ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-12, 03:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,403 Posts
Peripheral has disabled reputation
Re: AD(H)D and high IQ: What could be the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
This question has baffled me for a long time. Often I hear that the things that should cause ADHD are the same that should cause lowered IQ. Yet, I also hear that people with AD(H)D can span the entire IQ spectrum (I haven't seen evidence that the spectrum is just the same as non-AD(H)D, but I know that it's a fact that AD(H)D symptoms can co-occur with very high IQ, and doesn't necessarily). There is of course a strong lay belief that those with especially high IQ cannot have AD(H)D. I understand the average person might think this way because both factors are strongly correlated with success at work/school (or lack thereof), but from my perspective, the reason I find it baffling is because what I've read so far suggests that the causes should be the same.

What could be the cause of AD(H)D co-occurring with an especially high IQ (top 1% or higher)? Any ideas, or has there been any research on this group of individuals? Or ADHD and IQ in general?

People in general are very diverse.

The complexity of humans and life on earth,

allows for many different options and situations,

to develop and to use many individually unique talents (gifts).

Neural Pruning (in all humans),

early in life has a great impact on what each individual interests and talents might be in the future.

In early life neurologically the brain is given way more than it needs,

and neurological parts that are used are strengthened.

While the "unused" parts don't develop.

This does not mean they can't develop and strengthen parts in the future,

only that the process is much easier and more efficient earlier in life than later in life.

I am not big on the results of tests because one of the natures of ADHD is not to be able to focus when doing these tests.

The test is not accurate except that it points out that I find it hard to focus.

Its kind of like asking a person with a seeing impairment to read a book out loud that is not in braille.

Then giving the same person a test on what they read.(also not in braille)

The tests are not made for me to be able to get an accurate idea of my true capabilities.

ADHD or not,

people don't all learn in the same manner.

I don't think these tests are set up to recognize this fact and therefore are sometimes inaccurate.

ADHD can be situational to certain degree,

meaning that in some atmosphere I am capable of excelling and other atmosphere I am not so capable.

Stresses in and out of my home life,

who and how many people are present,

the form of media and the way information is presented,

the amount of exercise and proper nutrition,

the length and exposure to daylight,

and many other issues/distractions plays a big part in my thinking.

I still find the same criticism with the emotional IQ tests as the normal IQ tests,

but I do think that looking at the idea of emotional IQ,

probably would give a better understanding of what impairs the ADHDer.

I have always had the same general thoughts,

information and ideas in general "floating around my noggin".

Expressing ,

discussing "themes" to the other public is the issue.

In depth communications with people who do not have and don't understand the lack of self regulation.

Leaves missing "gaps of perception",

from both the ADHDer point of view and the interpretation of the other person in the conversation.

The thoughts,

ideas,

and opinions are all still there.

But the communication and connection is sometimes not.

Is like having a discussion with a hearing impaired person with there back turned to me,

in a crowd 50 feet part.

There is also the level of emotional issues that might be part of the discussion.

I have been told many times I care to much and sometimes I am to serious,

which I can be,

but I can also swing the other way and be a complete clown.

(I am not including accommodation of environment or treatment in this discussion)

How the brain is "firing" definitely affects our performance.

I do think that the sensitive nature of the ADHDer,

forces ADHDers to see situations in a different light,

which in turn,

turns into what some people think is a gift.

Which gives "people" the impression that we are higher in intelligence.

Maybe a better word would "creative".

ADHDers can be very funny and creative in many ways.

Appearing to be intelligent is not something an ADHDers in general,

can participate in,

in my opinion.

Everyone knows how important the "appearance" of first impressions can be.

Quick witted I am not.(and have learned from experience not to even try)(this post is taking me almost three hours to write)

This is been the best advice I have ever given myself,

not to try to be something I am not.

What "non aware" people don't see,

is the competing ideas/thoughts that cause us to interrupt or forget what where talking about.

they don't feel the distractions,

the inattentiveness (why and when we daydream)

the hyperactivity,( when it is impossible to relax)

the hyperreactivity (when we are "unstable")

the hypersensitivity (when we feel and notice everything)

the lack of motivation (when we appear lazy,)

the lack of inhibition (that can make us appear weird/strange/funny/rude,)

the anxiety,(when we do something we are not accustom to)

the depression,(when we spend some energy and have little accomplished)

the ODD,(when we no longer trust someone who forces to do things there way because they don't understand my way)

the addictive nature (maybe a better way to put it is a lack of stimulation.)

and the many other comorbid issues etc.

