ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-29-12, 07:02 PM

Blumpkin5000 is on a distinguished road
Finally Confronting Lifelong Issues

Hey all,
Age 19, distraught male here looking for some help. My entire life I have struggled with behavioral and attention issues. In school, I was always getting into trouble for not paying attention, talking out loud/ out of turn, and failing to do my school work duties. The school I attended made me see a counselor between the ages of 6-8 for these issues. I don't remember too well all what we discussed/practiced, but it was mainly just counselling to better my actions at school. I have had these same problems throughout the rest of my life, and its really starting to take a tole on my schoolwork, self-esteem, and my relationships with others. I have always been smart, so I was able to get by in elementary/high school with A's without paying attention, doing homework, and procrastinating everything to the absolute last minute. Now that I am in college, these symptoms I have been pushing under the rug are really starting to bite me in the ***.
Now that I am on my own and fully responsible for taking care of myself and getting my work done I have been really struggling. I realized that I might actually have some problems out of my control around the age of 14, but I was too embarrassed to ever say anything. All the kids I had been around with ADD and ADHD growing up were usually labeled by most of my peers and family as "crazy". I am from a small town/school and the kids taking these medications was known by everyone and they were notoriously doing poorly in academics and discipline. There have also been kids that have "faked" symptoms to try and attempt to get adderall prescriptions. I really would like help with my problems, but I am afraid of being labeled a "whackjob" and I dont want my parents to think I am just trying to get a prescription for amphetamines. My parents have had concerns with me being ADD in the past, but I would always deny it and good grades would usually cause them to forget about it.
My question is, how do I approach a doctor or my parents with these issues? I am afraid they will not take me seriously as I have never been to a psychiatrist before and I have never complained about my symptoms to my parents or a Dr either. Thanks

P.S. My medical insurance is through my parents so they would have to know about this. I would also not feel comfortable hiding this from them if I were to go see a Dr. about these problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blumpkin5000 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 08:42 PM
Contributor

FreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really nice
Re: Finally Confronting Lifelong Issues

Start with your college medical staff/dept. You are not gonna be the first person to walk in the door with these questions. They should be able to direct you to a good local dr. that can refer you up the line. You don't know what ya got until you go see a professional. And also keep your folks in the loop. If they are involved and invested in your education, they want to see you succeed.
ginniebean (04-29-12)
Old 04-29-12, 08:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,048 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Make a point by point list of things that concern you, then talk to your parents. Tell them your concerns. It wouldn't hurt to givethem some info on adhd as well.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-12, 09:22 PM

Blumpkin5000 is on a distinguished road

The college I am currently attending is out of my insurance coverage network. Should I see a GP first, or can I go straight to a psychologist?
Old 04-29-12, 11:56 PM
Contributor

FreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really nice

Hard to answer, my limited experience with my coverage at the time required a referral. New job, new coverage, new GP accepted my records and has continued with prior recommendations.
Old 04-30-12, 04:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,564 Times in 7,485 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If you are over 18 I *think* that HIPPA laws apply which means that your medical records are private and cant be discussed with anyone unless you authorize them to do so. I would just find a good psychiatrist and go in and be honest.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?