ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-12, 12:33 PM

VioletC is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Psychologist-in-training finally accepts ADHD diagnosis

Hello there,

I have been lurking on the forums for some time, but this is my first post.

My story is a somewhat typical ADHD-I one. I was a smart kid who sometimes hyper-focused and sometimes daydreamed in class. I did fine in school because I didn't really need to listen. Once I got to college, and then grad school for psychology, I got bummed out because I felt like I wasn't meeting my potential. I was convinced I had Major Depressive Disorder, but my psychiatrist said he thought I had ADHD. We compromised, and I took Wellbutrin for ~2 years. Then I had the worst urinary tract infections EVER, two of which resulted in hospitalizations for kidney infections, and my new doctor (I had moved across the country) and I discovered this is a rare, but documented, side effect of Wellbutrin. I switched to Ritalin to control the wandering mind, and now take Focalin XR because I didn't like the feeling of getting speedy at work, with Ritalin boosters if I have to work late.

I am like a poster child for high-functioning ADHD-I, well treated with medication. I work as a psychologist-in-training (I have finished my masters and Ph.D academic work, now I'm working on hours for my license) with formerly homeless people with psychiatric disabilities and chaotic drug use patterns, and I am so much happier now that I realize that I can take some control back from the flights of daydreaming I used to have.

Before, it was like I had so many projects that I knew I was capable of doing, but couldn't decide to pay attention to actually doing them. Now, it's still like I have SO many projects, and sometimes I don't feel like doing them (like right now, when I should be entering my clinical notes into my work database), but I know that I can if I want to, and I don't have to hate myself for being "lazy," which was literally painful before.

I'm not sure if people are curious in this forum about medications and dosage, but I am happy to answer any questions about how Focalin is treating me. It seems from the forums like it's mostly a medication for kids, but I like it just fine, and my doctor thinks it is safer than Adderall, though he prescribes Adderall for my husband, who has intolerable anxiety on Ritalin-based medications.

Thank you all so much for providing a safe-haven for people with these kinds of mental conditions. My intention in joining the forum is to be an additional support, and hopefully the training in psychology could come in handy as well.

--Violet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VioletC For This Useful Post:
AbsentMindProf (06-16-12), mctavish23 (06-16-12), Unmanagable (06-16-12)
Old 06-16-12, 12:45 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,308 Times in 582 Posts
crystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud ofcrystal8080 has much to be proud of
Re: Psychologist-in-training finally accepts ADHD diagnosis

Welcome!

Down a hole, up a rope
Down some pills, up some hope
This karma machine only takes quarters
New age soldier, new age soldier - Matthew Good -Canadian Musician With Bipolar Disorder

Cyclothymia & ADHD
Old 06-16-12, 02:54 PM

Thanked 10,043 Times in 3,161 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Welcome. I'm glad you found us.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-12, 03:35 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,525 Times in 8,788 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Welcome to the neighborhood!

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown