ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Learning Disabilities (LD)
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-12, 01:32 PM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice
Online test for dyspraxia and infos

Hey, I've been reading about different learning disabilities, and thought I would post this online test I found:

http://www.dore.co.uk/learning-diffi...yspraxia-test/

Some specific challenges people w/ dyspraxia might have:
--poor short term memory
--hard time executing a plan, hard time formulating a plan in their head
--delayed motor skills development as child
--delayed speech, or various speech problems
--clumsy, injury prone, coordination problems
--handwriting issues

This website gives a more detailed list of the symptoms. There are a tone of symptoms but people will only have some of them:

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.u...d_symptoms.php

From what I've read its fairly common, roughly 1 in 30 people have it, and people with ADHD or aspergers are more likely to have it.

Here's the wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_dyspraxia
Old 04-26-12, 02:20 PM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice
Re: Online test for dyspraxia and infos

Took the quiz twice, once with my sx as an adult, once with my sx as an 8 yr old. Got the same response for both:

You show a MODERATE probability
of having balance and co-ordination problems.
You show a MODERATE probability
of having fine motor skill problems

I'm not sure how accurate the assessment is, because they are trying to sell a service, and don't require formal diagnosis, but still, this would explain alot. The symptoms that I listed in my 1st post are all problems I've had in my life and have never understood.

When I went back to see my original therapist who diagnosed me with ADHD, it was strange, we talked about how adderall was really working great for me, but I was still having problems in some very specific areas where the adderall was not really effective. We're talking, and finally he says, "Well, I think you may have some learning disabilities besides ADHD." No "lets run some tests" or anything. I was on the verge of a major depression though and had a bunch of stuff going on in my life, so I guess he didn't want to risk bumming me out with another diagnosis.

If I wanted to get a diagnosis/ evaluation, would I see my current psychologist? I'm guessing he would have to refer me for formal testing. I could make a list of the related problems I've had and bring it to him. I'm not sure if there is really any specific treatments for adults? I've probably developed coping skills at least. Maybe just understanding my weirdness and limitations can help.
Old 04-26-12, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,446 Times in 2,316 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

you'd need to see an educational psychologist who can do a WAIS IV profile and diagnose, Dyspraxia also presents similar problems to adhd with executive function, short term memory processing speed etc, its very difficult to unpick sometimes if you have both for me its like did i just trip because i wasn't paying attention or because my dyspraxia (sorry for the crude analogy)..that kind of thing
"In dreams you don't need to make any distinctions between things. Not at all. Boundaries don't exist. So in dreams there are hardly ever collisions. Even if there are, they don't hurt. Reality is different. Reality bites. Reality, reality." Murakami
The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
oneup (04-28-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 01:14 AM
Contributor

Its scary how well this describes my weirdnesses...
Old 04-28-12, 01:34 AM

Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,334 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

It is strange, I'm not sure if dyspraxia really tells us anything more than "you probably are ADHD or autistic."
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
itsanADHDthing (05-28-12)
Old 04-28-12, 03:37 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyMonkey View Post
It is strange, I'm not sure if dyspraxia really tells us anything more than "you probably are ADHD or autistic."
Well, that I'm ADHD and goofy. And, unfortunately, injury prone too, this I already new, but it explains it better.

I have a really bad short term memory also, I think its worse than the people I know in person with ADHD, and medication doesn't help much--I was never sure if it was a dosing issue or what, it helped with other stuff. So this makes sense, I'll just always be the absent minded, mad professor type, maybe a little spacey. My long term memory is good though. I think my memory issues are dysprxic related (assuming I habe this of course).

I have problems with bright lights and occasionally really loud noisy environments too. I had to ask for a work place accomodation b/c of the lighting, and a coworker mentions her son has issues with lighting, and telling me this and that about her son, and I remember saying oh yeah that sounds like me at that age about some stuff. So she starts telling me tons more, and then I remember her sons autistic, and I remember thinking wait, does she think I'm autistic? It was awkward because as far as I knew I was normal, I barely knew what ADHD was back then, so I just changed the subject. I've always tried to hide my wierdnesses or just play it off, and I think especially b/c I'm a guy, I want to blend in, and appear strong and confident. But it feels good to know their might be a actual reason, that I'm not just weird.
Old 04-30-12, 11:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

mokthraka is on a distinguished road

You show a HIGH probability
of having balance and co-ordination problems.
You show a HIGH probability
of having fine motor skill problems.

well... that explains so much.
Old 05-24-12, 11:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

syrella will become famous soon enough

I don't have a problem with fine motor movements, but I've never been a pinnacle of balance, posture, or coordination. Trying to catch a ball or get involved in a lot of sports was near impossible for me. I was always terrible, despite my efforts.

I was gonna take the quiz, but I got part of the way through and was confused at the wording of the questions.
Old 05-24-12, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,796 Times in 7,591 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused...I answered the questions for my son, because he isnt home now, then I took it again and purposely answered them wrong but got the same result?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?