ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-12, 01:33 AM
Jr Member

antheia is on a distinguished road
Re: In med school and no I didn't try to get diagnosed with ADHD just to help me stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveChaos View Post
Thanks!

Although I'm going into a field where we give out drugs like candy (in the US at least), I've always tried to find a non-medical way to solve my problems. Sometimes that isn't enough. I don't know what you're majoring in but drawing stuff out is about the only way I can get information into my head in order to apply it in a question. I'm a big advocate for diet and exercise in helping ADHD, it really helps with the jitters and makes your focus better.
I'm a chemistry major. I really love chemistry, but sometimes I wonder if I didn't choose this major out of some masochistic streak or something. Drawing things out does help me, especially with certain problems, but I'm more of an auditory learner, so recording my lectures makes a big difference. It gives me much more latitude when I'm taking notes because I know I can go back and fill in the blanks.

About exercise, that's something I keep saying I'm going to work on... I suppose I need to just DO it, like everything else. I will take that to heart and actually get on the giant treadmill taking up half of our living room. LOL! Luckily, my diet is okay.
Old 04-18-12, 03:53 AM
Banned

Megan288 is on a distinguished road
Re: In med school and no I didn't try to get diagnosed with ADHD just to help me stud

Hi,
Outstanding post! There are many points of interest for me. I'm curious about your knowledge of negative effects of SSRI's. I also think you are so smart that throughout life prior to med school you were above issues most people with ADHD face regarding school and work because it was easy and effortless for you.

Until now... and it seems like you've finally met your match with Medschool. I know the first year can be a grueling adjustment for many and effects their mentality. Not everyone with ADHD need meds. Especially if before medicine you were functioning as well as you were.

ADHD runs in my fam and my older brother, who is in medschool, might have it. He had to sit out a year in school. He thought about taking amphetamines because a lot of his classmates did but he didn't. So anyway, he graduated a couple years ago and was just named chief resident. So, yea after his first year he had to sit out. His girlfriend called out mom to say that she was so worried about him and had never seen him so bad. (probably depressed or something) It was so rough for him. God, five years later, he's doing so well. This is a boy who made some d's, f's in highschool, but was captain of the basketball team and was well liked. Met his gf, senior week at the end of his senior year in hs, went to college and only made one b. took a year off, studied hard for the mcat, got into medschool and hit the wall his first year. He made it through, though. By his senior year he perfected the way he studied best, and I think it was something like 15 mins on, 5 min break all day long instead of one long breaks in the middle of the day or something. I'm hesitant to say bad things about medication in this place.

Best of luck to you.
Old 04-18-12, 08:08 AM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by antheia View Post
I'm a chemistry major. I really love chemistry, but sometimes I wonder if I didn't choose this major out of some masochistic streak or something. Drawing things out does help me, especially with certain problems, but I'm more of an auditory learner, so recording my lectures makes a big difference. It gives me much more latitude when I'm taking notes because I know I can go back and fill in the blanks.

About exercise, that's something I keep saying I'm going to work on... I suppose I need to just DO it, like everything else. I will take that to heart and actually get on the giant treadmill taking up half of our living room. LOL! Luckily, my diet is okay.

Cardio is the best for academic performance. One of the hardest things to do is get into a routine and stick with it long enough to get the good feelings attributed with exercise. There are some strategies on training yourself to like working out like eating a piece of chocolate every time after you get done. Sounds stupid, doesn't it? It's all about forming habits and habits are mostly formed through positive reinforcement. I was borderline obese 5 years ago and though it took a lot of time, a lot of setbacks, and a lot of frustration it was worth it. Just find something you like to do and it's not so terrible. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveChaos For This Useful Post:
antheia (05-04-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-12, 08:19 AM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan288 View Post
Hi,
Outstanding post! There are many points of interest for me. I'm curious about your knowledge of negative effects of SSRI's. I also think you are so smart that throughout life prior to med school you were above issues most people with ADHD face regarding school and work because it was easy and effortless for you.

Until now... and it seems like you've finally met your match with Medschool. I know the first year can be a grueling adjustment for many and effects their mentality. Not everyone with ADHD need meds. Especially if before medicine you were functioning as well as you were.

ADHD runs in my fam and my older brother, who is in medschool, might have it. He had to sit out a year in school. He thought about taking amphetamines because a lot of his classmates did but he didn't. So anyway, he graduated a couple years ago and was just named chief resident. So, yea after his first year he had to sit out. His girlfriend called out mom to say that she was so worried about him and had never seen him so bad. (probably depressed or something) It was so rough for him. God, five years later, he's doing so well. This is a boy who made some d's, f's in highschool, but was captain of the basketball team and was well liked. Met his gf, senior week at the end of his senior year in hs, went to college and only made one b. took a year off, studied hard for the mcat, got into medschool and hit the wall his first year. He made it through, though. By his senior year he perfected the way he studied best, and I think it was something like 15 mins on, 5 min break all day long instead of one long breaks in the middle of the day or something. I'm hesitant to say bad things about medication in this place.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks! It's always nice to have your ego stroked!

Most of my knowledge about SSRI's comes from the negative experiences I had with them. Unfortunately, I had about every side effect. When I took Lexapro I gained weight, had a pretty flat affect (zombie mode), and had the oh so wonderful sexual side effects. Huge strain on my relationship at the time and a very bad side effect considering I was 20 years old. Feel free to ask any more questions about that.

