ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-12, 09:40 PM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough
Question ADD and movies

Anyone watch very few movies? I am very picky about movies. Most don't hold much interest for me. Lots of people I know see one movie per month! I am lucky if I am in a theater once every two years or more. I do watch stuff on Netflix. Many movies are a waste of money and time, for me.
Old 04-28-12, 10:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD and movies

I can't sit through them. It can take me a couple weeks to watch a single movie. Typically I give up before that's accomplished.
Drewbacca (04-29-12), Joker_Girl (04-29-12)
Old 04-28-12, 10:06 PM

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,981 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

Movies are my worst nightmare...it is torture for me sitting in a dingey room for 90± mins where I have to stay quiet, still and concentrate...I prefer watching things on my own, I can at least pause and go back to it though the only thing I don't get it with is Dexter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (04-29-12), Joker_Girl (04-29-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 11:05 PM

thejohnson475 is on a distinguished road

Unlike many of my freinds I absolutely hate movies with over the top CGI and explosions going off every few seconds with the typical cliche happy endings, i.e 'Transformers' it seems like that's the only thing movies are made of these days. Movies that have little to no flashy special effects are 1000x better to me since they require better acting and directing, i.e 'there will be blood' or 'no country for old men' so yeah I am extremely picky when it comes to movies too.

P.s if you know you're going to be forced to watch a crappy movie with freinds or someone you're dating, getting hammered before hand can make the experience a little less terrible
ana futura (04-29-12)
Old 04-28-12, 11:33 PM

Thanked 4,039 Times in 2,698 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

im a movie junkie. except for most romance movies. and horror movies that are so ridiculously over the top gore that it actually disturbs me. and few movies disturb me. and fewer movies scare me (one of which is actually a documentary). i can actually stand pretty much any horror movie's gore. even splatter movies. but the unholy ones from plotdiggerfilms for example are really over the top

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-28-12, 11:41 PM
Jr Member

Untapped is on a distinguished road

I don't have any trouble sitting through a movie (in the theater or at home), but at the end of a film with a moderately complex plot I'm often left wondering how everything tied together. I'll say something like "So how did they know everyone was hiding on the oil rig?" or "I thought those two were enemies. How did they know each other again?" Fortunately, after watching Inception everyone was in the same boat as me.

Also, I won't remember any of the character's names. Much like the people I'm introduced to in real life. "Sorry, your name was....? Andy! Yes, of course..." (nodding head like I knew it all along).
RX: Adderall XR 20mg 4-24-2012
The Following User Says Thank You to Untapped For This Useful Post:
mindracing (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 12:10 AM

Thanked 6,215 Times in 3,056 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I love movies, but I'm also pretty picky about what I watch.

I like going to the cinema, but I also tend to get distracted by the audience really easily. If someone in front of me is texting I will spend the whole movie wishing them dead. I'm also really picky about what cinemas I go to- they have to have good sized screens and stadium seating.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 12:21 AM

Thanked 2,185 Times in 919 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence1989 View Post
Movies are my worst nightmare...it is torture for me sitting in a dingey room for 90± mins where I have to stay quiet, still and concentrate...I prefer watching things on my own, I can at least pause and go back to it though the only thing I don't get it with is Dexter
That is exactly what i do, i LOVE the DVR we got through dish network, i cannot sit still for a whole entire movie, most of the time. I buy DVDs too and watch them a little at a time.

The only kind of movies i can watch all of is like Stepbrothers or Raising Arizona.

Usually if we tape something on the DVR, like a half hour show or something like "Pawn Stars" if i forward through all the commercials thats about all the sitting still i can handle.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
Old 04-29-12, 12:35 AM

Thanked 9,633 Times in 5,263 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Give me a blood and guts occult ,horror action or pyscho drama or an all out comedy where I dont have to think.
Old 04-29-12, 05:09 AM

Thanked 7,468 Times in 3,858 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I'm what you call a film buff. Not so much into classics but know of them. I'm into 80s movies especially kids films. Not little kids films but like The Goonies and Stand By Me. Then 90s movies like The Sandlot, or in my day, The Sandlot Kids.

I love my sci-fi of course and some fantasy. I was madly into Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I'm waiting (and criticising the making of) Ender's Game and I want to see Prometheus because it's another sci-fi movie. I'm getting sick of fantasy and vampires everywhere. The Super 8 was awesome. Course it was made to look like one of those 80's films.

Love British films and was into gangster films when I was about 12.

I like a good story but it has to be good, clever or have something to keep me interested. Before I was on meds I'd watch for about an hour and find myself wandering around. 2001: A Space Odyssey was painful to watch. Still haven't given it another shot.

Favourite film: Stargate. That's a no brainer.

I used to watch a lot of foreign films too. The 400 Cigarettes, The Edukators, The Actors...I'm losing my memory on them but they were good.

Spies are cool too. Love a good spy romp. So, yes, movies are easier to watch when they're about my interests. Even better if my favourite actors are in them.

Movies are a pretty important part of my research because I've wanted to be a screenwriter since forever, so I pay attention, pick it apart, analyse it. Like I do with pretty much everything in my life.
Old 04-29-12, 07:32 AM

rcking is on a distinguished road

I love movies. I have netflix on my computer and I go crazy on it. I end up duel monitoring my TV and computer and have netflix on my TV and other things on my comp screen. Unfortunately I always have to re-watch episodes because I end up forgetting that I'm watching netflix and remember that I have an email to send or check facebook.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcking For This Useful Post:
Conman (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 07:38 AM

Thanked 13,045 Times in 6,170 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I hardly ever watch movies. I just can't sit through them, I get so bored. And it's becoming worse with the tendency of movies to be longer and longer. 90 min for a brilliant movie used to be all that I could stomach but no matter how amazing the movie is, I can't watch anything for 3 hours!!

Strangely, though I can spend the entire day watching one 30min program after the other, like sitcoms or short documentaries. And I love stand up comedy. I think, they are perfect for people with short attention spans since there is a punchline ever few minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
mindracing (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 11:22 AM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough

I do like it at home where I can fast forward through a Netflix movie that might seem moderately interesting to me. The movies I do like, I like a lot. I just think there are a lot of boring movies made. I hate movies that are really predictable too. I must admit if there is a handsome actor in the movie I can tolerate the movie much better! I love to be able to fast forward to the parts with the cute guy!
Old 04-29-12, 11:45 AM

mindracing is on a distinguished road

I'm really weird when it comes to movies. If I haven't seen a movie over and over again, I can say I loved it but can't tell you what it was about!! I have no clue and can't explain the story to anyone. The only thing I can remember about it was that I loved it. How bizarre is that?
ana futura (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 12:46 PM

Thanked 6,215 Times in 3,056 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindracing View Post
I'm really weird when it comes to movies. If I haven't seen a movie over and over again, I can say I loved it but can't tell you what it was about!! I have no clue and can't explain the story to anyone. The only thing I can remember about it was that I loved it. How bizarre is that?

A couple of times I've rented movies, started them up, and then 10 minutes in realized I've already seen it! Unfortunately this usually happens with films I don't like.