ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 06-10-12, 08:14 PM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice
Re: science, math, or physics background ?

I've always been pretty decent with math and physics and such. I find it's a lot better than writing papers and such because there's nothing subjective about it. Either you have it right, or you don't. I'm still at a community college right now, but I've taken all math courses offered (Calc 1-3, differential equations, linear algebra, discrete math) and I'm taking the final physics class next semester. I've done some chem, which I thought was super interesting, but I hated lab because you always had like 300% error because our equipment was **** and the experiments were poorly designed. I've generally been decent at everything in school, but the concrete and logical are best.

My actual degrees are going to be a double major in cognitive and computer science (undergrad). I plan on getting a masters degree in human computer interaction.
Old 06-10-12, 08:20 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,395 Times in 7,188 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

HCI is the most boring subdiscipline of CS on the face of this earth.

Get into something interesting like AI, Graphics or Network Security.

Just saying

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-11-12, 03:05 AM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
HCI is the most boring subdiscipline of CS on the face of this earth.

Get into something interesting like AI, Graphics or Network Security.

Just saying
Well I was going to do User Experience Design, then I realized that I was more interested in the actual interaction paradigm part. Essentially this is what I wanted to do, but now they did it. I am upset: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/t...play-hands-on/

After looking into it it's not as versatile as an implementation I would have made, but you get the idea. I want things to work better.
The Following User Says Thank You to tortilaman For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-11-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-12, 01:55 PM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,395 Times in 7,188 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-12-12, 12:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

alan1 has a spectacular aura aboutalan1 has a spectacular aura about

Never liked math but loved the biological sciences. Became a surgeon though I am retired now. I always thought I was intellectually lazy as a kid since I could never study anything for more tha 20 minutes at a time before needing a break. Fortunatley I could memorize lots of stuff in short periods of time when I was younger. How others could sit and focus for hours was always a mystery to me. The operating room was the place where I could superfocus. Later in my career when surgery became more routine and therefore less interesting it became increasingly more difficult to focus even there. That is when I quit before I would hurt someone. I used to love the OR but now I don't miss it.
Old 06-12-12, 12:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,246 Times in 944 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

That is me, too. I love biology, microbiology etc. I liked genetics a great deal. I like chemistry a lot. I found chemistry lab very interesting and exciting.

Math i am weak at. It does not interest me. I find this with Physics too. It is kind of funny. They told me i could not take chemistry without taking college algebra. I took Chem 1 & 2, Organic Chem 1 & 2, and Biochemistry without College Algebra.

I HAD to take math to graduate, but i put it off til the end. I needed it for my major (Biology and Nursing). I had to have Statistics for nursing and had already taken that, too, even though College Algebra was a prerequisite. I did not take College Algebra until the 2nd semester of my senior year, and i took it as a night class at a Jr college and transferred it in. I was supposed to take a 3 credit hour Calculus, too, and was planning to take it that summer, and the university sent me a letter congratulating me for completing all the requirements for my May graduation. So i graduated and received my degrees WITHOUT taking that Calculus class i "needed" for a Bachelors in Biology. I was not unhappy about this, because I had taken math in high school and had a terrible time with it.

Hopefully i cannot be stripped of my degrees for lucking out of that Calculus class. It was 17 years ago. LOL. I passed my nursing boards without any trouble and have been an RN since then, too.

I think most of the problem is, it was never taught to me the way it should have been, and i have developed a phobia about it. I can figure out and answer algebra problems in my head often. I just dont know how to write it out on paper.

I adore biology and chemistry, though.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
The Following User Says Thank You to Joker_Girl For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-12-12)
Old 06-12-12, 02:46 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,899 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
Never liked math but loved the biological sciences.

I always thought I was intellectually lazy as a kid since I could never study anything for more tha 20 minutes at a time before needing a break.

Fortunatley I could memorize lots of stuff in short periods of time when I was younger.

How others could sit and focus for hours was always a mystery to me.
It simply boggles my mind, how two different minds can vary so dramatically. It's like we are exact opposites and it just reenforces what I already knew, that I should avoid biology at all costs going forward! LOL
The only overlap that seems to exist is that I find genetics fascinating. I could see myself working in biology as long as it was statistical analysis and I never have to touch "squishy things."
Old 06-12-12, 03:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,634 Times in 1,072 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future

I come from a heavy engineering family, as far back as can be remembered my dad's side has been filled with engineers... even the surname relates to engineering, thus i do have a heavy science and maths, though... while i do have some skill in the maths and sciences i tend to do better in the language and humanities areas, like psychology, philosophy and I have a much greater aptitude towards language than my parents do, heck... im probably one of the first in my families entire lineage to not take a engineering job of some sort (though i am pursuing a teaching career in math and science so there is some relationship there)
Old 06-12-12, 02:00 PM

Thanked 17,450 Times in 7,287 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I was pretty much discouraged from anything I was interested in doing by my father. In retrospect, I was one of only three students in my middle school that qualified for advanced math classes (talk about individualized attention!) and took Honors-track everything through High School and graduated with impressive grades and test scores.

However, because I was somehow unable to read my father's mind and find out which of his expectations I wasn't living up to took top priority, I ended up studying Spanish and drifting around completely unrelated jobs until getting married and staying home with kids.

Once it finally got through to me that I wasn't as stupid as my father had told me I was, and had to brush up on things so I could help with homework my kids were bringing in from their Advanced Placement classes, I started gorging myself on information about biology, genetics, neurology, and learning how to weigh the value of evidence. Not nearly as good as a formal education and/or a career, but I do regularly check myself to see if it's genuine knowledge on my part, or just the Dunning-Krueger Effect in action. . .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Abi (06-12-12), Drewbacca (06-12-12)
Old 06-17-12, 03:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

To me its weird because having ADHD I know can make you seem self absorbed but the more I study math physics and astronomy the more humbled I become.
Old 06-17-12, 04:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

For the longest time I gave myself grief for having such varied interests. Such as how can I love hockey but also want to study astronomy. This guy helped me with that