ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-04-12, 12:09 PM

lingslp is on a distinguished road
Trichotillomania & Adderall?

Hey everyone

I have trichotillomania (and ADHD, obviously) and was finally put on Adderall (20 mg IR once a day) three days ago. When my dr prescribed it, he said it might help me with the trich issues too. Is this true? From searching on this forum it seems like Adderall makes trich worse for a lot of people.

So far it has helped me, but I think the reason is that I was so freaking stressed out all the time from my raging uncontrolled ADHD and now that I'm medicated I'm not so stressed. Is that going to go away and then my trich will get worse?
Old 04-04-12, 08:42 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,005 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trichotillomania & Adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingslp View Post
When my dr prescribed it, he said it might help me with the trich issues too. Is this true? From searching on this forum it seems like Adderall makes trich worse for a lot of people.

So far it has helped me, but I think the reason is that I was so freaking stressed out all the time from my raging uncontrolled ADHD and now that I'm medicated I'm not so stressed. Is that going to go away and then my trich will get worse?
It really varies from person to person.

Some people are sensitive to stimulants in a way that triggers pulling/compulsive behavior/tics.

Other people find it helps them maintain better awareness and/or not need the stimulation as much.

Hopefully, you're in the second group!

Be aware that in general, meds (of any sort, it appears) don't always help with trich (period, but especially long-term), and symptoms can recur. Hopefully, you won't find this to be the case.

Still, it might be a good idea, once the dust has settled from dealing with the ADHD diagnosis, to try to put in place some behavioral strategies for trich that you can use to complement the meds, and/or to help you recognize if the symptoms are returning so that you can consider making changes.

Best wishes!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
known_guy (04-04-12), lingslp (04-06-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (07-23-12)
Old 04-18-12, 11:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Shevey will become famous soon enough

For me, being put on Adderall XR absolutely made my hair pulling and skin picking worse than they've ever been. Before the medication it was something I did when I was bored, but while on Adderall I was literally losing hours to it and have some pretty intense bruising, sores, etc.

That said, it's totally different for different people from what I understand.

Effexor... for when you absolutely, positively have to suffer withdrawal overnight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shevey For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-19-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (07-23-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 06:23 PM

cry4help is on a distinguished road

I pull my hair and cry about my life being robbed from me because it seems like this is the only disease no one has invested money for a cure.
Recently they found that this is a genetic disorder and the only cure is a bone marrow transplant. To risky and expensive .

I'm not hearing anyone else mention the most important facts about the hair pulling. Perhaps I have something different? Before you start picking does your head begin to throb in a hurting way deep inside the middle of the brain? If you ignore pulling the throb begins to get stronger and more painful? We have no medication to control these brain spasms and the only way it stops pounding is if we pull in certain areas.

Can you feel the chemical release for every strand and how come no one has corrected information that has been left on the internet or u tube or news interviews?
You must not get brainwashed that your bored or stressed because it's not going to matter since it has a mind of it's own.
The body is telling us when we have to scratch our skin because it's itching.
How long can you ignore the scratch for?
Another example is when we have gas your body needs to let it out.
USE any of these examples to make your point rather being brainwashed that your stressed and must keep busy.
Try holding back a sneeze see how your body reacts.
Or when your needing a release how long can one go on ignoring what your body feels natural doing.
For us it's pulling to release the throb and the pain that will get worse if we ignored it.
The next time you feel that throb you ask your mother to hold her hand on the area to feel the throb before you pick and her what will make this pounding stop. Place a icecube on the area and show her how fast it mealts.
If your not going through these symtems then I wonder who else is?
Old 04-30-12, 07:40 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

Dex makes my gum picking worse but Valdoxan has been the only thing I've ever known to lessen it dramatically. Doesn't help much with the GAD but I think my gum picking it partly OCD and I think it helps that. I've picked my gums for as long as I can remember, I was a small small child when I started doing it. It's hard to talk about it because it makes me want to pick them, but thankfully I've stopped doing it most of the time.
Old 07-23-12, 02:19 AM

DeejayAng has a spectacular aura aboutDeejayAng has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingslp View Post
Hey everyone

I have trichotillomania (and ADHD, obviously) and was finally put on Adderall (20 mg IR once a day) three days ago. When my dr prescribed it, he said it might help me with the trich issues too. Is this true? From searching on this forum it seems like Adderall makes trich worse for a lot of people.

Well I take effexor and that helps with the hair pulling. But as much as I like adderrall I noticed that when I crash one of the symptoms i have is hair pulling, which is so weird because its being controlled by effexor..go figure?