ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 04-27-12, 12:20 AM

Wittykitty is on a distinguished road
Kicked out of college

Hi I got kicked out of a private academy about a year ago. I had all the symptoms of add but didn't have insurance to see a doctor. So after trying and trying to get in for a year I had to get health insurance so I could see a psychiatrist because the school reared "mitigating circumstances" to get in. So now they are asking me to fill out an Ada/section 504 section. I had to write an appeal letter and get a note from my doctor, and they took a copy of my prescription. So I was wondering if a school can deny your appeal if you have a that Ada disability form or what re the laws. They have denied my appeal twice before. This is a private academy by the way
Old 04-27-12, 02:44 PM

starvinmarv is on a distinguished road
Re: Kicked out of college

I'm sorry I cannot understand your post at all really, you need to rewrite it if you want anyone to respond and help you.
Old 04-27-12, 03:23 PM

Wittykitty is on a distinguished road

I was kicked out of a design school because my gpa was lower than a 2.0 for a couple of terms. I was diagnosed with ADD. I have been trying to get back into the school for a year now. I had to write a letter to appeal the decision and to let me back in. This is the 3rd letter I have written. I turned in a letter from my doctor along with my letter and they took a copy of my prescription. They also want my psychiatrist to fill out an Americans with disabilities form. So, what I am asking is can they still deny me after all this, like what are the laws regarding that Ada form and colleges (regarding ADD). Does anyone know or have any information
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-12, 12:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

CrimsonDreams is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm guessing you don't live in the states, seeing as the things you have to do sound a bit different. The ADA form; I've never had to do one of those things. The final decision usually falls on the Financial Aid Office of your school and on the contents of your letter. I've done some research, and usually your letter has to be in a certain format.

You have to state your circumstances, generally acknowledge that it was your fault, ect, ect. And lastly, you have to say what will be different; what you will change (i.e. working with your school's disability office to get accommodation, getting tutoring) to assure that it does not happen again. Basically, you have to make sure it is the best letter that you have written. I'm sorry if that last bit made you nervous, but I'm going through the same thing, and that is how I feel about it.

Also, does your school has anything like a Disability Office that you can see? Maybe you can talk to someone there and they can get you accommodations.
For example, in my case (I'm an online student living abroad) I called the disability at my home campus and explained my situation and they said that after I get my documentation in that I could probably get time extensions. Maybe your school could do that and possibly more things.

I know this is long, but I hope I've helped you a little. I'll be rooting for you.
Old 04-28-12, 04:30 PM
Forum Guru

finallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of lightfinallyfound10 is a glorious beacon of light

If it's a private academy that takes no federal dollars, I think that they can do pretty much whatever they want. Sadly. Can you get letters of recommendation from employers or therapist who can attest to how much better you are doing on meds? Did they say why they denied you 2x in the past?

Good luck!!
“Shame derives its power from being unspeakable.”
"Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.”
"Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy."

Old 05-01-12, 06:26 PM
Jr Member

aeroeng9 is on a distinguished road

I've worked closely with administrators at my school and I'd say it all depends on the school. Sometimes, they will make you take some courses at a community college and then allow you to return to school or I've seen people forced to change majors and it is the way they'll allow them back in and then you have schools that are just harsh and would deny appeals they get. If you have proper medical statements and whatnot, I think chances are that your appeal might get approved. Good luck!
Old 05-01-12, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

kuhan1923 has a spectacular aura aboutkuhan1923 has a spectacular aura about

Man if you got kicked out of school, why don't you do something different with your life? It's obvious you didn't like, or weren't interested in the subject material.

You can do anything with your life, why waste it?