ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-12, 09:41 PM
Jr Member

bethie44 is on a distinguished road
Herbal/ Natural Supplements

I would like to hear from people who have tried various herbal supplements to treat your ADHD symptoms. What did you try, and what were the effects? I'm not going to go into all of the reasons why, but I want to get a lot of harmful things out of my body. I feel horrible. The main things that I am working to come off of are caffeine, Adderall and artificial sweeteners. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 03-17-12, 06:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,359 Times in 3,272 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Herbal/ Natural Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethie44 View Post
I would like to hear from people who have tried various herbal supplements to treat your ADHD symptoms. What did you try, and what were the effects? I'm not going to go into all of the reasons why, but I want to get a lot of harmful things out of my body. I feel horrible. The main things that I am working to come off of are caffeine, Adderall and artificial sweeteners. Thanks for your feedback.
Many have come here over the years asking this question and it is a good one. I wish very much that there was something that was shown to really help but mostly there is nothing in the way of supplements that has any real evidence for treating ADHD.

Here is a quick recap of what I know:
There is some evidence that fish oil (Omega 3) is beneficial for some but not all. Enough evidence is available to show some real possibilities but I suspect it works only for specific subsets of ADHD. Perhaps it might work for you but you simply will have to try it if you choose to look at this route.

We do know that artificial flavorings and colorings can make certain sensitive individuals show greater signs of hyperactivity but again this is only for a relatively small subset. Nothing wrong in eliminating these from your diet though. It can't hurt and it might help.

Some have sensitivity to certain food groups. This might be something to look into. Like the flavorings and colorings, these do not cause ADHD but can bring on or increase symptoms.

Other than that, I know of no supplement that is shown to have any significant impact on ADHD. As with most of these type things, a few might report being helped but most do not. I wish it was otherwise but it is not.

We know that a good healthy diet can help general well being and this can have an impact on the expression of ADHD symptoms. That is very much worth pursuing.

Other than that there are only two validated treatments for ADHD, medication and behavior management.

If you are having issues with Adderol, you might consider talking with you doc and see about trying another drug. There are several medication alternatives and finding the right treatment sometimes takes a bit of trial and error.

Good luck,

Dizfriz
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
APSJ (05-08-12), jjwalters (05-05-12), LynneC (05-09-12), pechemignonne (04-30-12), Retromancer (05-01-12)
Old 03-17-12, 11:24 AM
Jr Member

As far as wanting to eliminate these things from my diet, ADHD symptoms are not the only reason why. I have been having a lot of heart palpitations and also a mixture of anxiety, fatigue and insomnia. I just have a general feeling of being unwell. I want to improve my health overall. I really just don't want to be on any stimulants anymore. At the same time, I naturally have low energy. (If I do indeed have ADHD, it would be the inattentive type, definitely not the hyperactive type. I think that categorizing people's symptoms can be both harmful and hurtful. I think that it should be viewed more as a spectrum rather than saying that someone either has this label or doesn't. Labels should, in my opinion, only be used so that we can know how to treat people with these symptoms/ issues). That was a rabbit trail. The reason I said all that was to say that I also don't want to take any of the non-stimulant medications as I have read that these can make you sleepy. I definitely do not need that.

I read that there is some preliminary evidence that a ginseng/ginkgo combo could help with focus and mental clarity as well as energy. I am going to give it a shot, and I will let you all know. Thank you for response.
The Following User Says Thank You to bethie44 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-09-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-12, 10:35 PM

Jimitrius is on a distinguished road

Nervine trophorestoratives:
-- To nourish, balance and support the nervous system.....
Milky Oats (Avena sativa)
Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum)
Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica)
Brahmi (Bacopa monniera)
Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus)
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus)
Damiana (Turnera diffusa)

^ especially: Ashwagandha - Reishi - Brahmi ---> Must be of proper quality & preparation in order to obtain effects.

Research:

- Ashwagandha: axons dendrites synapses adrenaline
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): neural protein augmentation - exploratory behavior

Bacopa in combination with SNRI's or SSRI's may intensify the activation characteristics of these molecules.

PM if interested in companies of high integrity.