Most of all they don't see emotional pain form all of the above.

Coping daily with all of these issues (and more I have probably forgot),

expends a lot of our personal energy trying to deal.

This all takes a high level of intelligence to live with everyday.

I was born with slightly more hyperreactive (hypersensitive) emotional, homeostatic, and sensory unconditioned instinctual feelings.

Last edited by Peripheral; 05-05-12 at 04:12 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peripheral For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-05-12), SB_UK (05-06-12), TryingTracy (05-05-12), Unmanagable (05-15-12)
Old 05-05-12, 07:03 PM

Thanked 6,224 Times in 3,057 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimoo Back-Y-Rita View Post
I am not big on the results of tests because one of the natures of ADHD is not to be able to focus when doing these tests. The test is not accurate except that it points out that I find it hard to focus.

It actually works both ways, in some instances a person with ADHD will perform at a higher level on certain aspects of the test than they would in the world, because they are in a distraction free enviroment. That's one reason why false negatives happen with nueropsych evals.

Quote:
ADHD can be situational to certain degree,meaning that in some atmosphere I am capable of excelling and other atmosphere I am not so capable...

and many other issues/distractions plays a big part in my thinking...

The things you mention all affect people without ADHD as well. I would say "performance" is situational for everyone, and the factors you mention will impact everyone's results. Testing does generally take this all into account. Any person can take an IQ test on a good day and a bad day and get differing results. But the results will only vary by a given amount. A score on an IQ test is not set in stone, but it's a pretty good indicator of where you would usually test.

Everyone has areas in which they don't excel, and everyone has areas in which they do. That's why with IQ tests you don't just look at the overall percentile number, you look at each area individually. IQ tests are indeed designed to look at multiple types of intelligence.

I agree that IQ tests do only look at certain things, and that the very concept of intelligence is a bit murky. But they are pretty good at evaluating the specific things they claim to evaluate, like spatial reasoning.

Someone who can't read a map or pack a moving van is going to perform poorly on the spatial reasoning portion. Someone who does those things well will perform well on that part of the test. It's safe to say that spatial ability is a form of intelligence, and the wechsler test is very good at evaluating one's spatial reasoning ability in comparison to the rest of the population.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-06-12), pechemignonne (05-05-12)
Old 05-05-12, 07:37 PM

[quote=ana futura;1296791]

Quote:
The things you mention all affect people without ADHD as well.
I agree 100%,

The reaction is not the same in all people.

Do you have ADHD?

EDIT: Sorry if I am being rude, no intention.

I was born with slightly more hyperreactive (hypersensitive) emotional, homeostatic, and sensory unconditioned instinctual feelings.

Last edited by Peripheral; 05-05-12 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: appologies
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-12, 10:53 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,889 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you have ADHD?
She might... but she'd probably forget where she put it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-05-12)
Old 05-05-12, 11:06 PM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you have ADHD?

Yes I have ADHD, but I think I might perform better in testing environments than in the real world. I thrive in an environment without distractions, and academic situations don't stress me out (except for homework) My ADHD had a noteable impact on some parts of my Wechsler score, but not at all on others.

Put me in an occupational environment, and I get very stressed. I respond to observation poorly. If you tested me in an environment like that, I would probably not do very well.

I hope I didn't imply that IQ tests are "good" or 100% objective, I just wanted to point out that they are fairly accurate measures of the types of intelligence they claim to assess. There are definitely still flaws even though cultural and economic biases are better controlled for than they used to be.

Like you said, the real problem lies in thinking that intelligence is this static, fixed, well-defined thing, and that a single number is capable of accurately representing that thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (05-06-12), Unmanagable (05-15-12)
Old 05-05-12, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
She might... but she'd probably forget where she put it.
I was supposed to put it away somewhere safe, like in the middle pile on the kitchen table. Then I decided to deal with it later, but now I have to pay late fees on it.
Old 05-06-12, 12:24 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,889 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I was supposed to put it away somewhere safe, like in the middle pile on the kitchen table. Then I decided to deal with it later, but now I have to pay late fees on it.
Did you check the refrigerator? I left my wallet there once...
Old 05-06-12, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
Did you check the refrigerator? I left my wallet there once...
I like to keep my keys in the trash can, and put my trash on the shelf. That's how I roll.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Retromancer (05-06-12)
Old 05-06-12, 09:36 AM

Thanked 16,789 Times in 7,590 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Geronimoo Back-Y-Rita;1296803]
Quote:

I agree 100%,

The reaction is not the same in all people.

