ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-11, 10:00 AM

Spaced_In will become famous soon enough
auditory processing disorder

hey, so my mum thinks that i have auditory processing disoder and i think i might have. Does anyone know much bout APD? I have trouble understanding people when they talk and sometimes miss parts of conversation, i also kmow that some symptoms of APD overlap with ADHD
Old 10-09-11, 10:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,039 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auditory processing disorder

I'm not sure I know all the ins and outs of it, but I know very well I have it.

I cannot 'hear' directions. Verbally communicated directions are a completely lost cause I have to have them written down.

Also, I have no ability to listen to a lecture and there are times even when someone is saying something very interesting I can't keep my attention even tho I WANT to very much.

I do know that it is something you can be tested for.
Fortune (10-10-11), Lisa_Mac (10-18-12), namazu (10-10-11)
Old 10-09-11, 11:43 AM

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,493 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

What Ginniebean said. I'm positive that I have it! I'm often accused of not listening, but in reality I am trying so hard! I can't pick out many song lyrics too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
Lisa_Mac (10-18-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 01:09 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 8,401 Times in 3,769 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

There are some good articles on auditory processing deficits (including central auditory processing disorder) at LDOnline (a non-profit project sponsored by the U.S. National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities and produced by a public radio station in Washington, D.C.).

I recommend the "Top Articles" and "Questions + Answers" sections -- if you click "see all 17 articles" and "see all Q+A" you'll get more than you can see just on the page I linked. Many of the articles are geared towards parents and teachers, but they're still worth reading for the description of the issues, and also because some of the tips and tricks and accommodations can be adapted to adult situations.

They cover visual processing deficits on the page I linked, too -- maybe not so relevant to you, but I mention it in case others land on this thread and it may be useful to them.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (05-18-12), Fortune (10-10-11), ginniebean (05-17-12), NorCalAndy8 (10-10-11), Ophelia7 (10-15-11), Reekwind (09-22-13), Spaced_In (10-10-11), Unmanagable (10-10-11)
Old 11-03-11, 03:32 AM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone else find it can (but not necessarily) depend on the subject? If I'm unfamiliar with the subject I more often miss words or have a delay in processing them. Also it varies from person to person, some people can understand quite well most of the time some not so much. Also, people with accents of course screw me over. All this basically look like or maybe I have become a social phobic. But it's not irrational unlike most with social phobia because the thing happens consistently, I'm very often uncertain what someone said even if I say "what" constantly.
Old 03-03-12, 11:40 PM

steveman is on a distinguished road

sbcy, what you said about not hearing what someone said to you even though you said "what" a few times totally resonates with me. Its a very embarassing situation to have to ask reapetedly, and then when you still don't get it you just give up. Sometimes I blame myself for not asking a fourth time, but wtvr. I miss words a lot and sometimes I feel like what I just heard sticks in my mind for some time before I begin to unravel its meaning. Also, when different people are talking at the same time or rapidly one after another I tend to miss a lot of the action, as well as processing it slowly so that I cant really be involved...
Old 05-17-12, 01:19 PM
Contributor

sbcy has a spectacular aura aboutsbcy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveman View Post
Sometimes I blame myself for not asking a fourth time, but wtvr. I miss words a lot and sometimes I feel like what I just heard sticks in my mind for some time before I begin to unravel its meaning. Also, when different people are talking at the same time or rapidly one after another I tend to miss a lot of the action, as well as processing it slowly so that I cant really be involved...
YES, me too!
Old 05-17-12, 02:28 PM

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,493 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

I find that watching movies with the subtitles on helps me out a lot, btw.
Old 05-23-12, 06:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

syrella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
I find that watching movies with the subtitles on helps me out a lot, btw.
Oh! I do that too. Reading the text can be very helpful. I always ask people to write down instructions for me so that I can refer to them later... Otherwise I will need to have it repeated several time and even then it's not guaranteed that I'll understand.
Old 05-23-12, 07:13 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,886 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer subtitles of foreign movies/anime over the dubbed versions... I wonder if this was the underlying reason for that preference.

I also wonder if that is why I tend to get bored watching most movies; I'll have to try the subtitles.
Old 05-23-12, 08:04 PM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

I never gave my hearing problems a second thought (too many other problems) until in a college computer programming class. My teacher had a strong accent having immigrated from Peru 10 yrs earlier. My head would spin out of of control as I tried to tell if he said "a" or "8" or "h" and so on... Programs don't run so well with all the errors my hearing was causing me to make. I was stunned that my other 20 classmates could understand him, easily!

