ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 05-18-12, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

syrella will become famous soon enough
Re: Socializing - I don't get it

I tend to just shush up when anxious. I have gone motormouth mode a few times and I've usually regret doing that because I tend to say really weird and dumb things. I think it's better to say less sometimes and have people wonder than to drive people away by weirdness. That's just me and how I cope, though...
kristo (07-01-12)
Old 05-26-12, 12:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

kuhan1923 has a spectacular aura aboutkuhan1923 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Socializing - I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Many people become increasingly anxious when there are long pauses in the conversation. In order to avoid the anxiety they fill the space with more idle chatter.
Qft.

Even i do this when im walking with a girl to avoid that "awkward" feeling. It takes sooooo much damn energy tho :/ I wish people would just be okay with walking and not chatting at all sometimes.

"It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's
greatest lie."
Old 06-03-12, 12:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ipsofacto has a spectacular aura aboutIpsofacto has a spectacular aura about

I have trouble with the boring topics of conversation at social events. I'm not interested in pick up trucks, fishing, hunting, football, nascar, baseball etc. As 90% of conversation is about these topics, it's impossible to join in.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-12, 06:25 PM

gaucho15 is on a distinguished road

OMG, I thought I was just socially awkward and shy. I can be talkative and I like intense conversation, which is probably why it's so hard for me to make friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaucho15 For This Useful Post:
kristo (07-01-12)
Old 06-04-12, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,984 Times in 2,083 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

blurting things out and being innapropriate can get me in some sticky situations...guys think im coming on to them when im hyper and start trying to make moves on me an im like wooaaahhhh hold on a damn second im just really bubbly...i have to try and keep friends that understand my affliction
'I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling. - Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

Go Raiders !!!
Old 06-04-12, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,496 Times in 3,874 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like being around people unless I'm medicated or during a very short window where I actually give a damn. I get bored pretty quickly and boredom turns into either anger or fantasizing.

It's not that the topics are boring but some are just hard to relate to. I always try to slide in a few topics that I know a lot about and I'll be fine to just be quiet the rest of the time.

I find it hard to relate to any humans anyway, even the weird ones like me.
Old 06-04-12, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

quark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
Dopamine. Sharing experiences and connecting with people is stimulating and rewarding.
This can be true, but often I find the activation energy to go and join a conversation to be insurmountable.
Old 06-04-12, 11:46 PM

Ragnar will become famous soon enough

There was a time when my ego was weak and I longed for social interaction and connection, but only for the sake of others' approval and the temporary fulfillment of my socially-programmed need for acceptance.

I eventually became self-aware enough to notice this pattern and, as a result, I over-compensated. I spent the next few years systematically 'rewiring' myself to be emotionally and mentally self-sufficient. As an unintentional side-effect, I started to spend less and less time with people and eventually found that I had completely isolated myself. I had reached my goal of being completely indifferent to and unaffected by others.

After about a year of this behavior, I began to find myself longing for social interaction once again. However, this time was different. Before, I needed the interaction to maintain my self-esteem. Now, I wanted the interaction purely for its own sake.

Social interaction is so much more rewarding when you have disconnected it from your self-esteem and psychological well-being. You will find yourself being fully accepting and completely understanding of other people, and they will notice it. It's an amazing thing to hear people truly communicating with you when they realize that there are no pretenses.
Old 06-27-12, 04:52 AM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
There was a time when my ego was weak and I longed for social interaction and connection, but only for the sake of others' approval and the temporary fulfillment of my socially-programmed need for acceptance.

I eventually became self-aware enough to notice this pattern and, as a result, I over-compensated. I spent the next few years systematically 'rewiring' myself to be emotionally and mentally self-sufficient. As an unintentional side-effect, I started to spend less and less time with people and eventually found that I had completely isolated myself. I had reached my goal of being completely indifferent to and unaffected by others.

After about a year of this behavior, I began to find myself longing for social interaction once again. However, this time was different. Before, I needed the interaction to maintain my self-esteem. Now, I wanted the interaction purely for its own sake.

Social interaction is so much more rewarding when you have disconnected it from your self-esteem and psychological well-being. You will find yourself being fully accepting and completely understanding of other people, and they will notice it. It's an amazing thing to hear people truly communicating with you when they realize that there are no pretenses.
Interesting, good advice.
Old 06-27-12, 06:43 AM

MikhailTal will become famous soon enough

I don't get it either. However, I'm just getting myself together after suffering from social anxiety for a few years, which I developed in high school. I'm now at the point where I feel much less anxiety towards people than I did before, I often just don't have interest in other people, or the need to share things. I feel like a blank sheet of paper, with nothing on my mind or nothing happening in my life that's worth sharing, simply because I'm very inactive. I often don't read the news for days.

When I've had some alcohol, my ability to enjoy socializing dramatically improves. When I'm getting more and more drunk, I gruadually become someone else and I can ask someone something like "how was your day" with sincere interest, but when I'm sober I have to push the words out of my lungs like I'm carrying bricks while climbing a ladder.

Then there are the practical problems caused by ADD-I that hinder my ability to socialize, of course it's harder for me to speak clearly and express what I feel because of concentration and working memory problems.

This all wouldn't be a problem when I'd be content with being alone a lot, but I'm not. I feel like a social person who feels lonely quickly without the means to be social.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikhailTal For This Useful Post:
kristo (07-01-12)