Thanks for sharing the story about your brother. It's always nice to hear about someone who has struggled with the same problems. I can't wait to get into the clinical stage of my education because as dumb as it sounds, if I'm allowed to move around I learn a lot better.

Don't be afraid to say bad things about medications on here, we do it all the time. I will say though that they've done tons of studies with the stimulants and the amazing thing about them is that there is little/no placebo effect. This differs greatly from anti-depressants. Right nowt there aren't other many treatment options that are well established that really work. Last time I read up on those methods they were developing some kind of re-training program where you would stare at a computer screen and would be rewarded for being focused (I completely forget how it worked but it was complicated).
The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveChaos For This Useful Post:
Megan288 (04-19-12)
Old 04-19-12, 07:02 PM
Banned

Megan288 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks! It's always nice to have your ego stroked!

Most of my knowledge about SSRI's comes from the negative experiences I had with them. Unfortunately, I had about every side effect. When I took Lexapro I gained weight, had a pretty flat affect (zombie mode), and had the oh so wonderful sexual side effects. Huge strain on my relationship at the time and a very bad side effect considering I was 20 years old. Feel free to ask any more questions about that.

Thanks for sharing the story about your brother. It's always nice to hear about someone who has struggled with the same problems. I can't wait to get into the clinical stage of my education because as dumb as it sounds, if I'm allowed to move around I learn a lot better.

Don't be afraid to say bad things about medications on here, we do it all the time. I will say though that they've done tons of studies with the stimulants and the amazing thing about them is that there is little/no placebo effect. This differs greatly from anti-depressants. Right nowt there aren't other many treatment options that are well established that really work. Last time I read up on those methods they were developing some kind of re-training program where you would stare at a computer screen and would be rewarded for being focused (I completely forget how it worked but it was complicated).
the x and spacebar computer screen focusing test? I took that Yo welcome for strokin the ego.
You'll definitely do well in the clinical stage!
Old 05-04-12, 11:19 PM
Jr Member

antheia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cardio is the best for academic performance. One of the hardest things to do is get into a routine and stick with it long enough to get the good feelings attributed with exercise. There are some strategies on training yourself to like working out like eating a piece of chocolate every time after you get done. Sounds stupid, doesn't it? It's all about forming habits and habits are mostly formed through positive reinforcement. I was borderline obese 5 years ago and though it took a lot of time, a lot of setbacks, and a lot of frustration it was worth it. Just find something you like to do and it's not so terrible. Good luck!
Sorry it took me so long to find this message! Thank you for your reply!

I used to exercise regularly and I actually loved it, when I was exercising. I mostly lifted weights but started my workouts with cardio. I used to do cardio exclusively but I found that I got MUCH better results from weight training. I lost more body fat and had a lot more muscle definition. I also did a lot of yoga, which I totally adore! I think I miss yoga the most!

My biggest problem is getting started. Back when I exercised, I had a workout partner that was always motivated to go to the gym, so it was easy because we hung out all the time. Now I spend all my time with my husband (neither of us is very social, so this suits us just fine). My hubby really isn't in to exercise, so we spend the majority of our time sitting next to each other on the couch, "playing" on our laptops.

If there was some magical way of bypassing the part where I have to START exercising and just go straight to the actual act of exercising, I would be all set! LOL!

So, back to what you said about finding something I like: I don't seem to have a problem with liking exercise. I think my problem is liking to do things that I know are good for me, even if I enjoy them. I don't know what that's about, but it has plagued me my entire life. It's like I prefer to sabotage myself by doing self-destructive things, or just avoiding beneficial behaviors. Sad, huh?

Maybe I just have to figure out some sort of reinforcement that would work for me? I have NO idea what that could be!
Old 05-05-12, 01:03 AM

clarej has a spectacular aura aboutclarej has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for your in-depth posts Brett.

I am 43 and am just going through the process of being diagnosed with ADD. When my 13 year old son was diagnosed with ADD 5 years ago, the thought did cross my mind that I shared many of the traits associated with ADD. However, my largely medical family dismissed any thoughts I may have entertained about ADD, as I was "too high functioning to have ADD"!

Well, I came across a book that jumped out at me a couple of months ago (when looking for some answers to my 75 year old mothers ADD-like behaviour) - "Women with ADD" by Sari Solden and couldn't help crying because for the first time in my life someone was describing me and the struggles that I have wrestled with on my own.

What I find fascinating is that when I mentioned my discovery (the insights from Sari Solden's book) to my Neurologist/psychiatrist sister-in-law she laughed because my brother, who is a radiologist, had just had a skit night with his residents and they had portrayed him as needing some help from Ritalin.

My whole family have all achieved significantly in the academic/leadership world - perhaps because we make connections that others miss? However, we all struggle to varying degrees with the day to day need to stay focussed on the mundane things. We all work incredibly hard to make up for our deficits. I would say that anxiety is very high in all of us - perhaps because, speaking for myself, I feel so overwhelmed so much of the time when it comes to my personal life. I hide it very well - but over time it has begun to show in the fact that I am always dodging spontaneous, social interactions, because I keep feeling that I need to "catch-up" - and doing fun things will distract me from reaching my goal. I now know that the need to "catch-up" can't be explained to people anymore - how can you spend 6 months doing your taxes - and not be on top of them yet? And yet I can run huge budgets and projects that are really complicated, and be completely on top of things - the difference is - taxes are sooo boring, I can't stay focussed!.

Anyway, it's late . . . so perhaps, before I really start to ramble I will sign off . . .