ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-12, 12:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

yepimonfire will become famous soon enough
quitting smoking and ADD?

i just realized something, before i went back on the meds, (which unfortunately aren't working as well now, have some adjusting to do) i tried quitting smoking probably 25 times. most times i made it about a day before going back to the cigs but once i actually made it past the "hump" and should've been able to completely be rid of it, but for someone reason nothing felt right without the nicotine, my brain felt extremely fuzzy from day one and it never went back to normal even after getting past the whole irritable crankyness of quitting. something was just always "off".

long story short i went back to the cigs, but i realize now that if my doc can get the meds straightened out, i might actually have a fighting chance at kicking the nicotine addiction. i did realize the first few days of being on the meds i didn't feel like i had to smoke nearly as much to function, but tolerance ensued and....well......you know the rest
The Following User Says Thank You to yepimonfire For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (04-12-12)
Old 04-11-12, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: quitting smoking and ADD?

I am trying the e cigarettes......and should have gotten more if I am gonna fully switch over .....you get the "smoking" part .....it is really a vapor.....and there is nicotine....but not the tars and other bad things reg. cigs have .....

it's about 1/2 as expensive as reg cigs, but you mostly have to get them online .....

I think I wll be able to switch ....and that's a biggie , I have been smoking for close to 50 years ....and I am well and truely addicted .....

there's a forum for e cigarettes and it's huge, but they have some information in their beginner section, but be patient ./....there is a whole lotta info on the subject ....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 04-11-12, 01:54 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,634 Times in 6,460 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post
long story short i went back to the cigs, but i realize now that if my doc can get the meds straightened out, i might actually have a fighting chance at kicking the nicotine addiction. i did realize the first few days of being on the meds i didn't feel like i had to smoke nearly as much to function, but tolerance ensued and....well......you know the rest
It can be done. I always have mints, something to pop in my mouth, with me though. Always.
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-12, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

yepimonfire will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
I am trying the e cigarettes......and should have gotten more if I am gonna fully switch over .....you get the "smoking" part .....it is really a vapor.....and there is nicotine....but not the tars and other bad things reg. cigs have .....

it's about 1/2 as expensive as reg cigs, but you mostly have to get them online .....

I think I wll be able to switch ....and that's a biggie , I have been smoking for close to 50 years ....and I am well and truely addicted .....

there's a forum for e cigarettes and it's huge, but they have some information in their beginner section, but be patient ./....there is a whole lotta info on the subject ....
Yeah I have an e ecig but without the other minor tobacco alkaloids its just not as effective
Old 04-12-12, 08:56 AM

Thanked 16,904 Times in 7,643 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you, I am just not ready yet. I hope to quit by the time I'm 40.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-12-12, 10:57 AM

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

It's really, really hard.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 04-12-12, 11:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

I originally quit with an e-cig, but quickly switched to snus.....(I smoked that e-cig 10 times more than real cigs)

I get my snus directly from sweden, it better that anything american tobacco companys have.

It's not perfectly safe, but it's a lot safer than inhaling the product of a burning plant.
Harm Reduction!

Regards
Old 04-13-12, 08:09 PM

Candy_M is on a distinguished road

I quit a couple of months ago cold turkey. I just got a urge to up and quit for some strange reason and even still had cigs in my pack. I am a chain smoker btw. I lasted 8 weeks without even a single drag.

The first 3 days were bad. If anything was remotely stressful to me I would become hysterical and start crying. But I could deal with that since I was off of work those days. Then things got a lot better. Cigs started smelling bad to me and didn't even really think about it at all even when around other smokers. The only problem was I felt like I was sinking into a depression. I'd wake up in the morning and be like what's the point. So.....one very stressful day at work I took a drag and the depression lifted immediately. Then a whole cig the next day and so on and so forth til I'm back in the saddle again. And now that I'm on stimulants its REALLy REALLY BAD! I couldn't see myself stopping while on the meds. It seems like it would be impossible.

ADHD - Inattentive
Depression
Anxiety
Old 04-15-12, 11:10 PM

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Just set a record for me ....other than being stuck on a plane, or asleep,......I have not gone for 6 hours awake in a row without a cigarette......

I just did .....

I think, I hope, I am trying to switch to them ....46 years of smoking is quite enough.....and until I read about e cigs in a different thread here on this forum, I had not really heard much about them .....

researched for several nights, thought it might work, got a disposable one, that worked pretty well until I lost it....

and then took the plunge,......send for a starter kit .....

arrived yesterday .....already cut my regular smoking in 1/2, and the last 6 hours without a "real " cig .....

Yeeha !

this might not seem like much ....a lousy 6 hours, but it has been decades since I could say something like that .....

and now I am gonna go and smoke a regular one,.....it seems the longer I use the e cig, the less I like the regular ones.....so every now and then I have to try a reg. one just to make sure .....

I never thought I would even try to quit .....I figured I was a hopeless cig. addict.....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
BR549 (04-16-12), stef (04-17-12)
Old 04-16-12, 08:55 PM

Candy_M is on a distinguished road

Six hours is a lot when you're heavily addicted! Pat yourself on the back for every little milestone.

ADHD - Inattentive
Depression
Anxiety
Old 04-17-12, 03:45 AM

Camron is on a distinguished road

Quit smoking is not easy task, for this purpose lot of will power is required, the only
thing is more important that is the internal power of the individual. If you are not willing
to quit smoking you can not quit.
Old 04-30-12, 01:31 PM

ageffo is on a distinguished road

I 'quit' many years ago with the help of a program from the American Lung Association. I say 'quit' because, every once in a while (like two years in between, even) I suddenly find myself needing to try them again. I just have a few, all the while realizing how stupid I am being, yet, I can't seem to stop. then I feel like a real idiot and quit again for years. It's better than smoking all the time but I don't fool myself that it's not harming me. Enough about me. I write because the basis of the program was great. We didn't try to quit until the third week of a six week program. First, we carried a card and it had columns listing which cigarette of the day it was (first, second etc.) then the reason for smoking and the time of day. A couple weeks into it, We added a column at the end which listed possible things we might do instead of having the smoke. By the third week we really realized the reasons we gave ourselves were bogus and that it was purely an addiction. this was still hard to face but we didn't lose power because we believed someone or some condition was making it necessary to smoke. Good luck
Old 05-01-12, 06:51 PM

Solomonnn is on a distinguished road

the only way ive found to stay off the filthy cigarettes on the medication is to exercise every day. If i dont exercise, i consider, the dreaded 'just one puff' and I am away again.

I hope this helps. I am battling with the smokes myself, so I feel ya pain there.