ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-12, 03:45 AM

mrh235 is on a distinguished road
Everything just seems to boring and really dull, is this because I have ADD?

some days everything just seems really boring and i dont know how else to describe it but "really under-stimulating" like everything is so repetitive, boring, and mundane that I have zero interest in it. This usually happens after I do like everything i'm supposed to. Before I got diagnosed and prescribed meds and stuff everything was just dull and boring ALWAYS and I couldnt focus on anything, now i can focus but after I do all of my responsibilities and stuff everything else is just so dumb and boring to me. I almost wish I had more work and more responsibilities. I dont know what's going on. Sometimes I just end up getting angry at everything because im so bored and frustrated like tonight after getting this i yelled at my girlfriend and hurt her feelings because I overthought her texts to me and the fact she wouldnt meet up with me (she's sick) and thought she was playing games with me.

help
Old 05-13-12, 04:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kirby Albee has disabled reputation
Re: Everything just seems to boring and really dull, is this because I have ADD?

I'm not advocating how you treat your girlfriend, but in general it's not you: ****'s really boring. I can't believe everyone else puts up with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kirby Albee For This Useful Post:
Ganjin (05-13-12)
Old 05-13-12, 07:22 AM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all
Re: Everything just seems to boring and really dull, is this because I have ADD?

::nodnod:: I'd like to rename ADHD as "The World Is Too Freaking Boring Disorder" (amongst other things).

I think some people have said that different medications affect their motivation in different ways, like making them more motivated to do thinks at work but not fun things after the workday's done. Maybe changing meds would help...?

Patch things up with your gf, eh? Just lay what happened out on the table & say you're sorry for how you acted.
Ganjin (05-13-12), sybil (05-16-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-12, 11:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I kind of got stuck on the part where you've done everything that you were supposed to do... I so rarely get everything done that I'm supposed to do.

Someone remind me by the way to call my doctor, I was supposed to do that last week... *merde*

A couple of other things actually relevant to your topic sort of stood out to me.

Is it possible that you are a little depressed also? Feeling like everything s*cks is a common symptom of depression, and depression is a common co-morbid of ADHD. Irritability (yelling at your girlfriend) can be another symptom of depression, especially for men, who tend to experience more anger than sadness with depression.

So, if you have a lot of other depression symptoms, it might be something to talk to your doctor about (that reminds me, I need to call my doctor).

Also, sometimes it can just be that you are just tired and overwhelmed by all the things that you have to do. When I have too much "have-to"s to do it can make me frustrated and grouchy, because then I have no energy left for fun things. Is it possible to take some responsibilities off your plate? Take a vacation?

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Ganjin (05-13-12)
Old 05-13-12, 12:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Albee View Post
I'm not advocating how you treat your girlfriend, but in general it's not you: ****'s really boring. I can't believe everyone else puts up with it.
I'm with Kirby on this one. I feel like I live the life of a worker bee, a drone whose responsibilities are simply an endless stream of mundane minutiae. Yet, to others it often appears like my life is somehow dreamy good. I would say that between 15 and 18 hours of my daily life is so boring and uninteresting that I can barely face it.

As pech mentioned, depression can be a big part of this as well. But in my experience, depression is often a byproduct of boredom rather than the other way around.

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

Old 05-13-12, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuregeek View Post
::nodnod:: I'd like to rename ADHD as "The World Is Too Freaking Boring Disorder" (amongst other things).

Yes! From now on I'm telling people that I suffer from TWITFBD. Or maybe we should go with something shorter, like just TFBD, with "The World" part simply understood?

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

The Following User Says Thank You to Ganjin For This Useful Post:
demuregeek (05-13-12)
Old 05-13-12, 01:19 PM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 902 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh235 View Post
some days everything just seems really boring and i dont know how else to describe it but "really under-stimulating" like everything is so repetitive, boring, and mundane that I have zero interest in it. This usually happens after I do like everything i'm supposed to. Before I got diagnosed and prescribed meds and stuff everything was just dull and boring ALWAYS and I couldnt focus on anything, now i can focus but after I do all of my responsibilities and stuff everything else is just so dumb and boring to me. I almost wish I had more work and more responsibilities. I dont know what's going on. Sometimes I just end up getting angry at everything because im so bored and frustrated like tonight after getting this i yelled at my girlfriend and hurt her feelings because I overthought her texts to me and the fact she wouldnt meet up with me (she's sick) and thought she was playing games with me.