The end result being I had to get a diagnosis to avoid paying for a class I couldn't understand. Finding out abt APD was such a relief! Mainly bc now I can say "can you please repeat that? I have a hearing problem." Less worry that people might think I wasn't paying attention to them or appearing rude.

I love that APD gives me all these silly interpretations of other speech. "Elephants swing with slobber" was what I heard recently, no clue what the person actually said! A welcome silliness in my life.
Old 05-23-12, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,529 Times in 3,010 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm betting it's another one of those spectrum disorcers in which caswe I'd have to say I very well might have it ....sxorta in the middle, I have been known to actually listen and understand stuff.....but it doesn't stick around in my brain very well......

I took an astronomy class in Junior college, and never felt so stupid in all my born days .....I would try to read the text, and it might has well been in Swahili......but when the teacher taught, I got it ( well, most of the time) ....then back to the book and it was Swahili again ......

but directions anywhere ? ....gotta be written down, I WILL forget parts of it otherwise ......

My ex was dyslexic, so he learned by listening ....and he would try to tell me something, ( an there WOULD be a test will him ) ...and I would try to tell him I didn't understand what he was talking about , and he would glare and say ..."if you would just listen......" .....

....that's when I figured that I didn't learn by listening .....

I think it has a lot to do with learning styles too .....

listening, reading or kinesthetic ( touch) .....

I am mostly a learner by doing ...(touch)

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 07-14-13, 02:03 AM

Optimus3k is on a distinguished road

I just found out about APD today, and I'm not sure whether to cry or breathe a sigh of relief. I just thought I was socially awkward, not that I might actually have a problem.

I work in a noisy environment, and I'm constantly asking people to repeat what they said. After the third or fourth "what?", I just give up.

Song lyrics are a big problem with me, but I like to sing. I have a tendency to buy an album and listen to each song over and over until I've memorized the lyrics, but it takes me a long time to get it right.

Strangely, I prefer learning by lecture. I can't quite explain that. If the subject interests me, I don't seem to have any problems, which always led me to believe it was an issue with attention.

I often mishear what people are saying, but it seems to be off by only a letter or two, which makes for some shocking conversations sometimes.

I will have to think about what someone has said before I fully understand it, which often leads to long pauses before I either reply or ask them to repeat what they said.

The most disturbing thing to me, though, and what got me to finally look this up, is that sometimes I can't process language at all. Yesterday, I was leaving a parking garage and I walked past a couple of guys headed the other way. Nothing they said made sense, like it was a language, but nothing I'd ever heard before. Complete gibberish, and I wasn't even three feet away from them. This happens to me a lot, and it freaks me out every time, but I've never said anything to anyone about it because I was afraid they would just dismiss it as me being strange, or paranoid, or not paying attention, but just like at work, I am straining to hear them, and I don't understand anything.

I've turned up some possible causes in my research so far which might help some of you who don't believe your apd is add related. The men in my family have a history of recurring ear infections. Apparently, these repeated infections can cause damage to the middle ear, resulting in apd. Also, when I was born, the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck, which may have depleted my brain of oxygen at birth.

Some of your posts have really hit home with me, and I'd like you to know that they're appreciated. I'm going to seek a diagnosis in the near future, and I'm finally going to tell my family what I've been dealing with all these years. Thank you so much.
Old 07-19-13, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Illumination has a spectacular aura aboutIllumination has a spectacular aura about

I have undx'd apd, and in addition to the other info u have all shared (which I totally relate to, I am def into subtitles!) I also get sensory overload from sound where the volume of everything around me sounds like it is at triple volume. If I'm stressed, or in a loud environment for more than an hour, the volume amplifies. The only way to defuse the amplification back to normal levels, is silence. Awkward

On a helpful note, auditory processing programs such as The Listening Program work for APD and significantly increased my ability to discern words being spoken (within 5-6 weeks with the bone conduction headset), but sadly it equally aggravated my SPD.

The Listening Program (and Fast Forword) both worked for my son who is dx'd APD. His main trait was mis-hearing words, which resolved after about 6 weeks. We were advised that he'll need to use the program from time to time over his life as it isn't permanent, but it's been months with no need. Plus, u buy TLP upfront, so no additional costs across the years.