I will be writing in-depth on this personal subject at a later time.

Btw....Hi, I'm Jimitrius.

“Only from the heart can you touch the sky.”
~ Rumi

“Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.”
~ Rumi

Last edited by BR549; 04-30-12 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 04-30-12, 05:03 PM
Jr Member

xllr8er is on a distinguished road

Rhodiola. it's strange, a bit subtle,.... til you don't take it :P.
It's like it kicks in where you drive might normally fail, and just keeps going till you're done. Obviously not as powerful as adderall, but has definite "calming" properties. It's not sedation, but calmness with drive.

I noticed it had me -doing-, w/o my noticing. It wasn't till after that I noticed I actually finished a task I'd normally leave half done. So..... yeah worth a try.

New Chapter brand seems to be the ticket.
FWIW
The Following User Says Thank You to xllr8er For This Useful Post:
bethie44 (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 05:13 PM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Please inform and consult your doctor about taking any "herbal" or "natural" supplements.

These are not necessarily less dangerous nor do they necessarily have less side effects than pharmaceuticals, and they are much less regulated.

You can easily cause yourself harm by mixing such products and using them without a doctor's knowledge.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (05-01-12), APSJ (05-08-12), bethie44 (04-30-12), buddy (04-30-12), Dizfriz (05-01-12), jjwalters (05-05-12), Lunacie (05-09-12), Retromancer (05-01-12), silivrentoliel (05-05-12), spunkysmum (05-01-12)
Old 04-30-12, 06:08 PM
Jr Member

That sounds interesting. I am thinking of seeing an herbalist at some point. As I have heart and thyroid issues (and therefore should have probably never been on Adderall), I have to be extra careful about herbal supplements. I take antidepressants as well as Synthroid, and those are things that an herbalist would need to know as well. Btw, I know that herbalists are not doctors, but I am going to a new integrative medicine center, and the herbalist collaborates with a medical doctor. I am also planning to schedule an appointment with a dietitian this week. I want to improve my diet as much as possible and then evaluate what problems I'm still having. Thanks for the advice/tips, everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bethie44 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-09-12), pechemignonne (04-30-12)
Old 05-01-12, 12:53 AM
Jr Member

xllr8er is on a distinguished road

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40039...-Ails-You.html
a bit of info, about rhodiola.
but, yeah mixing not usually a good thing. I only took this straight.
Old 05-01-12, 12:58 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Google 'site:addforums.com herbal natural supplements adhd'.
-- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by APSJ; 05-09-12 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: guidelines
Old 05-01-12, 10:26 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,943 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recomend that you go see a naturopath. I'm seeing one for RRV (like CFS) and it has helped. It hasn't done anything for the adhd but that's not what I went there for. I really think you should see a professional so you can get the pharmacutical grade supplements. It's more expensive but it's safer and the naturopaths are generally uni trained. The only thing I've taken that has impacted on my behaviour was Spirulina. Took the pms away instantly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
bethie44 (05-01-12), LynneC (05-09-12)
Old 05-01-12, 11:35 AM

Thanked 20,041 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
I'd recomend that you go see a naturopath. I'm seeing one for RRV (like CFS) and it has helped. It hasn't done anything for the adhd but that's not what I went there for. I really think you should see a professional so you can get the pharmacutical grade supplements. It's more expensive but it's safer and the naturopaths are generally uni trained. The only thing I've taken that has impacted on my behaviour was Spirulina. Took the pms away instantly.

I've been thinking about spirulina lately. Years back I tried it and I stopped because along with it came insomnia. Maybe I'll have some effect.
bethie44 (05-01-12), LynneC (05-09-12), spunkysmum (05-01-12)
Old 05-01-12, 04:46 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,429 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
Please inform and consult your doctor about taking any "herbal" or "natural" supplements.

These are not necessarily less dangerous nor do they necessarily have less side effects than pharmaceuticals, and they are much less regulated.

You can easily cause yourself harm by mixing such products and using them without a doctor's knowledge.
I agree.