Do you have ADHD?

EDIT: Sorry if I am being rude, no intention.
Youre not rude at all GBYR... not at all.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (05-15-12)
Old 05-06-12, 03:42 PM

Thanked 5,917 Times in 4,291 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

GBYR's post is spot on.
Deep insight into what it is like to be Attention-surfeit.

Annotated in this [colour]

Quote:
People in general are very diverse.

The complexity of humans and life on earth,

allows for many different options and situations,

to develop and to use many individually unique talents (gifts).

Neural Pruning (in all humans),

early in life has a great impact on what each individual interests and talents might be in the future.

In early life neurologically the brain is given way more than it needs,

and neurological parts that are used are strengthened.

While the "unused" parts don't develop.

This does not mean they can't develop and strengthen parts in the future,

only that the process is much easier and more efficient earlier in life than later in life.

I am not big on the results of tests because one of the natures of ADHD is not to be able to focus when doing these tests.
[Exactly - I did really well on these tests when I was interested in doing well (when young) and poorer, as soon as I realised that these IQ tests were nonsense - and so consequently lost the motivation to try; appeared unable to focus/concentrate/pay attention.]
The test is not accurate except that it points out that I find it hard to focus.
[EXACTLY]
Its kind of like asking a person with a seeing impairment to read a book out loud that is not in braille.

Then giving the same person a test on what they read.(also not in braille)

The tests are not made for me to be able to get an accurate idea of my true capabilities.

ADHD or not,

people don't all learn in the same manner.

I don't think these tests are set up to recognize this fact and therefore are sometimes inaccurate.

ADHD can be situational to certain degree,
[Definitely so - stress related]
meaning that in some atmosphere I am capable of excelling and other atmosphere I am not so capable.

[Exactly so - it should though be noted that stress enters when performing tasks which others do not feel stressed undertaking - the important point is that the structure of mind which the ADDer looks out through is more complex - and so we 'see' more than the nonADDer - meaning, since much of what we see isn't very nice - that we become more easily stressed; to my mind anybody who makes/enjoys money is immoral - the very thought of making/enjoying money is abhorrent - imagine how terrible life is in a world in which pretty much every person I see around me - is striving to do their neighbour down for money - ever more money
- much more money than they need; the very same money which others need (and do not have) for the most basal level of survival.]

[Exercise, nutrition and sun exposure are the first 3 environmental factors I'd list; 10 years ago when I started here - I wouldn't have listed them as being anything more than generally considered common sense aspects of a healthy life - I'm now at a point though where, if offered, I'd be happy with nothing (ABSOLUTELY NOTHING) more than these three - of aerobic exercise (the zone), ketogenic nutrition (not feeling hungry) and sun (something remarkable about the sun - over the last couple of years it ??? activates ??? something within my head - a particularly happy place)].
and many other issues/distractions plays a big part in my thinking.

I still find the same criticism with the emotional IQ tests as the normal IQ tests,
[Interesting that they've tried to formalize the IQ and EQ - which represent the male and female archetypes of mind - of autism (IQ) and schizophrenia (EQ) (Empathy) - beyond the interest level of them having tried - there isn't any real way to test these aspects of mind - and the formal IQ and EQ tests certainly don't achieve that.
I like to add that we've a society which is based around IQ and which grossly devalues EQ (female archetype),
The 'type' which is valued most in our current world - is the autistic type - the uncommunicative geek - the kid who can program the video recorder; whereas - for the survival of the species - the type we need is the balance between male and female archetypes
- the individual who can explain logically AND clearly (ie can communicate) what and why we need to do - in the interests of the species, taken as a whole.]

but I do think that looking at the idea of emotional IQ,

probably would give a better understanding of what impairs the ADHDer.
[Personally - I will not write anything that I do not believe will be useful to you; out there in society - people 'speak'
drone on incessantly - just to be heard.
People who want to be heard - regardless of the nonsense they speak; it's as though they feel they're more important if people listen to them - but this is not the ADDer way
- there has to be information content which we can 'see' our communicating partner desires
- as GBYR states we 'read' mind - though not in a 'woo!' sense
- simply do it, because that's the way we do it.]

