ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 04-30-12, 06:26 PM
Contributor

mommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to all
Report card comments

Ok, so for those who have had children taking medications which the teacher knows about. Do they usually make comments about your childs medication on therir report card. I guess I hadn't even thought about it and now have received my daughter's report with two references to her doing better because of her medication. I must say I'm pretty ticked off. Am I being unreasonable? As far as I'm concerned SHE made any changes, the medication just balanced the chemical imbalance in her brain, it did NOT MAKE her behave better. The report card would not mention the allergy pills she takes to keep her eyes and throat from getting too itchy at school !!! so why the mention of her stimulant meds? I'd like this card altered to take those references out.
Any thoughts before I go to war.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommytriz For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (04-30-12), ginniebean (04-30-12), LynneC (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 07:25 PM

Thanked 4,111 Times in 1,819 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Report card comments

I wouldn't go to war over this; just politely ask that those references to medication be removed.

It doesn't really matter why your daughter's performance improved, comments should be factual (sticking to specific areas of improvement and quantification of improvement, if applicable) and not speculative.

Medication has improved my son's behavior and academic performance--his teachers and I definitely agree on this and we discussed it at our recent parent/teacher conference--but his teacher never alluded to this in the written report. Our report card even has some subjective measurements such as participation, teamwork, etc., and even here the teacher focused her comments on DS's performance with no subtext as to the driver behind the improvement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Mango For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (04-30-12), mommytriz (04-30-12), namazu (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 08:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

I agree that this is not the type of comment that should be on a report card. I would definitely ask the teacher to re-write her comments and make sure that the comments regarding medication are not in your daughter's official record as well.

Is this the same teacher who was advising you about dosage? It sounds as though she is fixated with this issue. I would go further and report her to the district office.
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (04-30-12), mommytriz (04-30-12), namazu (04-30-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-12, 09:20 PM
Contributor

mommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to allmommytriz is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies. I guess going to war is a bit strong for what I had in mind. These comments just seemed unprofessionally included and hit me the wrong way. Thanks for the validation from someone that this is out of line as this is her first reporting period while taking anything and I was just so shocked to see it, especially the way it was included as though it was all about the medication and she had no part in her successes. I could just send her pill bottle and place it on her desk if that was the case. I've sent a firm, but polite e-mail to the principal explaining why I'd like the comments removed and will follow up with him in person tomorrow.

Yes, this is the same teacher commenting about dosages. Maybe I'll work that into my conversation with the principal tomorrow and see what his reaction is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mommytriz For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (04-30-12), ginniebean (05-01-12), LynneC (05-01-12), namazu (04-30-12), Senzafine (06-13-12)
Old 04-30-12, 10:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytriz View Post
... as though it was all about the medication and she had no part in her successes. I could just send her pill bottle and place it on her desk if that was the case.
LOL! I'd love to see the teacher's reaction to that!!
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
mommytriz (05-01-12), Senzafine (06-13-12)
Old 04-30-12, 11:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Harrier will become famous soon enough

I can't intelligently comment on Canadian laws, procedures, safeguards, etc. However, it seems that it might compromise your daughter's confidentiality. In the States, SPED records have to be kept in a separate location and are not allowed in the school files that everyone has in the front office.

Just thinking out loud...not really sure about this idea yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harrier For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-01-12)
Old 05-01-12, 05:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,210 Times in 7,313 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

You have really kept a cool head with these teacher issues..bless your heart! I know you didnt mean "war" but sometimes when dealing with a school district or a teacher that thinks they also are an expert in pharmacology, it can be war. I say call, complain and document.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-01-12), LynneC (05-01-12), mommytriz (05-01-12)
Old 05-01-12, 01:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have to say that this stupifies me. I work in special education and have never made a comment in any way that communicates judgements on medications. I ask what my students are taking, so it can be included in the paperwork. I may have opinons, but keep them to myself as I am not licensed by my State to make such medical determinations. Anyone who does is a fool and stepping way outside their scope of knowledge. It also propagates all these negative attitudes about teachers and districts. It so understandable when I see those feelings on the forums, but it hurts a little too. I work so hard for my kids and their parents, and hope none of them feel that way about me.

Sorry for the ramble - No teacher should be making comments about the actual medication. We should limit scope to behavior scales, assessments, and noting behavior/words/work level (with no judgement of emotion).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harrier For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (05-01-12), LynneC (05-02-12), mommytriz (05-01-12), sarahsweets (05-01-12)
Old 05-01-12, 10:28 PM

Thanked 4,111 Times in 1,819 Posts
Ms. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond reputeMs. Mango has a reputation beyond repute

Were you able to have the report card modified?

This teacher's behavior is pretty unprofessional. OP, do you think that there's more going on here or do you think she's just clueless?
Old 05-02-12, 12:25 AM
Contributor

Thanks everyone,

The principal had a new report card with the medication comments removed ready for me pretty quickly. I think her teacher has good intentions, just a lack of judgement on this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mommytriz For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (05-02-12), ginniebean (05-02-12), Harrier (05-02-12), LynneC (05-02-12)
Old 05-02-12, 06:22 AM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

Whether having references to medication on the evaluations is a tricky issue. If you change doctors, it's useful to have written documentation that there was a noticeable improvement upon being on the medication. I've worked with college students, and some doctors are very wary about prescribing medications to them. If they see evidence of a history of success on medications, they're more likely to prescribe them because they know that the medications are essential to being successful in college.

At the same time, it's not the teacher's place to say things happened because of the medication, nor is it wise to have sensitive medical information in a file that anyone at the school could stumble upon.

Here's my take:

Comments about medication should not be on the report card. It was absolutely correct for you to have them removed.

The teacher's subjective observations about her performance on medication should be added to her personal medical file with the doctor. Don't restrict her language here. If she sees a noticeable improvement right after her lunch dose, for instance, or a noticeable difference on days she doesn't have medications, then let her write it. This should be strictly for the medical file and not the school file.

Finally, it's not inappropriate for her to say that the improvements probably would not have been seen without medication and that many of the changes can be attributed to the medication. That's a factual statement. Of course, the medication isn't ALL that's responsible for the improvements, and a statement to that effect would be inappropriate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyLazyGal For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-02-12), mommytriz (05-02-12)
Old 05-02-12, 06:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,210 Times in 7,313 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think comments about medications would be helpful on say an IEP plan or health care office record but have no business being on a report card. I would just be concerned that your child's progress and strides would be attributed to just her medication rather than to her overall positive progress.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-02-12), mommytriz (05-02-12)
Old 05-02-12, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

I include information in the IEP regarding what medications students are on and official diagnoses they have in case someone ever wants to challenge a student's disability or need for services. The IEP is a legal and binding document. I never make judgements on the meds. If the parents want to include judgements on their IEP Parent Questionnaire, then I do include that information in the IEP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harrier For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-02-12)