I believe my Adderall to be a lot less risky than trying the various "herbal energy" products sold in truck stops and gas stations.
Abi (05-05-12), pechemignonne (05-05-12)
Old 05-01-12, 05:16 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,429 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethie44 View Post
Reading down through your subsequent posts I see that you have said that you are at risk for having cardiovascular issues that may make Adderall a poor risk for you, so I won't try to talk you out of your fears about that, since it would seem they are well-founded. Have you tried any of the non-stimulant ADHD meds?

As to the artificial sweeteners....the last time I had to go without Adderall for a couple weeks or so I was trying to use energy shots as a temporary substitute and started to notice that fatigue and "withdrawal symptoms" were actually getting worse. I came to this conclusion after I realized that when I would wake up in the morning and take the shots soon after waking like I do with Adderall, I actually felt BETTER when I first woke up than I did later on. I believe it was the artificial sweeteners in the energy shots I was taking that were making me feel like crap, offsetting any benefit from the therapeutic ingredients in the stuff. I know there are a lot of scary email forwards and rap sheets on artificial sweeteners circulating the internet and when I read those my first instinct is to conclude that there is a LOT of exaggerating and fear-mongering in them, but I do believe that some people are negatively affected by them, and if you're one of those people, eliminating them from your diet could easily result in noticeable improvement in the way you feel.

The same could be true for eliminating caffeine. It could be that you just shouldn't be taking BOTH caffeine and Adderall at the same time. Have you tried eliminating the caffeine and artificial sweeteners while continuing to take the Adderall?

I know what it's like to have a persistent feeling of general malaise. I suffer from chronic constipation and there are times when I can really tell that there are toxins and stuff just basically "locked up" inside my system because my elimination system is not working efficiently. Trying your best to replace caffeinated and artificially sweetened beverages with lots of regular water intake could really be worth a try (and I know, drinking water when you want "sweet", like with salty foods, is not always appealing or easy to get used to, so instead of trying to go off sweet drinks cold turkey, perhaps you could try drinking smaller amounts of higher-quality beverages, like natural fruit smoothie drinks, which are more expensive than cheap soda or sugary fruit drinks but could be worth it. There's one by Bolthouse Farms that I like to buy when I go to Walmart because it has by far the highest fiber content of any of the similar drinks I've seen sold - 8 grams of fiber per serving, and 4 servings in a $3.28 bottle.)
Old 05-09-12, 09:38 AM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep posts responsive to the thread topic. Off topic posts have been removed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-09-12), qanda (05-09-12)
Old 05-15-12, 06:30 PM

Cameron80 is on a distinguished road

Lots of people say there is no "scientific evidence" on treating ADHD w/ herbs/supplements and while that may be true for now, I think they can make a significant difference. I'm going to expand a bit more than just talking about just supplements if that's ok...

I was diagnosed with ADHD around the time I was 15. I've been on Adderall and a few other meds, and while I found those meds to be helpful at times, the side-effects became debilitating and almost wrecked my life.

That said, the best results have come from the following:

1. Going Gluten-Free- it has helped my digestion, and has made me more clear-headed. I had no idea just how much eating tons of bread had adversely affected my health

2. Taking a supplement called Ginkgo Smart (Irwin Naturals) which has a lot of brain boosters. Seems to really get my brain going and there is no drop-off/come-down

3. Exercising enough to keep your body awake and not sluggish, for me it's 2 times a week for 40 mins. Ideally I should be doing it three days a week.

4. Drinking caffeine, not coffee, but tea. Caffeine wakes me up and I don't feel jittery from it

5. Limiting alcohol intake especially the gluten-heavy beer, limiting drinking to weekends

6. Eating Quinoa every morning- a protein loaded with amino-acids. I find this to really give me an energy boost.

More or less by following the 5 steps I've been in much, much better shape in the past few months. *edit* I didn't originally include that I eat lots of fruits/veggies and organic food. If this is too pricey, finding creative ways to avoid bad sweets is really helpful. The anxiety that consumed me is held in check and I feel much better about things. Instead of feeling defined by ADHD, I've crossed the line to being a functional right-brained person. I know that I'm never going to be detail-oriented person, or super-organized, but I'm functional in my own way. Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cameron80 For This Useful Post:
Aphexx (05-19-12), qanda (05-16-12)