I have always had the same general thoughts,

information and ideas in general "floating around my noggin".

Expressing ,

discussing "themes" to the other public is the issue.

In depth communications with people who do not have and don't understand the lack of self regulation.

Leaves missing "gaps of perception",

from both the ADHDer point of view and the interpretation of the other person in the conversation.
[sentence above, I think is the same point I've just made (above)]
The thoughts,

ideas,

and opinions are all still there.

But the communication and connection is sometimes not.
[<- Good stuff - exactly]
Is like having a discussion with a hearing impaired person with there back turned to me,
[<- That's exactly it - the difference between an individual who wants to communicate and another who simply wants to have an audience whilst he opens his mouth - the ADDer (communicating sense) and the nonADDer (not actually trying to communicate).]
in a crowd 50 feet part.

There is also the level of emotional issues that might be part of the discussion.

I have been told many times I care to much and sometimes I am to serious,

which I can be,

but I can also swing the other way and be a complete clown.
[To know what's important - which is to stop people who hurt other people for their complete immersion within the delusion
- at which point we'll all be free to behave as though nothing's important - which nothing then will be - at least in the sense of any aspect of the materialist delusion which occupies the deluded's every second of waking life, currently.]

(I am not including accommodation of environment or treatment in this discussion)

I do think that the sensitive nature of the ADHDer,

forces ADHDers to see situations in a different light,
[This relates to the 'see' in the section above; the structure of our mind is more complex - we 'see' more - we see situations in a different light - see all different perspectives simultaneously - our attention deficit is attention surfeit - as Barliman writes 'what we attend to is our reality' - meaning that the more complex structure of mind through which we 'see' - results in an attentional surfeit not deficit - which appears as a deficit because there's "more" to see - "more" to see which catches our mind's eye.
NonADDer with 1 route between A and B will make it from A to B quicker than ADDer with 1000 routes between A and B
- eventually - the ADDer will define the best route
- the key word though is 'eventually'
- we take longer to build our mind better (See 3 year developmental dealy in ADDer children).]

which in turn,

turns into what some people think is a gift.
[Exactly - the more complex mind results in us "seeing" more through our mind's eye - leads to the capacity to make intuitive creative leaps - which feel perfectly ordinary to us - maybe not so to others - but we're imprisoned by our own mind - and so cannot see why whatever we 'see' easily is surprising to another - we're simply using our mind.]
Which gives "people" the impression that we are higher in intelligence.
[Yes]
Maybe a better word would "creative".
[Perfectly stated - 'creative leaps' from above.]
ADHDers can be very funny and creative in many ways.
[Yes - but ultimately we're best placed to putting a bullet to mind - the human mind is rather irritating - kinda' self-evident - the facility to question why? everything - so most of us realise - will lead nowhere - the only solution to the question why? everything
- is to transcend mind in such a way - that the individual is happy not caring - is happy enough in the transcendental state to no longer care about why? (everything) - and ... just ... to 'get' on with it (life in the sun - in GBYR's avatar).]

Appearing to be intelligent is not something an ADHDers in general,

can participate in,

in my opinion.
[Exactly - as described in the section above - the ADDer insight is natural - we can't take the credit for 'seeing' more - when it happens without effort - is just so effortlessly achieved and is 'us' - we can't see what the 'big deal' is about creative insights
- it's not much more different than comparing a nonADDer with myopia and an ADDer with perfect sight - the nonADDer might be 'wowed' with our vision - but to us - it's simply the only state we've ever known - perhaps if we could (which we can't) switch between myopia and perfect sight - then we might understand better - the idea of the particular increased intelligence/creativity in ADDer (potentially) -
- but we can't -
not entirely sure - developmentally we (ss mind builds) shift through myopia gradually into sightednes - but the transition doesn't appear to be sufficiently well defined for us to divine the change.]

Everyone knows how important the "appearance" of first impressions can be.

Quick witted I am not.(and have learned from experience not to even try)(this post is taking me almost three hours to write)
[If there are 1000 routes between A and B - rather than 1 - then it's inevitable that this increased complexity will have 'slow' us down - 'quick witted' is for those who have no mind.]
This is been the best advice I have ever given myself,

not to try to be something I am not.