help
Check out this red stuff that I copied\pasted, and go here for more stuff about dopamine and wanting:

Helen Phillips
The pleasure seekers
New Scientist, 11 October 2003
"At first glance, the "reward centre" idea seems hard to fault. The self-stimulation experiments, beginning with rats in the 1950s and followed by the human experiments in the 1960s, seemed perfectly clear. Modern brain-imaging studies have confirmed that the centre works overtime whenever you're enjoying something, whether it's sex or chocolate, drugs or music. And chemical analysis shows that, whatever your pleasure, dopamine fuels the circuit. "Dopamine was the pleasure transmitter," says Berridge. "The evidence seemed so strong. If you shut down dopamine signalling by giving a drug that blocks dopamine receptors, you dilute the reward value of everything." So why did he and others begin to question the status quo?

Berridge reckons that his doubts began to creep in around the late 1980s, with a few surprise results. He'd found that he could watch rats' facial expressions to judge their reactions to certain tastes. Believe it or not, rats actually look pleased when given sweet things to taste, and produce the rat equivalent of a disgusted look in response to bitterness. The assumption was that these expressions were of pleasure or displeasure, mediated by the reward centre. The surprise came when Berridge blocked the dopamine signal with drugs. In theory, with dopamine knocked out there was now no way for the rats to sense the reward value of the sweetness, so he was expecting not to see any "pleased" expressions. But the rats seemed just as expressive as ever.
Putting it down to experimental error, Berridge tried a more foolproof test. He used rats in which dopamine-producing cells had been wiped out with a neurotoxin. It was already known that these animals simply stopped eating. "They would voluntarily starve to death if the experimenter didn't intervene and feed them," says Berridge. Researchers had always thought that the rats' lack of dopamine meant they didn't like food. But when Berridge force-fed them with sweet and bitter liquids, their facial reactions were normal. "They still showed the proper positive face to sugar and the proper negative face to quinine," he says. "It looked like their reaction to pleasure was normal even though their dopamine was gone."
What was going on? The experiments prompted Berridge to look back at Heath's brain electrode results. He was struck this time by what feelings the subjects reported. They all said they felt good, and always pleaded for more when the controls were taken away. But was it pleasure? The reports mentioned feelings of alertness, warmth and goodwill, arousal, a desire to masturbate, or to drink even though they weren't thirsty. It sounded more like desire than pleasure. This fitted perfectly with Berridge's rats. Even with no activity in the reward area, they seemed to "like" the taste of sweet food. They just didn't "want" it. Could the dopamine system be a desire circuit that mediates our feelings of wanting something, rather than a pleasure centre that supplies our feelings of liking?
Although it was Berridge who drew attention to the distinction between wanting and liking, he is by no means the only researcher to realise that "pleasure" is not quite the right term to attach to activity in the dopamine system. If people are given drugs that block or stimulate dopamine release, it doesn't alter how much they report liking certain tastes. What that suggests is that the dopamine system itself doesn't produce feelings of pleasure, says Panksepp. "The dopamine system is about motivation and seeking. It gives a generalised desire or urge, an eagerness to engage with the world."
markadd (05-13-12)
Old 05-16-12, 12:18 AM
Contributor

sybil will become famous soon enough

Yes, I do think the world can be excruciatingly boring! I feel for anyone who gets bored easily and often. It is not an easy thing to deal with, at all! Some of us have perhaps had depression from extreme boredom. I often wonder what it would be like to have a "normal" person's boring experience vs. our own. I am just assuming it would be much easier to deal with because I don't know many who can relate to my extremes of boredom except for people on these ADD forums.
Old 05-16-12, 05:35 AM

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,885 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I get down when I can't be creative, or when my creation doesn't turn out the way I plan. But when it does - FLOOD OF DOPAMINE! Probably not a good thing but it feels good.

For starters I think you need to elaborate on what is boring. Boredom for me is when I don't know what to do. Boredom is forcing myself to listen, read, watch, take part in those things I'm not interested in. Boredom is having to wait a very long time for a reward.

I actually get quite bored and restless when I don't have enough to do, even on medication. You just got to do more. How can you be bored with a girlfriend? I was overwhelmed with a boyfriend. I'm only bored around people when I have no interest in what they talk about, so I bring up my own conversation topics.

Do you have hobbies? When I find I've got nothing to do on goes the sci-fi shows.

The world is what you make it.

Although if it is depression then you probably need more help than just a pep talk.