ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 05-08-12, 08:40 PM
Jr Member

ayers1995 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 14 yr old twin and his bad decisions

One of my 14 yr old twins is out of control. I am just at my wits end and ready to send him somewhere that can help him. He isn't caring about school, isnt caring about his bad decisions like cutting class and getting a ticket for it, cursing... Now I just found out he was smoking at his bus stop this morning.

He's already grounded until we go to court for the ticket. What else do I do? I'm so sick of trying to get him to give a ****! I mean I'm looking at the possibility of this kid being in jail. He's had the cops called on him for shooting air soft guns at people, throwing rocks at neighbors house, slinging mud on someones door.

Omg!
Old 05-09-12, 12:28 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of
Re: 14 yr old twin and his bad decisions

How long has this behavior been going on? Has he been evaluated and diagnosed? If so, what are his diagnoses, and what treatments have been tried?
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLazyGal For This Useful Post:
LynneC (05-09-12)
Old 05-09-12, 10:39 AM
Jr Member

ayers1995 is on a distinguished road

His been diagnosed since he was 7 as adhd. We've tried several forms: Daytrana is what is currently prescribed. I have a hard time getting him to wear it... the behaviour settles a little - then picks back up more aggressive. (skipping class, smoking) I am going to schedule another appt with the psychiatrist.. he definately needs someone to talk to.

As far as school goes - he just doesn't seem to care any more.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-12, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayers1995 View Post
He's had the cops called on him for shooting air soft guns at people, throwing rocks at neighbors house, slinging mud on someones door. Omg!
I wouldn't rule out his being bullied and picked on by people. That would cause this type of behavior.

If not, then perhaps he is just an impulsive kid. My ds was very impulsive and would do stupid things like that, with no malicious intent. Stimulants made him more impulsive and also made him aggressive. Then, we tried Tenex, which is working wonderfully to help him control his impulses. Tenex is a non-stimulant med (guanfacine). He takes it 2X/day (morning and after school). Intuniv is the 24/hr version of guanfacine, which is taken 1X/day.
He also follows an additive-free diet.
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

The Following User Says Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-10-12)
Old 05-10-12, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

Is ADHD the only diagnosis? It sounds like there may be more going on.
Old 05-10-12, 01:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,951 Times in 6,758 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

ODD comes to mind

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-15-12, 10:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

happytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud ofhappytexas has much to be proud of

Bullying is a possibility, as well as a learning disability that he was able to compensate for until now (ADHD children are more likely to have a LD).

I don't know what other medications you've tried but a patch may not be the best for one reluctant to take medication; and I wouldn't stick with a medication that increases aggressiveness. Psychiatrists often don't do counciling and refer elsewhere for that.

I read these books last summer and think they might be helpful to you:

Genius!: Nurturing the Spirit of the Wild, Odd, And Oppositional Child by George T. Lynn

Raising a Self-Disciplined Child: Help Your Child Become More Responsible, Confident, and Resilient by Dr. Robert Brooks and Sam Goldstein
Old 05-15-12, 06:53 PM

nharkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayers1995 View Post
One of my 14 yr old twins is out of control. I am just at my wits end and ready to send him somewhere that can help him. He isn't caring about school, isnt caring about his bad decisions like cutting class and getting a ticket for it, cursing... Now I just found out he was smoking at his bus stop this morning.

He's already grounded until we go to court for the ticket. What else do I do? I'm so sick of trying to get him to give a ****! I mean I'm looking at the possibility of this kid being in jail. He's had the cops called on him for shooting air soft guns at people, throwing rocks at neighbors house, slinging mud on someones door.

Omg!
You mention that he is a twin. Is the other twin okay, and are they identical? I have a pair of identical grandsons that are about to be 14. Without ADHD they are still an incredible handful--back each other up and play off each other. I am sure ADHD and teens are pure hell, but wondered what the twin relationship might be contributing.