What "non aware" people don't see,
[Great choice of words - betraying the difference of minds between nonADDer and ADDer - nonADDer = non-aware - they just don't see - we see too much - everything, in fact at once - simultaneously
- this is precisely what one would expect in a mind which is globally connected - globally connected and fully internally connected (entirely logically internally consistent with itself).]

is the competing ideas/thoughts that cause us to interrupt or forget what where talking about.
[Excellent stuff - exactly again - imagine how hard it is to answer how to get from A to B - if there are 1000 (and not just 1 in the nonADDer's mind) routes between the 2 places.]
they don't feel the distractions,
[Exactly - 1 route - the nonADDer trots out the 'stock' solution; not the only solution though - the 'funny' thing though is that when we consider all questions simultaneously - the solution, so it transpires - is how to deactivate the 'questioning' facility (to transcend mind); all routes lead to this destination - the mind isn't about arriving at answers - the mind is about achieving logical consistency - unlocking the door to allow us to step through into blissful/peaceful/unimpeded/unencumbered/calm existence.]
the inattentiveness (why and when we daydream)

the hyperactivity,( when it is impossible to relax)

the hyperreactivity (when we are "unstable")

the hypersensitivity (when we feel and notice everything)

the lack of motivation (when we appear lazy,)

the lack of inhibition (that can make us appear weird/strange/funny/rude,)

the anxiety,(when we do something we are not accustom to)

the depression,(when we spend some energy and have little accomplished)

the ODD,(when we no longer trust someone who forces to do things there way because they don't understand my way)

the addictive nature (maybe a better way to put it is a lack of stimulation.)

and the many other comorbid issues etc.
[Good list of ADDer attributes - they all though go away in an environment of aerobic exercise, ketogenic diet and sun
- in which we're allowed to offload mind and live in the transcendental state; the linear questioning mind is your enemy - funny though that might seem; our job is to put a bullet in mind.]

Most of all they don't see emotional pain form all of the above.
[Need to have eyes to see (a structure of mind which can see)]
Coping daily with all of these issues (and more I have probably forgot),

expends a lot of our personal energy trying to deal.
[Exactly - we'll most likely see that we're exhausted in social situations - every single sentence triggering 1000 tangents - with fast firing sentence after sentence in real-time conversations -
is tiring - truly tiring - actually wears us out.]

This all takes a high level of intelligence to live with everyday.
[Certainly - to work out a method of avoidance of the fatigue; the comedy , here, though - is that the actual intelligence which ADDer's possess is aimed squarely at transcending itself; not the stereotype of the 'geek' type who talks an esoteric language (drones on) - wanting to be seen dronign on - wanting to be seen as being clever - wanting the titles and accolades etc
- the true intelligence of the ADDer - is aimed squarely at disconnecting mind - setting 'self' free by disconnecting the irritating human mind which doesn't simplify - complicates, ever complicates - more languages, more computing languages, more words, more more more administrative technical details - more useless words.]

IGNORE LIST BEING USED - 8 ENTRIES
T - 1 before communication becomes futile.
The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (05-15-12)
Old 05-06-12, 04:32 PM

SB_UK,

It has been a great pleasure to read your insight and guidance.

Thank You for strengthening the post.

Side Note: I really miss Barliman.

I think for some of the reasons you have stated above.

Example 1000 things.

I find it hard to go back and read previous threads.

I wish he was around so I could pick up his insight in real time.

GBYR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peripheral For This Useful Post:
SB_UK (05-06-12), Unmanagable (05-15-12)
Old 05-06-12, 08:44 PM
Jr Member

Nautilus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I like to keep my keys in the trash can, and put my trash on the shelf. That's how I roll.
My smoothest move so far was putting the bottle of ketchup in the dishwasher. Who knew "cleaning up after dinner" could be so challenging.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautilus For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-06-12)
Old 05-06-12, 08:49 PM

Thanked 17,448 Times in 7,287 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

OK, ladies and gents - let's get our keys out of the trash and our wallets out of the refrigerator and get back on topic. . .
ana futura (05-07-12), LynneC (05-10-12)
Old 05-10-12, 04:28 AM

js81pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
This question has baffled me for a long time. Often I hear that the things that should cause ADHD are the same that should cause lowered IQ. Yet, I also hear that people with AD(H)D can span the entire IQ spectrum (I haven't seen evidence that the spectrum is just the same as non-AD(H)D, but I know that it's a fact that AD(H)D symptoms can co-occur with very high IQ, and doesn't necessarily). There is of course a strong lay belief that those with especially high IQ cannot have AD(H)D. I understand the average person might think this way because both factors are strongly correlated with success at work/school (or lack thereof), but from my perspective, the reason I find it baffling is because what I've read so far suggests that the causes should be the same.

