We go back in a month to see how it is going. The gains in his behavior and school work out-weigh the negatives though.
The Following User Says Thank You to rae! For This Useful Post:
LynneC (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 07:25 AM

Thanked 16,035 Times in 7,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccom5100 View Post
A great protein source!
Actually, its ground up beetle shells, not the whole beetle.

I actually don't want them to use an alternate chemical I'd rather they just stick to beetles because ot is natural.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (04-29-12)