What could be the cause of AD(H)D co-occurring with an especially high IQ (top 1% or higher)? Any ideas, or has there been any research on this group of individuals? Or ADHD and IQ in general?
I had a hypothesis on this, it is that, a person with a higher IQ creates more thoughts. This provides increased mental items floating around and since there are too many thoughts going on in the brain, it shuts down and has sort of a meltdown because of the rule of 7 +-2 in which, we can only remember/process so much information (has to do with the prefrontal cortex I believe). THere are studies as well that show when we have too many choices, we don't pick any. So, I have considered it is the high IQ that causes the ADD. Or, dopamine just affects "IQ" and IQ is very biased. For me, when I take meds and feel "normal", it comes with downsides but comes with new upsides, that is just how evolution works, it is usually a give/take. The other thing to consider with ADD is it was supposedly advantageous in hunter gatherer societies. Nowadays, we need to sit still in class and absorb information in order to flourish in society. IMO - this is silly when some of us have much higher IQs than someone that has a degree and since a lot of degrees help those that have them rise above, even if that degree isn't used as intended which usually is the case, it really irritates me. The other thing is, those with higher dopamine also IMO tend to be more selfish and dominating in nature, even if they don't realize it. It seems that some of us ADDers actually care about the world because we see through the lies, BS and see the world in a much different, realistic way (at least I do) but we are oftentimes powerless to change it because of our condition and our less dominating nature.

My mind is always going... one thing I noticed with my ADD is that it is more of an in my head ADD. My grandmother said, "Jeff, I will clean the whole room in my head but just don't do it."; this is me to a T. With that said, it starts with lack of motivation, leads to procrastination, leads to increased anxiety, leads to absolute meltdown. But, of course, as one of you mentioned (didn't pay attention or care to go find the name, it is the ADD , there are sooo many factors that make us who we are. Dealing with this condition. I have become much more introspective because of it.

It is interesting because, when we are kids we can sit and absorb information a lot easier. Those with ADD are usually more defiant and want to do things their way or try new things to get the job done, forgetting that stepping back a few steps and learning new information to do a better job. Something my Doc said and I have also independently realized the same thing is that I process information very well. So in the classroom, new information comes in and I start processing and stop absorbing information. Maybe it is slow but I really can utilize information very well and draw connections and come up with wild ideas, sometimes good but oftentimes they are just far out there ideas but some of them are good, it is just hard to filter the good from the bad.

As for testosterone.... men are 4times more likely than women to have ADD. Interesting because testosterone and dopamine seem to rise together. Testosterone levels also seems to boost cognition AND memory (http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...one-and-memory). However, I have previously read that men are more creative when their testosterone levels wear off during the day (perhaps due to low dopamine) and that I believe the memory is sharper in the morning (high testosterone and hence high dopamine?). Something else to consider is that cholesterol either converts to testosterone or cortisol (stress hormone) and IMO, from personal experience, I am stressed out all of the time. I was thinking maybe I have low testosterone levels and therefore, low dopamine and increased cortisol/stress. Now, this is really off topic but it should warrant further investigation because I truly believe testosterone and possibly the cholesterol conversion to cortisol/testosterone and how it is handled by the body and converted to estrogen (yes, men have estrogen and there are two main types) should be investigated.

I have become more of a realist over the years. To some extent, I think I have always been somewhat like this. Interesting because optimists actually ignore negative facts to remain positive (I can provide a link if anyone wants it). So, being a realist IMO is intelligent but on the flip side, it doesn't make life enjoyable or easy to live in.

Last edited by js81pa; 05-10-12 at 04:57 AM..
Old 05-10-12, 01:21 PM

There are some really interesting ideas in there, things to think about. But I do want to point out that ADHD is in fact just as common in women as men, but that diagnoses is more common in boys than girls because ADHD is often less noticeable in girls.

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/20...n-and-a-d-h-d/

Just on a side note- I'm a woman, and pre diagnosis I often thought that I maybe had too much testosterone, and that my issues- anger, frustration, defiance and a lack of self awareness, were attributable to that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
js81pa (05-12-12)
Closed Thread